“Staff makes up for what would otherwise be an avg property”

Jake's 58 Hotel & Casino
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Islandia
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I have stayed and continue to stay at this property for business for what is now about 2 years. I stay here about 4 - 6 business trips per year. The property was not always a Marriott property, but has been a Marriott property for many years. In summary, and to be objective since I stay here a lot. The hotel is showing some age. The rooms are not fully updated to standards of many other Marriott properties, but the staff makes up for it.

Some minor issues at times. Sometimes when taking a shower the water tends to not drain as quickly as you'd like and the water will buildup in the tub a bit, but the water pressure is great. The elevators have tended to cause waits that get you frustrated at times (recently fixed this past trip and working fine this trip) The hotel in general is not up to same standards compared to many other Marriott properties.

All the above said, I enjoy staying here and the staff makes up for what would otherwise be an avg property. Here's why: I've always seen the the staff go overboard with customer service. The lobby staff is always friendly and will greet you. Housekeeping does a great job cleaning the rooms. Any maintenance issues are dealt with in a timely manner. The rooms are fine, the beds are very comfortable and up to Marriott standards, Flat screen TVs and electrical updates so not lacking business productivity. The rooms always tend to be very quiet.

The location is very convenient to the Long Island Expressway, basically easy on and off. The area is very good for taking a walk on the outer road or roads behind the property,, but just be aware of the traffic during rush hour.

For those that usually get access to the concierge, the concierge staff is always friendly and helpful. The food is usually good in the AM & PM (could spring for a nice cake or pie once in a while for desert in PM and could spring for bacon as other concierge levels do in AM). I don't eat at the hotel restaurant too often. I have eaten breakfast on the weekends and the buffet is typical and is fine. I've had a dinner or two at the restaurant and is OK, but I tend to either eat light on the concierge level or go outside the hotel to eat Chinese, diner, or favorite Italian foods. No lack of good local restaurants all over the Island.

Notes: For those that know the area, traffic on the LIE is always a treat. It will backup going west (city bound) during the AM rush hour, so give yourself enough time if going west. The location is central and easy to get to the north or south, or further east or west. Use the HOV lanes is traveling with 2 or more in your car. After 10AM anyone can use the HOV and will save time during rush hour, but make sure you have 2 or more in your car before 10AM for morning rush. Going to the NYC (Manhattan), you might want to think about taking the Long Island Railroad.

There are many restaurants all over the Island, so you don't have to eat at the hotel if you don't want to. Port Jefferson is not far and worth the drive to have dinner and enjoy the area. Obviously you have the entire Island to find great local restaurants. Here are a few recommendations to get you started. Westbury has a great Italian Restaurant, Tesoro Ristorante, 967 Old Country Road, Westbury, NY 11590, (516) 334-0022. Chinese Food, I've eaten here and is close to the hotel and the food was decent. Jade Garden Chinese Restaurant, 555 Route 111 # 5, Hauppauge, (631) 360-1646.

This property usually has lots of weddings on the weekends and during the season, lots of baseball teams. On property parking has never been an issue. I've never experienced bad behavior or noise that has been an issue during the normal business week or when I have to stay over the weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade, you never know. For those that are Platinum, shouldn't be an issue getting a...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank STLRoadWarrior

Reviewed 8 October 2011

My car was stolen from the parking lot of the Marriott Hotel in Islandia. Not only did the management not offer even a condolence, they told me it was public lot-and it's on their property! There are no security cameras and no signs warning "park at your own risk". They told me they had a guy going in and out of the lot; if it's not theirs, what's this about? Another car was also broken into, and no one heard car alarms? My best estimate is that this was an inside job. No offer of compensation, didn't even comp my room! Not only will I never stay there again, but no one from my company will, either.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Carol C
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Restaurant Review Bistro Five-Eight & Bar Upstairs: You may think this place is clean but it is not. Very often people get sick literally ill here and Vomit out in the open, wow! Do you think the people care about you, they really don't, they do not so much they will take the napkin you just used and clean the items for the next person coming in. How is the dip? I really hope you enjoyed it. I know that John and his son yesterday did too, the same exact dip in the same exact ramekin reused over and over until it is gone. I have more, much more and I will be back! Lets just call me "The Echo"

Room Tip: My tip Buy a Entertainment book for every trip you go on, use it and than resell it on ebay/amazon
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Jay F
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I stayed at this hotel in Aug 2011 during Hurricane Irene situation. It was a nice, clean and efficiently managed hotel with no trappings of luxury but business like. The response of the hotel towards guests during Hurricane Irene situation was very confidence inspiring. A very efficient and helping front desk.Good hotel managed by responsive management.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms have good view.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank goyalair
Reviewed 14 September 2011

The room was not updated and not as clean as I prefer. We ate dinner in the hotel the first night we arrived and the food was WAY WAY overpriced and mediocre at best. It was on Thanksgiving and was supposed to be a special dinner. The only thing special about it was that I had to take out a second mortgage to pay for it! My son printed up a map in their business center and they were going to charge us for that too! I talked to the front desk and they removed it from our bill. We went out for breakfast and there was no tea in my room. Upon arriving back with our take out and cups of hot tea/coffee we were asked why we went out I replied that there was no tea in our room. They send up my fave tea and sweetener in a box! That was nice! Also there was a wedding and reception that we could hear and see from our window. They were throwing food into the pool...Would not stay at again.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel!
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank GAK012973
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I've stayed at this hotel quite a number of times over the years and everytime I am never disappointed. The front desk people are always courteous and friendly along with the bar and restaurant empolyees. The rooms are well appointed and the location makes it perfect to hop on the L.I. Expressway. Great hotel!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Flgracie
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Ended up staying at this location because we were attending a nearby wedding. Where to start....
This may of been a nice hotel 10 to 15 years ago but it seems like since then they just sort of stopped trying and just make due with quick fixes and half assed repairs. The AC in our first room was making to much noise to even sleep so we contacted the front desk who first said there were no other rooms and sent a maintenance man up at midnight to try and fix it. After 30 min of banging on it and taking half the wall apart we finally were moved to a new room.

Beware if you get a room that faces the inner loby of the hotel...when events get out at 130am it gets LOUD. Not the hotels fault really but not fun either when you are trying to sleep.

Sunday morning the power went out for about 30 seconds which was enough to reset the alarm clock (god knows when they last changed the battery back up), also the cable and hot water went out for most of the morning so that was even more fun.

The elevators broke down several times while we were there, and when they did work still took 5 to 10 minutes to show up to your floor. Sunday morning we spent 15 minutes waiting to just get from the 3rd floor to the loby to check out. Sure there are stairs but after the 3rd floor they don't go to the loby...just to the outside of the hotel...which in spite of the rain we ended up doing just to get out of there.

They also charge for everything....wifi...local calls....breakfast....I have stayed at much cheaper hotels who give you all those for free....again not the locations choice probably but still disappointing.

To their credit on check out they did give a decent discount for the room due to all the problems but I still have no plan to stay at a Marriott location any time in the future.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank CaptainScience
Also consider these accommodations in or near Islandia
1.6 km away
12.2 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Stony Brook
33.3 km away
Viana Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection

Been to Jake's 58 Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!