All reviews gazebo room fire pit b bs hunter mountain pool table gourmet breakfast pancakes fresh fruit french toast beautiful antiques omelet thoroughly enjoyed our stay old friends every guest the main house my boyfriend new york
Reviewed October 12, 2017 via mobile

While on a road trip with my boyfriend we simply passed the in and stopped by to see if they had a vacancy which they did. The Inn is absolutely beautiful inside and out. The owner Chuck was extremely kind and personable. As our road trip had been a long one we were tired of going out to eat so we decided as we were sitting outside with Chuck to get takeout. Another couple who were staying decided to join us and myself my boyfriend the other couple and Chuck had a great meal around the fire with great discussion great wine and made great friends. The room was perfect the breakfast was absolutely delicious and I will recommend it to my friends and we will certainly be back. Thanks again Chuck for a great time and I hope you enjoy the gift I left you LOL

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julie S
Charles T, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2017

Albeit a short visit, the camaraderie was immediate. Chinese food around the firepit and great conversations. We enjoyed your visit and are thankful for your compliments. The gift was unexpected but also appreciated. We hope you visit again and get to stay longer next time. Thanks for stopping by.

Reviewed October 2, 2017

Chuck certainly is quite a decorator and cook, but as an innkeeper (who has his inn on the market--there's a For Sale sign on his front yard) he leaves much to be desired. I noticed that when my first review was posted, Chuck denied everything negative, as he has done with other negative reviews--calling them fabrications. But I can assure you everything I am writing is 100% true and actually happened. I have absolutely nothing to gain by writing the truth and Chuck should man-up and accept responsibility for his behaviors, actions and words. I was asked by Trip Advisor to re-write my review to make it more "family friendly," so I'm obviously not allowed to write everything how they actually happened. I will, in this version of the same review, have to leave out some details but hopefully you can read between the lines to learn the facts. What follows is the list of problems my wife and I experienced. (1) The problems with Chuck started when he called me at home immediately after we made an online reservation. I wasn't sure who he was at first but he was quite curt in stating three times that we needed to be there at exactly the time we said we would. I was a little taken aback by his attitude and I asked him who he was. When he said he was the owner and manager, I was a little surprised that the innkeeper himself would be so unfriendly and would have adopted such a negative attitude. He did not leave a good first impression and I wondered what I had gotten myself into. (2) When we arrived, he began reeling off the rules of the house to my wife and I. It wasn't just a list of things to know. It was a list of well-rehearsed rules, bordering on commands (e.g., "Do not EVER use the front door!" One after another after another. When I asked him to clarify one of his rules, his answer was curt as if I had bothered him to ask him. (3) As I gave him my credit card to pay for our stay, he spoke about buying all of the expensive antiques he has around his inn. He asked us if we were easily offended and, when my wife, speaking for herself, said "No," he obscenely and unbelievably told us that for the price he paid for one of the objects he should have received a [I am not allowed to write what he actually said] from the seller. I was disgusted. (4) I quickly changed the subject and asked where there are places to eat around there. He again curtly stated that he had emailed all of that to me. When I said I didn't get the email, he said that maybe I just didn't read the email. I showed him the only email I had received (only the confirmation from the site we reserved the room) and then he quickly changed his story to the fact that he has been having a problem with the email service he uses. Again, rather than simply hand us printed directions to restaurants he unprofessionally accused me of something that was actually his fault. (5) The next day, when our toilet became clogged (low water pressure in the bathroom) my wife walked up to Chuck to let him know the toilet was clogged and he said that she "shouldn't have filled it up." A disgusting and unprofessional response, but it was starting to fit a profile of a disturbed man. (6) While my wife and I were outside on the patio having a private and personal conversation, Chuck walked out with a drink in his hand and just sat down uninvited and began telling his personal woes. He didn't ask if he could join us--he just impolitely sat down and began talking, especially about his own personal problems. I didn't go to a B&B to hear the innkeeper's problems!! (7) With only a few guests who were staying there, I would have thought Chuck would learn our names. But he never bothered to and we were just sir and ma'am to him. I had to laugh when he said he is a "people person." That simply couldn't be further from the truth. (8) He has a lock box on the thermostat, which doesn't allow us to turn up our own heat (it was 45 degrees at night and we froze). (9) There was a very strange odor in the Gazebo room (my wife also reported it in her review). Even leaving the windows open didn't clear the air. It was as if something had died in the walls (we had heard scratching in the walls one night and I'll have to assume some animal died). (10) The refreshments that were left out for guests in the main room downstairs were never replenished during our stay--the pile just got lower and lower. (11) With all of Chuck's decorations and furniture that he has in his inn (he owns an antique store across the street and he must use his inn for overflow), it was very hard to move around the home. In sum, Chuck is almost like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde--it's a little bizarre how he acts. He can be somewhat nice (mostly to the women--he seems to be more comfortable talking with the women during breakfast) but mostly he is condescending, rude, unprofessional, and simply not welcoming. In my opinion, it is a very good thing that he is selling his inn and moving away. He has been in the business way too long and I get the impression that he simply just doesn't care about his guests anymore. I can't stress more strongly that you should read all of the negative reviews because they more accurately describe what it's going to be like for you when you stay at the Fairlawn Inn (unless of course, you happen to catch him when he is more like Dr. Jekyll than Mr. Hyde). Good luck!! You are seriously going to need it.

Room Tip: Do not stay here period. But if you choose to stay, don't stay in a front room. You will hear the traffic all night long.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marc M
Charles T, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2017

I try to respond to each review and will do so in this case also. His initial review was removed for inappropriate commentary so therefore it was removed.

It is my policy to first send an email requesting an estimated time of arrival to guests that do not identify their approximate arrival time. If the guest does not respond to the email I do call and ask that same question. Being a small property check in times are specific and we have late check in procedures if they choose to come before or after those times.

If this guest received a confirmation (as he indicated he did) we attach directions, an area restaurant list and things to do in the area on every confirmation. I also keep the same information at the front desk in the event they request them on arrival. I happily make suggestions and reservations after soliciting what they would like to eat.
We do offer a tour and orientation to each guest, indicating where to get their complimentary snacks, cookies, fresh fruit, Keurig coffee machine, ice, glassware and hot water for tea – all of which are available 24/7. We share breakfast times, internet WIFI access passwords, where keys work etc. They are not rules but information to insure their time here is optimal. We have three entrance doors keyed identically and the front door is not keyed alike so therefore the request to not use it.

This guest’s comments are a fabrication and in every case an overstatement of the facts. I am proud of my guest service skills as indicated on a majority of the reviews published. I would never have made the comments he referred to, nor be rude to any guest.
We do have covers on the thermostats and would have happily adjusted the temperature had they made the request. They were here in August the temperatures do fluctuate and keeping guests comfortable relies on their feedback and request. We do not have things scratching in the walls and have no complaints about the odor in the room.

The inn is for sale but it has nothing to do with our continuing operation. We offer the same quality experience as reflected in the other mainly five-star reviews. We continually upgrade and maintain the inn to the same high standard regardless.
There is a delicate balance in visiting with guests, some want to spend time with the innkeeper and are inquisitive, others prefer to be on their own with minimal interactions. I thought we had nice conversations but was obviously mistaken. In addition to this being my business it is my home and going to the patio and relaxing after check ins is nothing to apologize for.

I am quite taken aback by this commentary and would assure any guest coming to the Fairlawn that we offer a great environment within which to relax and enjoy yourselves. We work hard to continue a high standard of care. I am unsure of why this guest reacted this way but will continue to do the best we can to welcome each guest cheerfully.

Reviewed August 31, 2017

My review will focus a bit more on the Inn itself. My husband has already addressed the issues with Chuck in his review so I won't address that in mine. The Inn itself is a beautiful old Victorian House with many lovely pieces of antique furniture, pictures, etc. We stayed in the Gazebo room which, as my husband mentioned, is in the front of the house so it faces the street which is definitely noisy. I would have chosen a different room had I known that in advance. There were other rooms available when we were there and I had the chance to look at them as well. They were nicely appointed and everything was very clean. There was a smell in our room which I still don't know what it was. I have to mention that the bath/shower was very nice. A claw-foot tub with a big shower head and also, a handheld shower head which is nice. The water pressure was great in the shower and got nice and hot. I'm not sure what they wash their towels in but the towels were very soft and nice. Chuck uses excellent products in the bath as well. Paul Mitchell shampoo and conditioner as well as a peppermint body wash which smells great and invigorating. There is definitely attention to detail in all of the rooms. The breakfasts each day were also very good. Chuck is a good cook and the presentation was very nice. Fresh fruit every day plus a choice of various breakfasts off of a set menu for the day along with a nice banana raisin bread or some type of cinnamon roll, etc. As my husband mentioned, there is a lounge type room with a TV and a bar that has different snacks, chips, popcorn, cookies, apples plus a small fridge with different drinks. This is also very nice. The grounds of the property were beautifully manicured and decorated with a nice patio with tables, umbrellas and chairs near a pretty pond with a little waterfall and a few fish in it. There is also a nice fire-pit in the middle of the patio that we saw being used one night. It's a very relaxing atmosphere sitting outside and looking at the mountain or watching the birds and wildlife.
Despite the issues that occurred during our stay, the Inn is a lovely place and nice for a little getaway. I believe that Chuck has a lot on his mind due to his desire to sell this Inn and move on. I'm not discounting the things that were said before and during our stay. I just chose to focus more on the Inn itself.

Room Tip: Check out a room that isn't right in the front of the house because of the street noise
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Charles T, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2017

Thanks for taking the time to review the inn and offer your commentary it does reflect our attention to detail and concern for our guests. We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your positive experience here.

I am in the rooms daily and have not experienced an odd odor in the Gazebo room. I will continue to check to insure it, like every room in the inn smells fresh and clean.

Again thanks for addressing your stay in a more positive manner. If you had called us directly we could have discussed room options and steered you to a quieter room. The Gazebo room is hands down the most popular room in the inn, the bed surrounded by windows and with gorgeous mountain views. It is on the front of the house - main street but nighttime traffic is minimal but we do have quieter rooms.

Reviewed August 17, 2017 via mobile

What a pleasant surprise the Fairlawn Inn turned out to be. This beautifully decorated historic inn set on gorgeously landscaped grounds was just what this stressed out, overworked couple needed. There were so many outdoor spaces, to, to relax and enjoy the mountain views -- an upstairs gazebo, charming front porch and lovely patio equipped with a fire pit. Chuck, the innkeeper, was fabulous and his breakfasts are legendary!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Charles T, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2017

I like legendary... we appreciate you taking time to review us and thank you for your commentary. Come see us again soon.

Reviewed August 12, 2017

We had a wonderful experience at the Fairlawn Inn. Our innkeeper, Chuck, was exceptionally accommodating. We knew we would be arriving late for check-in and he made sure to let us know where to find our keys to easily let ourselves in. Breakfasts are delicious and filling, including fresh fruit and home baked goods. Chuck is a font of knowledge of the area and was always willing to share tips on the best sights to see and best places to eat. Our room was cozy, wonderfully appointed, with an abundant supply of hot water for baths and showers after days of exploring the Catskills. The garden is in full bloom in August and so peaceful to just sit, relax, and soak up the views of the looming mountains. I would definitely recommend the Fairlawn Inn for any visitor looking to spend a few days in the Catskills of Greene County.

Room Tip: The Opal Room was perfect for a family of three.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Charles T, Owner at Fairlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2017

Thank you for your review and commentary. We are glad to have provided a comfortable atmosphere within which to explore the area. We live in a beautiful area with many fine places to visit, restaurants to enjoy. We hope to see you again soon and thanks for the glowing commentary.