“A Castle, A Home”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Huntington
Yonkers, New York
“A Castle, A Home”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

My husband and I visited Oheka last year on a day trip and were delighted with the property......so, we went back last week for an overnight stay and came home delighted.......this is a castle, it is a home, it is grand, it is cozy, it is magnificent and it is warm.....everything about this hotel is special....it was rescued and reborn....it is home and it is shared with all.......Part of what makes your stay special is that the owners do live there and love to chat with their guests......all the rooms have photos that show what sad condition the building was in and the glory it is now.....the breakfast that comes with your stay is a continental one...but the food is superb....even the fruit was great.....I ordered from their breakfast menu, had french toast and was so pleased with it......This is a great getaway and makes a great gift! Our room was small but attractive......the only negative I had was that the jets in the bath tub did not work well at all and I could not use it.....also, my husband felt the lighting in our room could have been better......they even turn down the beds at night.....this was really nice....would have liked a piece of chocolate on my pillow...even a hershey kiss.....

Room Tip: Our room faced the golf course and we liked that....don't think the front rooms had as nice a vi...
1 Thank christmas152

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
rural hinterland
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Hubby and I just returned from a one night stay at this magnificent castle, and I am still overwhelmed by its beauty and sheer miracle how it was saved!

I had bought a Groupon back in November, but waited until April to travel, as the weather would be much better, the trees and bushes would have leaves, and everything would be brighter.

I was right, the garden was a big part of this whole "package" and in November it might have been less attractive.

I have combined that Groupon purchase with Ebates (google that and take 3% off each Groupon deal!), and since I had joined Ebates just for this Oheka deal, I got $20 chopped off the already great price of $179.

Yes, I hardly dare to write it - we had a Whitney room ($495) plus 2 drinks at their bar plus breakfast plus 2-hour-tour (including refreshments like coffee and cookies) for only $159.

I should have bought more Groupons to get another trip out of this, but alas, I didn't know this property and didn't buy more, just one. Now I am hoping they will offer more deals, because I really want to go back and stay for another night, and another, and another, but we cannot afford the rack rates of these fine rooms.

We had a Whitney room (#321) overlooking the golf courses, and we were very happy with our accommodations. We had a flat screen TV, a King bed and a chair, plus a desk with another chair. The hallway was nice and long and offered enough space for setting up our suitcase, and the closet had 2 robes which we gladly used after the baths and showers we enjoyed.

The bathroom was nicely devided into 3 sections. You entered from the room's hallway and would stand in front of the sink, to the left would be the glass enclosed tiled shower stall. To the right from the sink was a separate room, here was the toilet with the bath tub. Now this tub was generously sized and ergonomically shaped, plus it had jets.

Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to get them on to work. The next morning we asked about that (we thought we'd notify them of a malfunction) when we had to learn that the timer at the light switch was actually there to run the jets. Uhm, that was unexpected and new to us, and we wished there would have been a sign of information about this. This is one reason why I said it was rather 4.5 than 5 stars.

The other reason is that they only have free wireless Internet. I had called a day before our trip and asked about that. I explicitly asked whether "free wifi" means that the internet connection is for wireless (mobile) devices only or whether we can bring our (heavy!!) old laptop and plug that in to get online. I was told that there would be a cable to plug it in.

To be safe we brought our own network cable along, and while on the road I became aware that I had never asked whether that wired Internet was even free. Anyway, even if we had to pay, we would, because Hubby had an important project going on in his office and needed to get some emails from his co-workers to be updated.

Well, we got there and found out there was no way to connect with a cable. The internet access was only mobile, wifi. We had carried the heavy laptop invain, and Hubby didn't get his updates. This is the other reason why I am not 100% happy.

The bed was very comfortable, not too soft and not hard either, just right. Beautiful old fashioned Damast sheets and pillows, I loved that! Oh, and they gave us free snacks and free water in the room! We have that in Kimpton hotels also, because we are Kimption members, but here it was given to anyone without membership. Nice!!

I also liked the upscale toileteries from l'Occitane which were waiting in the bath room! Bathing cube, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and soap - wonderful!

We had a coupon for 2 drinks from their bar and we took advantage of that! I chose a great cocktail with Amaretto (Sunset Surprise, I believe, it was) whle Hubby took a Manhattan. We were both very satisfied with our choices. We only took one each, as we are not heavy drinkers and would have been affected by the alcohol, had we taken more than just those 2 cocktails. At the bar were fresh nuts to snack on plus some bowls with vegetable chips. I saw many wellknown brands of liquors in the bar shelves, many from Europe. Everything was top notch!

Next morning we went downstairs for the continental breakfast, and it was great! There would have been an option to get also hot dishes made to order, but I assume they would not have been included in our package, so we didn't take that. I am from Germany, we don't eat hot things anyway for breakfast (other than a boiled egg).

So we were enjoying the pastries, the fresh berries and melons and grapes etc, the joghurts and breads and cakes. Additionally there would have been packaged cereals and granolas, but we didn't take those. There were 4 choices of juice, I took from the Grapefruit juice and liked that well. Hubby had coffee.

During the breakfast the owner (Gary Melius) showed up and spoke to all the guests. I thanked him for his great work of restoring this great place and the fact that we were able to get a little piece of his wonderful property for one night. He is a very nice man and very down to earth.

After the breakfast we went upstairs to pack up our luggage, then checked out at 11 am, and then we joined the free tour. This tour costs normally $25 per person, but we got it as a part of our Groupon deal. We thought it would be like 45 minutes, but it really took almost 2 hours. This is not a complaint! We liked it that way!

We were led all over the place, the garden, the basement, the pantry, the construction sides, the ballroom, library, ladies' sitting room, Charlie Chaplin's room, the bar, the suites, the... you name it!

We saw the pool room, which is unfortunately declared unfit for the public, because of some modern sanitary laws. The pool was built in another era and has not the requirements of today's laws, so it can't be used by the public. That is sad, because the depth and shape of this pool looked very inviting to me. Pool room had ivy growing inside the room (yes!) and nice greek styled statues were overlooking the pool hall.

The public rest rooms were amazing! There were pads and tampons offered in the ladies' stalls, and there was not only l'Occitane soap offered, but also lotion of the same brand. I had never seen anything like that before in a public rest room! Beautiful frescos everywhere, also here, in the toilets (to put it quite mundanely).

After the tour ended around 2pm, we were led back to the dining room where we had our breakfast earlier that day. Now there were refreshments waiting for us, coffee and tea and fresh cookies made in the estates kitchen. And we were invited to stay in the gardens and estate after the tour! We were very happy to take that offer and made a lot more pictures.

We have stayed on a Tuesday night, and I liked it that way. No wedding party. This is of course the perfect place for a wedding party, but I think it is only fun if you are part of that. If not, it might be annoying. So we deliberately chose a midweek night, and that worked just right.

If there is ever another Groupon (or any other similar deal) offered, I will go back, even in the winter time! It is absolutely grand! And next time I'll know how to operate the jets in the tub, and who knows, maybe by then we'll have a tablet...

Room Tip: our Whitney room (#321) was big and had a King bed, a bath with jetted tub and glass shower stall
3 Thank Albgardis T
Fort Lee, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Spent my Best Birthday in this castle with my husband.
I am a photo geek, and fell in LOVE with this castle asa we arrived.

Many reviewers have already mentioned about the history background/ the details about the rooms etc, but I can tell you what I LOVED:

1) The Castle is so Photogenic inside out!
Just take a walk all over the castle and you'll see what I mean.

2) They use L'occitane products as amenities. Wow! so impressed.

3) The owner Gary. He is a Man!
So friendly, he approached us to greet while we were in the bar.
It was an honor to meet a person like him =)

4) The tour. (Thank Groupon for the Deal)
Even if you check the official website to study the history of the castle,
its worth to attend and you'll get something more =)

My husband and I really love this place.
Friendly Staffs, Clean Rooms, Beautiful Garden,
Free Wi-Fi, TV, DVD Player.
This was my best Birthday experience ever!

3 Thank Kats1978
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We had the good fortune of learning about this spectacular property, via Groupon. For an incredible price, we were able to stay at the OHEKA Castle, which takes one back to what was known as the Gilded Age, as reflected in "The Great Gatsby" by F.Scott Fitzgerald. In the 1980s, Gary, the owner took on the amazing task of restoring this castle. He could have demolished it to build McMansions or even gutted it to build condominiums. Instead, he took on what appeared to be the impossible and saved it. And we the public get to enjoy the experience, even if it is just by way of a tour or dining experience. It appeared that he stayed with the original architecture and thus had to work the 32 guestrooms and suites within the existing framework of window placement for instance. No problem! Remember he could have gone for modern perfection with an entirely new structure. The bathrooms were large and up to date with the luxury one might hope to experience in a high end property.We went off-season and still enjoyed riding along the water and going on lovely trail walks. Our room was large and the king size bed very comfortable. We had dinner within the castle both nights. It was a fine dining experience. Excellent! Every staff member was attentive, warm, and friendly, Even Gary was there each evening to meet his guests. Nothing stuffing. We would enjoy going back in season. The grounds were impeccably perfect! This would be a spectacular place for a wedding weekend or for some other eventful occasion. I would add photos, but can't get this to work. The grand photos I saw on the official site were true.

Room Tip: I imagine we would have been satisfied with any.
1 Thank PJustine
Weymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Just driving up to the castle is fun! You feel as if you are going back in time. We stayed here with a Groupon Deal and it was worth it. The staff is very friendly and you are encouraged to explore and to roam around as you like. Bring a camera as it is very picturesque and decorated wonderfully. We stayed there for dinner and just hung out in the Bar. The owner was there and hanging out with the guests. He was very friendly and grateful to have visitors, which was very refreshing. This is not a stuffy/snobby place but instead a fun and welcoming place to visit or stay. The rooms are amazing and the beds are very comfy. This is a great place for an "Alice in Wonderland" escape.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank emtrip27
Irvine, California
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We stayed at Oheka Castle because we were attending a wedding there and were quite disappointed in it as a hotel. I applaud Gary, the person who has put millions into renovating it, but there is much work still to be done. Our room was a decent size, but didn't have a desk. The window was small and in the bathroom, the window was too high to look out. The furniture is traditional, but not the highest quality and much of it has chips. This was the first hotel I've been in for years that did not have a flat screen TV; there was a big old fashioned TV in the armoire. The bathroom was a great size with a jacuzzi, but we didnt' use it. I liked the two sinks, but they were so low, my back hurt using them. I also liked the makeup table, but the light was too bad there to use the makeup mirror. Breakfast was good, as was the free tour. My main complaint is that the place is oriented toward parties, not guests. Access to the first floor is limited; the elevator -- the only one, so it's a guest and freight elevator, not very attractive -- only goes to what they call the Lobby floor, which is the second floor. To go out the main entrance or to use the fitness room, which is in a different building, you must go down a beautiful two sides staircase. Unfortunately, this means that if people are taking photographs, you can't exit and you can't bring your luggage to or from your room unless you want to deal with the stairs. The fitness room was not very well equipped and didn't even have water. The TVs on the equipment didn't work. If you are going here just to have a nice romantic weekend, this is not the place. Go someplace that is more guest oriented and things are in better condition.

5 Thank Irvinereviewer
Dover, Delaware, United States
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We Bought the groupon deal for a visit here for $179. We was going to be in the area (3.5 hours from home) and decided this would be a great way to enjoy the overnight stay. I called 3 weeks out from the date that I wanted to stay and was told that there were no rooms available. I was a bit shocked since I gave, what I considered, plenty of lead-time. I then re-evaluated our stay in NY and was able to accommodate any day that week that the offer was good for (Sunday through Thursday) only to be told that there were no rooms for that entire week. The first thing I was told was that I could pay an additional $100 for an upgrade to a suite. I stated that I was not interested in that. I was then told that they would extend the offer for up to to additional weeks. That also didn't work since I was quite a ways away and would be in town for one day during the week that I extended my availability for. I was told that there was no other option. I requested to speak to a manager and was transferred to voicemail and left a message requesting a return call. That didn't happen. I called again the next day at 4pm, giving a manager plenty of time to return a call and again, no manager was available. I did get a return call this time and was met with the same indifference. I stated that the offer for me to pay an additional $100 was no accommodation at all since that was the price difference between the room category in the deal and the next level up anyway. 3.5 hours is a bit of a drive with no other function in the area for me to maximize my investment of drive time, not to mention the expense. I counter-offered by stating that I would pay for the upgraded room if they threw in dinner for two. I was told that dinner was $150 per person and that was out of the question. I then suggested an additional night for price of the upgrade. I was then told that the room was $600 per night and again, no deal. I told him that there was no more accommodations that I was going to make and that I was being more-than-fair since they could not live up to the deal that they offered and I bought. I received the standard and trite reply "There's nothing I can do". I advised him that I would make my options heard and he stated that there was nothing that he could do to stop me, as though I needed his permission to state my case. He then retorted that he will be posting a reply. I welcome his comments since I have told both sides of the story already.

This is likely a very beautiful establishment with a lot to see. Unfortunately, I will never see it. They obviously need business. That is the primary, if not only reason a business will partner with Groupon. Management at Oheka need to keep that in mind when a guest buys the offer and is willing to be flexible with arrival dates and willing to pay more for something they didn't bargain for. This is not the way to get to take advantage of the most-effective and least-expensive advertisement tool : personal recommendations.

By the way, Groupon was the exact opposite. I requested a refund for the deal. I was well-outside the return time-frame. They handle additional requests on a case-by-case basis and sided with me after I told them this story.

33 Thank Jeffery M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntington
3.5 km away
19.9 km away
Garden City Hotel
Garden City Hotel
#2 of 4 in Garden City

Been to Oheka Castle? Share your experiences!