“A perfect stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grayhaven Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ithaca
Grayhaven Motel
Ranked #10 of 17 Ithaca B&B and Inns
gloucester, NJ
“A perfect stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

I spent hours looking for a hotel in Ithaca that was dog friendly, with a kitchen and close to the State Parks- Greyhaven was more than we could have hoped for! We stayed in the Carriage Suite (rm 7) and it was perfect! Comfy queen bed, plenty of space and a perfect little kitchen. Our retired greyhound LOVED the large, fenced in dog yard and we actually were able to see her run for the first time (we just adopted her)! The location is amazing- right between Robert Treman and Buttermilk Falls and just down the road from major shopping and downtown. It was clean, affordable, comfortable, inviting and so very dog friendly...we can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kate c

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Traveling with elder parent and a dog to visit family....so the biggest advantages to staying at Grayhaven were: location, easy in & out (pull right up to door), dogs welcome, low rates. Those are big selling points and because of those features, I will certainly stay here again.

Scan through and you'll see there have been complaints about this hotel in the past. I don't understand why people expect locally owned motels, inns, etc to have all the amenities of a big chain hotel, while keeping their rates to a fraction of what the chains charge. There are trade-offs here, and it's up to travelers to decide what they will compromise on and what they won't. But you can't have your cake and eat it too, AND expect a tiny price tag!

Less than perfect? There was a faint musty smell to our room. It dissipated after an hour or so. Yes, the decor is somewhat dated. But the room was clean, the beds were comfortable, the baths had been updated and the cost was HALF of what the next least expensive hotel charged.

Fancy? No? Egyptian cotton? Er...no. But, birdfeeders outside the rooms-a nice, enjoyable touch. Wi-fi in every room? No. But they TELL you that on the website. Big breakfast? No. But they're NOT a B & B, folks. So, why complain about the owner kindly offering coffee and baked goods?

If you want a safe, clean, comfortable, spacious, dog-friendly motel room at a low rate, this absolutely fits the bill.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank LindyHikes
Latham, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

I stayed in one of the cottage suites (#10) and was expecting a 'camp' like experience and was pleasantly surprised when that was not the case. The kitchen is newer, stocked with all the essentials. The cottage was clean, had a slight odor (probably from the thick blue carpet), almost everything was comfortable by my standards. The only odd thing was the bathroom. The shower was in a closet (literally) with the toilet and sink across the way in the other closet. Odd setup, but it worked ok for a short weekend stay. At $135 a night, I plan on staying here again.

I was also apprehensive about it being such a dog friendly place and the potential for hearing barking dogs all night (I do not own a dog). The first night I did hear a dog barking for a short period of time, but nothing the second night. It was actually fun watching the dogs play in the fenced in doggy play area. The cottage I stayed in was also a 'no dogs allowed' room.

The Grayhaven is kept up very well by motel standards. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a descent, reasonably place to stay in Ithaca.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amybelle
Buffalo, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2010

Rated as dog-friendly, NOT. Reserved for multiple nights and was informed I would have to switch rooms the second night as they had my room rented to someone else; and, that my service dog would not be allowed in the new room because it was a hypo-allergenic room. ? WHAT? I then went to the Holiday Inn, they were fabulous! Would never recommend or stay at Grayhaven again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
flyingdog, Manager at Grayhaven Motel, responded to this review, 7 January 2011
This person did not make her own reservation, and the original reservation was for only one night. The reserving party did not know her length of stay, as she was bringing a sick dog to Cornell Vet School for treatment, however this information was not divulged until the guest arrived for her one night reservation. All but one room was reserved for more nights stay, including the room she was staying in. We advised her that we could only accommodate her in an allergen free room for an extended stay. She agreed to stay and switch to the allergen free room and leave her 2nd dog in the car. She switched to the new room, but in a short time she came to the office and checked out. When she checked out, she was very angry. It was only at that time that she claimed her 2nd dog was a "service dog"? She also stated that the reserving party had stayed in the allergen free room with 3 dogs sometime in the past.

Obviously this was an unfortunate situation, involving a fragile individual, who took the word of another person to be true over the word of the motel. We were not unfriendly, and we tried very hard to accommodate this guest. We offered to find her accommodations elsewhere, but she declined. Her preference was to continue staying with us, however she wanted to continue staying in the original accommodation, but had agreed to switch.

Other motels charge exorbitant cleaning fees of up to $200 for having pets in the room, even for one night stays, in order to thoroughly clean and sanitize the room after check out...removing all allergens for the next guest. We instead have designated 3 of our 16 rooms as allergen free, no pets.

Travellers are raving about these Ithaca hotels

Kent, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

Well, our room in the "Treaman Lodge" was a typical 1950s-1960s, wood-paneled, linoleum-floored bedroom. While it was fairly clean (flies in the small bathroom that needed to be killed), it was obviously meant for a couple traveling with their pet dog(s). The air smelled of wet dog, and there was no way to get rid of that smell. The window AC was noisy (which may have been a good thing since there were animals in other rooms) and the queen bed was rather lumpy, but it was only $100 in a college town where most of the other rooms go for $175 and up. Lastly, it was definitely NOT a B 'n' B, which is where we found it on a website. No breakfast of any kind was available. There was coffee available in the "office," a small room of a house where dogs were barking their greeting to incoming guests. Supposedly there was wi-fi, but we could not get it in our room. The description of the place did mention that not all rooms could access it. Our cell phones did not work either. There was a "fitness center," but it was literally for the dogs. I was very glad we were there for only one night.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
flyingdog, Owner at Grayhaven Motel, responded to this review, 12 October 2010
All of our guest bedrooms have wall to wall carpeting, bathrooms have updated vinyl flooring, none have the old linoleum. We have a large fenced yard for dogs to play in. It has AGILITY equipment in it. It is not the "Fitness Center". We do have a small room that we decided to put in an elliptical machine in for the benefit of our guests, also we decided to provide a beverage and snack machine in the same room. We can take it away, if people don't appreciate the effort. We do not advertise ourselves as a B & B, Some of our guests think we are very similar to a B & B, and have referred to us as such. We used to serve an expanded Continental Breakfast in the House behind the office. However it seemed most of the public no longer wanted this kind of breakfast, and most guests were only coming in for coffee. So we decided to do away with the Big Breakfast, and still offer morning hot beverage service. We do advertise wifi service, but we also state on our web page it is only available in limited rooms. It is free, and available as an additional courtesy in our front office.
Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2009

When we entered our room it had a pungent, chemical smell which reminded me of wasp spray. The entryway rug was dark with a faded pattern which made me wonder how many stains it was hiding. Overall dark and musty feeling. I complained about the odor, specifically asking whether the room had been sprayed for bugs as I was worried about breathing the air for a full night. The young woman who was helping out at the desk was very friendly and helped me figure out how to open the windows (not straightforward) to help air out the rooms, but the more I thought I about it the more I got angry that I was placed in this room at all. I asked about changing rooms but she explained that all the rooms with double beds were now taken. Despite the open windows the smell did not improve and I mentioned the problem again in the morning to a different person at the desk. She explained that they'd been having trouble with that room for the last several weeks and had sprayed something which was supposed to cancel out all odors. That made me even angrier. All they had to do was enter the room to discover that the spray didn't work ,and ultimately it's their job to find the source of the smell rather than just try to mask it with other smells. I suspect my family and I had been bombarded with a host of attempted chemical fixes. The young woman the night before had explained that when dogs stay in the room the housekeeper spreads a powder on the carpet and perhaps I was smelling that. So I'm thinking, odor killer, flea killer - what was it? Yuck. Had the woman simply apologized I would have felt better. What would have been a better indication of service and commitment to quality would have been an apology and the offer of a a discount for giving us a room that they acknowledged had problems. If I return to the area I will definitely try out another place. The other takeaway message for me is to avoid dog-friendly motels on the assumption that they are more likely to be treated with flea powder and other chemical sprays.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank AliceFish
grayhaven, Owner at Grayhaven Motel, responded to this review, 2 September 2009
The powder we use on guest room carpeting is Arm and Hammer Pet Fresh. It does not contain flea powder. Occasionally, we use bug spray purchased at Home Depot, safe for humans and animals, completely non toxic. Grayhaven is a country motel, park at your door, no center hallways. Guests frequently leave room door open while sitting outside the room. After this guest we took one of our dogs into the room. Our dog went sniffing crazy near a heat register. When we took it apart, we found half a toasted onion bagel...just hard, not moldy. We are sure this contributed to the smells in the room. Otherwise we found nothing else to explain the strange smells this guest experienced. No new complaints about smells in this room have surfaced, so maybe it was the bagel.
Cleveland, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2009

My dog Amigo loved staying at the Grayhaven. Our room was quiet, with big windows to watch the birds and just outside was the dog play yard. The yard has a variety of agility equipment. Amigo had never been on agility equipment before, but he quickly showed us he was a natural, going over jumps, up ramps, through tunnels and through the hoop. He loved it so much that when he barked to go out, it wasn't to relieve himself, he was looking to go to the play yard. To top it off, he met a friend, Mica, who joined him in the play yard.

We stayed in the Treman lodge. Our room was spacious. Had a small fridge, enough to hold leftovers and drinks. No coffee maker in the room, but I believe they had coffee in the office. I found it easeir to go to McDonald's 1 mile away for coffee. Our room did have an iron, ironing board, and hair dryer.

Some things in the room were worn, but overall it was clean. The room smelled strongly when we first arrived. To me it smelled like carpet fresh. I'm very sensitive to cleaning products, so that smell bothered me. I checked the air conditioning filter, and found it to be quite dirty. We rinsed it off and aksed the maid to to use carpet fresh the following day. The smell faded and by the second afternoon it didn't bother me.

Ithaca is a wonderful city; we'll probably visit there again. The Grayhaven is conveienlty located, close to town and close to parks for hiking. The Grayhaven very reasonable rates for the area. We got a discount for staying 3 nights and the dog fee was only $5 per night.

I read that some people were bothered by the road noise. We had our AC on. traffic was heavy in the am, but I didn't notice the noise.

We'd stay here again, but I'd ask them to hold off on strong smelling cleaning products the morning of our arrival.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple