“All time favorite!”

Red Hat on the River
Reserve with OpenTable
Red Hat on the River is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 34 Restaurants in Irvington
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: The Hudson River
Transit: The Metro North (Hudson River Line) Irvington Station is within 100 yards of Red Hat...35 minutes to Grand Central.
Reviewed December 9, 2017 via mobile

We find it hard to believe that we have never reviewed our all time favorite restaurant in Westchester. We love this place! Red Hat is all about the total experience. Love the overall vibe, the energy, the beautiful view of the river from the downstairs tables, great bar with friendly bartenders and waitstaff. Honestly, the food is good, basic French bistro food, but not especially inspired. We enjoy the tuna tartar appetizer and you can never go wrong with their steak frites. They make a good martini. The owner is amazing - his unassuming attention to detail is like none other we've ever witnessed - making guests feel welcomed but also bussing a table or simply adjusting someone's jacket on the back of a chair.

Regardless of the occasion, this is our go-to place. A reason to celebrate, a bad day at work, guests from out of town, date night - whatever the reason, this is our destination. We recommend a table on the first floor by a window. During the summer, go there early and see the sunset over the Hudson River from the roof top deck.

1  Thank PG-NY

Reviewed November 14, 2017

This place has an awesome view of the Hudson River but that isn't all. Their steak frites, caesar salad and mussels were awesome and so was the service. The price is about what you would expect for 5 star service. Would definitely go back.

Reviewed November 9, 2017 via mobile

Since it’s Restaurant Week, my wife and I decided to go here for lunch today. We had a table on the upper level, against the back wall. We both had a lovely view of the Hudson River out the single side window. Since my wife was sitting facing the side of the restaurant, she had a perfect, direct, breathtaking view of the river. I had my back to to window, but the back wall is lined with mirrors, so I could also see the river. I had their hanger steak with frites (french fries) and both were very good. My wife had the grilled Scottish salmon, which came with spinach, french green lentils and pommery mustard-herb dressing. She truly enjoyed both the meal and the view. The only drawback was Hernan T, our waiter. While the rest of the staff were very friendly and efficient, he acted as if doing the job he is being paid to do is well beneath him. I guess he was doing us a favor by dealing with us. Since he was apparently annoyed he had to deal with us, his tip reflected his attitude. In conclusion, the food and view were wonderful. If you go there, which I highly recommend, just make sure not to get Hernan T.

1  Thank Robert V
Reviewed October 21, 2017

We celebrated my husbands birthday. I had the seared tuna sandwich and it was delicious. My husband had the swordfish which was also very nicely prepared. We sat upstairs the noise front the downstairs patrons and the bar was quite loud. The views of the river are wonderful.

Reviewed October 20, 2017

I grew up most of my life in this pretty town. This is a great little restaurant. I had a nice cod dish and my sister seemed to enjoy her entree. I would recommend this place if you happen to be in Irvington. Great location on the river and a nice bar as well.