“A Beautiful Castle with So Much History!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Oheka Castle

Oheka Castle
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Huntington
NY
“A Beautiful Castle with So Much History!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

Received a Groupon overnight stay as a Christmas Gift. We just returned home. Castle is BEAUTIFUL. They need to work on the front desk staff. They had given wrong information as to the time of the tour. I had even called one day in advance to be sure of the tour time because that was on our must do list. Sadly missed it due to the wrong time they had given us (11AM instead of 10AM). They offered us a tour with a bus load of Elementary children, and we tried, but clearly it wasn't the same. Also we were made to wait outside in the cold for 5 minutes before we could even enter the caste , while a bridal party took their pictures.
We would go back for another visit, because it is so beautiful and full of history, but a word of advice... go during the week, NOT on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. The castle is clearly used mostly for a Wedding Venue as well as Business events.!! All in all, worth the trip!

Room Tip: Groupon is the only way to go... Rooms are very expensive otherwise.
1 Thank BeckyNY

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

Let me guess…you have “groupon” and you’re planning to use it soon? Mine came with accommodation, castle tour for two ($50 value), two complimentary cocktail drinks and continental breakfast.

The hotel is located about 45 minutes from Manhattan. There’s not much to do around there unless you’re a golf lover. I suggest a Horse Riding trail for $40 (per person/per hour) at Sweet Hill Stable. Its 5 minutes from the hotel.

There are too many fine prints. I understand that the rules are intended for the well being of the hotel guest, BUT…When you’re staying at a luxury hotel, you expect to be pampered and treated like royalty. You suppose to fell relax + happy going to that particular hotel. I didn’t feel this way at the beginning.

Reservation was made quickly and easily, but never got the confirmation letter as promised. Called the 2nd time to get the confirmation letter and we got it. Then we had some (concierge) questions and emailed twice and again no respond at all.

ENTRANCE/GARDEN: you have to go through some houses then you’ll see the hotel’s gate. As you approach the gate, you’ll enter this beautiful gravel driveway surround with evergreen trees on both sides (one way in, one way out). As of March 12, the reflecting pools are filled with water in the garden area. See pictures above.

VALET: Complimentary valet parking is included. They require all keys to be left at front desk in case of filming and photo shoots. Valet was fast and efficient.

FRONT DESK/CONCIERGE/BELL PERSON: the “Grand Stair” is the first thing you’ll see when you enter the castle. Front desk is located to the right of it. Check in was quick- its look like they already have all the room assigned and keys were made for all guests arriving that day. The front desk looks like a typical office, not a reception desk. I didn’t see where the concierge or the bell people were located.

ROOM: there are 32 rooms, 4 floors. The owner (Gary) lives in the castle so expect to see him around with Mia-she’s a cutie! The hotel is shaped like the letter “E”. We’re assigned to room #320, which face the back of the castle. Our view: golf course. King side bed, sofa, 2 televisions, complimentary snacks/waters, DVD player, VHS player, 2 robes ($145 added to your bill if you take it), large bathroom with soaking tub and standing shower with L'Occitane amenities. You can’t open the window. They should upgrade the iron; the current one doesn’t have a retractable cord! We didn’t hear our neighbors, but could hear the water running on both sides when they turn it on or use the toilet.

TOUR: it’s at 10am and it’s about an hour long. Bring your camera! You can take pictures “because we’re not a museum” as mentioned by the tour guide. If you read the fine prints, NO JEANS allowed. LOLs, you can tell some people did do their homework. Some people came with suit and tie while other wore jeans and sneakers. If I were you, dress casual- you definitely don’t need to wear a suit! We asked one of the valet attendants, he said there’s really no dress code. The tour guide gave us the history of the castle (you can read it yourself on the website), took us around the castle to the see the ballrooms, the reflecting garden, the bridal suite, the bar, the library, Charles Chaplin’s room. I like my room compared the bride suite (Room#401). The only thing I like about the bridal suite is the size, the view of the garden and the tub. I find Chaplin’s room interesting because there are so many antiques, collections and information of Oheka in the media. So I found out that Kevin JONAS, Anthony WEINER, Michael LOHAN all got married here (just to name a few). The Clintons stayed here, the show Royal Pains filmed here and the castle is used in a lot of commercials and photo shoots.

Here are some of the fine prints I mentioned earlier:
- Dress code: country club casual or evening attire in all area according to website/brochure and confirmation letter. We found out that this was not the case when we got there! People can wear jeans, sneaker and t-shirts in all area of the estate.
- 21 yrs old to book a room/18 yrs old to check in.
-No outside food or drink.
-Non-Smoking hotel, so no need to request a non-smoking room! Violator will be charge a recovery fee of $250 + taxes.
-check in is at 3pm + check out is at… I don’t know: 11am on website/brochure and 12 noon on confirmation letter.
-Late check out? Half night’s rate between 11am-2pm and full night’s rate after 2pm.
- Rate is for double occupancy so if you have extra guest the fee is $75, crib, microwave, frig is $ 25 per night + taxes. It’s $35 on the confirmation letter.
- Continental breakfast included up too guests from 8:30-10:30 a.m.; Non-registered guest is an additional $25 + taxes. Very friendly and attentive staff!!
- 24 hrs fitness center -we didn’t use.
- Non-Party Clause: they’ll charge you $1500 if they find out that partied in your room!
-Only dogs allowed with a cleaning fee of $200 per pet/per day!
-One Bride policy, which means that if you got married off property, you better take your gown off before going to the castle!

Overall the castle is beautiful, our stay was fine. It’s definitely a great opportunity for amateur photographer + a romantic place for love birds.

Managements might want to look at their policies over as you can see there are a lot of discrepancies and have someone follow up on emails.

Btw, the castle is still in the process of restoring so don’t be picky-you definitely see cracks here and there!

9 Thank tantam0unt
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

Absoutely Beautiful Hotel. The architecture is stunning and truely grand and story behind the castle and its owner is amazing.

The grounds are lovely, perfectly groomed and manicured. Everything is top notch. The service is friendly and attentive. The food is very good at the restaurant as well. As the other reviewers mentioned, the owner Gary, is a great guy and makes you feel that you are at a home away from home. Oheka Castle is a must Stay and must See if you visit Long Island. Oheka Castle is the perfect short term getaway and we will be back when the gardens are in bloom! We look forward to the new Spa!

1 Thank swiftlysaid38
woodbridge, nj
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

I purchased a night on Groupon as a gift for my husband. The Castle is breathtaking. I had booked a king sized bed and they gave us a queen. Not a problem--they asked us to view the 2 rooms (they are all different) and pick one we liked.They were so nice about the change. We sat in the bar, where the owner introduced himself. It had to be one of the most magnificent places I have ever been. Continental breakfast was great the next day. We had a burger and dessert in the bar area--AMAZING. The service was unbeleiveable. Everyone there was so friendly. I recommend the Oheka to anyone looking to have a fabulous weekend. It was even more wonderful than the pictures. I can only say good things--I had read other reviews that were not as positvie--so not the case in our experience.

Room Tip: I saw 3 of the rooms--they were spotless and all decorated differently.
1 Thank shopinjean
Caldwell, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

My husband and I had a little overnight getaway to this magical place..... Truly a castle with wonderful suite and meticulously clean bathroom. We very much enjoyed the atmosphere, but the staff, oh my.... very friendly, generous and attentive..... While my husband and I were enjoying an after dinner drink at the lovely bar, the owner Gary came over to "chat"... No pretense... we felt like we were talking with a buddy..... He chatted about everything, but started off by saying," Hi, I am Gary and welcome to my home".... geeze Food good. SO if you get the chance with Groupon, GO, GO, GO!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank caldweff
Bay Shore, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I surprised my girlfriend with a short trip to Oheka Castle. As soon as you arrive at the gate you know it's not your normal luxury hotel. It's a truly beautiful place. The room had an extremely comfortable king size bed and a 2 person Jacuzzi in the bathroom. I used this surprise trip to pop the question, and the garden was the perfect place to do it. It was winter so the reflection pools were empty, but it didn't matter SHE SAID YES.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Chris F
Newtown, connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

My husband and I spent one night at Oheka castle on a groupon coupon. We were treated like royalty. It was a quiet midweek stay so we had the castle to ourselves. We got a whitney room , room 319 with a king size bed and a two -man whirlpool tub. Continental breakfast was included as was two drinks of our choice from their bar and a tour of the castle the next day. We went to Legal Seafood ( about 10 minute drive ) in Huntington for dinner. Our trip was on Jan. 31,2012 but there wasn't any snow. This is also a slow time for them for weddings. If one could afford it what a place for a wedding. They have 32 rooms for people to stay. I don't think I will forget the experience of staying in a castle , was a museum.. Was wonderfully restored . Great time.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Jeanne L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntington
3.5 km away
Garden City Hotel
#3 of 4 in Garden City
5.2 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Melville

Been to Oheka Castle? Share your experiences!