New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Disappointed and worried by strange smells” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grayhaven Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ithaca
Grayhaven Motel
Ranked #11 of 18 Ithaca B&B and Inns
Boston
“Disappointed and worried by strange smells”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2009

When we entered our room it had a pungent, chemical smell which reminded me of wasp spray. The entryway rug was dark with a faded pattern which made me wonder how many stains it was hiding. Overall dark and musty feeling. I complained about the odor, specifically asking whether the room had been sprayed for bugs as I was worried about breathing the air for a full night. The young woman who was helping out at the desk was very friendly and helped me figure out how to open the windows (not straightforward) to help air out the rooms, but the more I thought I about it the more I got angry that I was placed in this room at all. I asked about changing rooms but she explained that all the rooms with double beds were now taken. Despite the open windows the smell did not improve and I mentioned the problem again in the morning to a different person at the desk. She explained that they'd been having trouble with that room for the last several weeks and had sprayed something which was supposed to cancel out all odors. That made me even angrier. All they had to do was enter the room to discover that the spray didn't work ,and ultimately it's their job to find the source of the smell rather than just try to mask it with other smells. I suspect my family and I had been bombarded with a host of attempted chemical fixes. The young woman the night before had explained that when dogs stay in the room the housekeeper spreads a powder on the carpet and perhaps I was smelling that. So I'm thinking, odor killer, flea killer - what was it? Yuck. Had the woman simply apologized I would have felt better. What would have been a better indication of service and commitment to quality would have been an apology and the offer of a a discount for giving us a room that they acknowledged had problems. If I return to the area I will definitely try out another place. The other takeaway message for me is to avoid dog-friendly motels on the assumption that they are more likely to be treated with flea powder and other chemical sprays.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank AliceFish
grayhaven, Owner at Grayhaven Motel, responded to this review, 2 September 2009
The powder we use on guest room carpeting is Arm and Hammer Pet Fresh. It does not contain flea powder. Occasionally, we use bug spray purchased at Home Depot, safe for humans and animals, completely non toxic. Grayhaven is a country motel, park at your door, no center hallways. Guests frequently leave room door open while sitting outside the room. After this guest we took one of our dogs into the room. Our dog went sniffing crazy near a heat register. When we took it apart, we found half a toasted onion bagel...just hard, not moldy. We are sure this contributed to the smells in the room. Otherwise we found nothing else to explain the strange smells this guest experienced. No new complaints about smells in this room have surfaced, so maybe it was the bagel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Cleveland, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2009

My dog Amigo loved staying at the Grayhaven. Our room was quiet, with big windows to watch the birds and just outside was the dog play yard. The yard has a variety of agility equipment. Amigo had never been on agility equipment before, but he quickly showed us he was a natural, going over jumps, up ramps, through tunnels and through the hoop. He loved it so much that when he barked to go out, it wasn't to relieve himself, he was looking to go to the play yard. To top it off, he met a friend, Mica, who joined him in the play yard.

We stayed in the Treman lodge. Our room was spacious. Had a small fridge, enough to hold leftovers and drinks. No coffee maker in the room, but I believe they had coffee in the office. I found it easeir to go to McDonald's 1 mile away for coffee. Our room did have an iron, ironing board, and hair dryer.

Some things in the room were worn, but overall it was clean. The room smelled strongly when we first arrived. To me it smelled like carpet fresh. I'm very sensitive to cleaning products, so that smell bothered me. I checked the air conditioning filter, and found it to be quite dirty. We rinsed it off and aksed the maid to to use carpet fresh the following day. The smell faded and by the second afternoon it didn't bother me.

Ithaca is a wonderful city; we'll probably visit there again. The Grayhaven is conveienlty located, close to town and close to parks for hiking. The Grayhaven very reasonable rates for the area. We got a discount for staying 3 nights and the dog fee was only $5 per night.

I read that some people were bothered by the road noise. We had our AC on. traffic was heavy in the am, but I didn't notice the noise.

We'd stay here again, but I'd ask them to hold off on strong smelling cleaning products the morning of our arrival.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bsgro
Lockport, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2008

I couldn't have asked for a better experience. As I was traveling with three dogs, I thought finding a place to stay might be a problem. Not so! The Grayhaven is dog-friendly and even has a great exercise area/agility course, is close to everything-food, shopping, and it is about two minutes away from the beautiful Buttermilk Falls State Park.

It is clean, comfortable, and very reasonably priced. The chain hotel down the street wanted over twice as much as the Grayhaven. It was such a delight to find a place that was clean and friendly and still have some money left for the rest of my trip!

I will absolutely stay at the Grayhaven again!

• Liked — Very rustic rooms, clean, pet friendly....very reasonable!
  • Disliked — Nothing really leaps out at me...
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
eastern MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2008

I recently had to spend a mid-week night in Ithaca. A search for a place to stay turned up a typical collection of low- and mid-level chain hotels, all of which were incredibly over-priced. There were a few nice-looking B+B's which were even more absurdly priced.

So when I found the Grayhaven it seemed too good to be true - less than half the price of any other place I looked at. I figured that for one night I could put up with almost anything, for the amount of money I was saving. I booked a room on-line, which worked fine, except that you don't receive instant confirmation of the reservation, you have to wait for an email from the owner - this can be problematic if you don't have ready email access. A phone call might be better for those booking at the last minute, although they add a $5 surcharge for phone reservations, which seems unreasonable to me. Charging people to answer the phone? Come on.

The place is easy to find, right on rte 13 a couple miles out of town. Check-in was quick, I found the owner to be pleasant enough, although I didn't have a long conversation. It is very close to rte 13 though, so there is some traffic noise. It wasn't that bad until about 7:00 AM, when the amount of traffic really picked up.

Being mid-week, there was no free breakfast other than some cellophane-wrapped nasty-looking vending-machine-type pastries. No thanks. The free apples were nice though.

The room itself was reasonable. The beds were pretty comfortable (although a tad short) with plenty of pillows, there were plenty of decent towels, the small desk was adequate to use the laptop with the strong wifi connection, the heating/cooling unit did the job. I detected no noticeable odors in the room.

The decor is definitely dated - the pink bathtub with the ugly tile and faded vinyl flooring was right out of the 1960's, it had these weird ceiling tiles, the lamps looked ancient, the carpeting looked old (and could have used a cleaning).

Considering the price is 40% or less than most of the other places in town, though, I can overlook the tired decor and a little road noise; the room was clean enough (admittedly I don't require white-glove-level cleanliness) and comfortable enough for me. I'd stay here again.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Some road noise
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
Toms River, NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2008

I must agree with a previous critique, rooms are dilapidated and musty. Had a problem with wi-fi reception called the desk for assistance, owner/manager answered and was quite irritated to be bothered with such nonsense I guess. The owners go south every winter closing the motel which I believe accounts for it's overall staleness and rooms looking outdated. The breakfast area was awkwardly in the owners office, literally a few feet away from her desk. Not recommended for it's unfriendliness. I can forgive almost anything, smelly rooms, noise from the street, but the ill-mannered conduct that I experience from the owners is inexcusable. Never again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Rudeness
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zunester

Travellers are raving about these Ithaca hotels

Devon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2008

Having never been to Ithaca before and not knowing where to stay, we booked this motel the day before we arrived having contacted a few and found this to be the cheapest. Choosing this place was the best move we've made so far on our trip!
Firstly, the room was not only immaculate, but it has a nice feel to it, more like a B&B than a motel. The room had a TV, small fridge, comfortable beds and a clean bathroom.
We got a delicious breakfast free and all throughout the stay there were free apples available at the desk - a nice touch.
We are not traveling with a car so it was a $9 cab ride from downtown Ithaca.
The hostess is extremely friendly and incredibly helpful.
Very close to some great scenery.
Great place to spend a couple of nights!

Stayed May 2008
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2008

I selected this property after reading reviews on this website. I don't know how it is rated the 7th favorite! Perhaps it was based on older reviews. It was a musty dilapidated room, requiring a lot of updating. There were cobwebs in some places of the room which was disconcerting, especially those in the overhead lighting directly over the bed meant for inbed reading! The towels were tiny and cheap. The toiletries were packets of things! On the positive side, the bed was very comfortable, great pillows (albeit small), and the room was very spacious. It also seemed to be a comfortable temperature. We initially were also putoff by the sound of the passing traffic, however, after returning to the room for the evening after a great dinner at Just A Taste, it wasn't as intrusive. The next morning, however, we did hear others showering, closing doors, and barking of the in-room dogs of neighboring rooms. Glad it was only a one night stay!

• Disliked — mustyness
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple