All reviews long island front desk the concierge lounge breakfast buffet business trip baseball heaven hotel staff new york marriott wedding tournament bistro event nyc
Reviewed November 19, 2011

We stayed at this hotel Oct 20-21 and November 9-13 for our daughter’s wedding. The ceremony and the reception were held at the hotel. There were over 50 people from Quebec, Canada attending the wedding – overall we had 125 guests.

Let me start by saying that everything was perfect ! The level and quality of service we received was beyond our expectations. We could not have asked for more.

Every day my husband and I had the buffet breakfast in the dining room - $15 per pers. They also have the à la carte menu, but considering the prices we were better off with the buffet. During the weekdays, if you want eggs other than scramble, they will make whatever you want in the kitchen. During the weekend, there is a chef at the buffet egg station who will prepare eggs to your liking. The buffet is plentiful and good.

One evening we had supper in the dining room with family members and friends. Wow ! The service was excellent and so was the food. Very impressive !! I want to especially point out the Cobb Salad. Not only was it good, but I had never seen such a beautiful presentation. Others came to my table to look at it and some even took pictures of it. Bravo !!!

The employees at this hotel are top notch. All of them ! They often check with you to find out if there is anything you need. Many of our guests were provided with cold bottle water, courtesy of the hotel, before leaving to go shopping or to go into the city. They provide a shuttle service to the Central Islip Train Station and the Shopping Centre. Needless to say, everyone was happy.

A very special thanks to the wedding planner and staff. Wow ! Honestly, everyone was impressed on how everything was well planned and coordinated. The tables were set to perfection. Once again, everything was perfect. The layout in the mezzanine for the cocktail hour was beautiful and I could not believe the amount of food that was available for hors-d’oeuvres. Everything was beautifully presented and also very yummy. The food served at the dinner was very good as well. Bravo to the team !

We took advantage of everything the hotel had to offer, the gym and the swimming pool were a hit. The water in the pool was hotter than in the hot tub, lol. It was great ! As the parents of the bride, we were upgraded to a beautiful mini-suite. Once in the room, we received a small bottle of Chardonnay, cheese and crackers – a very nice welcome indeed.
The room was perfect with a nice large closet and a very comfortable king size bed. We had no problem sleeping. The only thing, the bathrooms are small. All the essentials are there, including a nice size counter top. You could not be two people at the same time at the sink – no way.

We stayed 5 consecutive nights at this hotel and we felt as if we were in a mini resort. There are two Lobbies. At the Lower Lobby you have the main reception area, Business Centre, pool and gym, souvenir shop and dining room. At the Main Lobby you have a bar which serves food and the beautiful mezzanine with seating areas which overlooks the dining room and the pool. Very nice ! And of course you have all the different meeting, conference, banquet and party rooms.

Every one in our wedding party was impressed with the quality of service and accommodation.

Even though this hotel is beautiful, it could use a few nips and tuck here and there. Some of the baths are showing their age, but everything is very clean and very well kept.
We had an amazing journey and a beautiful wedding ! To management and to all the employees, thank you !!

Also want to add, during our stay we went to Manhattan using the LIRR (Long Island Train). It’s the only way to go – don’t even bother or think of taking a car. We also went to National Fire Island Seashore Park. Yes, we went to the beach. We could not resist and it was worth it. Very beautiful !

Room Tip: During our first stay, we had a room overlong the pool in the mezzanine. During our second stay, we were on the opposite side of the hotel - looking outside; we could see the trees and the beautiful color of the leaves. We preferred looking outside.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Bruce A, Manager at Jake's 58 Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2011

Dear Mrs. Quebec,

Thank you for your kind words. It was a pleasure to serve you and your guests. We strive to provide best service and accommodations here in Islandia Marriott. We wish a happy, healthy and long life to newlyweds . Looking forward to serve you again.

Bruce Atabek

Reviewed November 12, 2011

At most hotels where they have carts available, they point at it and you do it yourself. Here, a very polite employee had me bring my car up, helped take the heaviest bags out of the car, loaded the cart, took it up to my room and unloaded it there for me. Very striking looking lobby with a great big view upward. Great atmosphere. Not sure what else was going on at the time (school had started - this was late September) but lots of families with kids coming from the pool, running in halls and playing in the vending area but didn't actually ruin my experience, just a note. Extremely well appointed king size bed. Using the TV was a bit of a challenge and parking lot is oddly sloped but those are nits. Checkout was the receipt under the door which is always a plus.

Room Tip: Get a quick user guide for the TV remote. If you just want to watch regular TV it is a challenge to figure out exactly how to do that.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Bruce A, General Manager at Jake's 58 Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment concerning your experience in the Islandia Marriott. I would like thank you for sharing your feedback. The Islandia Marriott takes great pride in delivering what we call “Quality Service and Comfortable Accommodations”. I like you to know that we will consider your recommendation for directions to operate the remote controls in the rooms. We hope to serve you in the future again.
Bruce Atabek

Reviewed October 18, 2011

We stayed at the Islandia Marriott to attend a local wedding offsite. The staff could not have been more courteous. A few weddings were being held onsite while we were there, and noise was not a factor for us, perhaps because we were on the 7th floor. The elevators were broken on our floor so we had to use the dirty service elevator to get downstairs. The room was fine but dated. We would stay here again if in the area. A nice added touch.... iced cold cinnamon-apple infused water in the lobby they make fresh each morning. Help yourself, delicious!

Room Tip: Higher floors and exterior rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank JHalo
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I have stayed and continue to stay at this property for business for what is now about 2 years. I stay here about 4 - 6 business trips per year. The property was not always a Marriott property, but has been a Marriott property for many years. In summary, and to be objective since I stay here a lot. The hotel is showing some age. The rooms are not fully updated to standards of many other Marriott properties, but the staff makes up for it.

Some minor issues at times. Sometimes when taking a shower the water tends to not drain as quickly as you'd like and the water will buildup in the tub a bit, but the water pressure is great. The elevators have tended to cause waits that get you frustrated at times (recently fixed this past trip and working fine this trip) The hotel in general is not up to same standards compared to many other Marriott properties.

All the above said, I enjoy staying here and the staff makes up for what would otherwise be an avg property. Here's why: I've always seen the the staff go overboard with customer service. The lobby staff is always friendly and will greet you. Housekeeping does a great job cleaning the rooms. Any maintenance issues are dealt with in a timely manner. The rooms are fine, the beds are very comfortable and up to Marriott standards, Flat screen TVs and electrical updates so not lacking business productivity. The rooms always tend to be very quiet.

The location is very convenient to the Long Island Expressway, basically easy on and off. The area is very good for taking a walk on the outer road or roads behind the property,, but just be aware of the traffic during rush hour.

For those that usually get access to the concierge, the concierge staff is always friendly and helpful. The food is usually good in the AM & PM (could spring for a nice cake or pie once in a while for desert in PM and could spring for bacon as other concierge levels do in AM). I don't eat at the hotel restaurant too often. I have eaten breakfast on the weekends and the buffet is typical and is fine. I've had a dinner or two at the restaurant and is OK, but I tend to either eat light on the concierge level or go outside the hotel to eat Chinese, diner, or favorite Italian foods. No lack of good local restaurants all over the Island.

Notes: For those that know the area, traffic on the LIE is always a treat. It will backup going west (city bound) during the AM rush hour, so give yourself enough time if going west. The location is central and easy to get to the north or south, or further east or west. Use the HOV lanes is traveling with 2 or more in your car. After 10AM anyone can use the HOV and will save time during rush hour, but make sure you have 2 or more in your car before 10AM for morning rush. Going to the NYC (Manhattan), you might want to think about taking the Long Island Railroad.

There are many restaurants all over the Island, so you don't have to eat at the hotel if you don't want to. Port Jefferson is not far and worth the drive to have dinner and enjoy the area. Obviously you have the entire Island to find great local restaurants. Here are a few recommendations to get you started. Westbury has a great Italian Restaurant, Tesoro Ristorante, 967 Old Country Road, Westbury, NY 11590, (516) 334-0022. Chinese Food, I've eaten here and is close to the hotel and the food was decent. Jade Garden Chinese Restaurant, 555 Route 111 # 5, Hauppauge, (631) 360-1646.

This property usually has lots of weddings on the weekends and during the season, lots of baseball teams. On property parking has never been an issue. I've never experienced bad behavior or noise that has been an issue during the normal business week or when I have to stay over the weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade, you never know. For those that are Platinum, shouldn't be an issue getting a good room and access to the concierge level.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank STLRoadWarrior
Reviewed October 8, 2011

My car was stolen from the parking lot of the Marriott Hotel in Islandia. Not only did the management not offer even a condolence, they told me it was public lot-and it's on their property! There are no security cameras and no signs warning "park at your own risk". They told me they had a guy going in and out of the lot; if it's not theirs, what's this about? Another car was also broken into, and no one heard car alarms? My best estimate is that this was an inside job. No offer of compensation, didn't even comp my room! Not only will I never stay there again, but no one from my company will, either.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business