All reviews adventure water team spot camp instructor kite
Reviewed July 7, 2015

We went to this new camp for kitesurfing activities. It has 21 nice bungalows in small lagoon directly on the other side of Dakhla city / bay circa 80 kilometers ride from airport, 40 km from other camps and 20 km from Duna Blanca.
Electricity from the sun, low water consumption and no fecal water in the sea because of dry toilets :)
Bungalows are bigger than expected, enough water for shower, but be rational (ECO).
Very good Moroccan food (Tajine), big new restaurant with beautiful view all over the place.
Friendly staff with chance to improve service (ordering missing drinks, food...).
Poor internet but you are in the desert so this is acceptable.
Very good value for money performance so we would visit this place again for sure!

Room Tip: Check room interior before choosing the room, go for beach front bungalow :)
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2015

Super place to kite, beginner of not. Away from the other Camps in the lagoon, so a little more waves, less kiters and very chill! Ecolodges are comfortable, food is good, zen ambiance! Great place, great people, perfect deconnect!!!

Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank Pm760525
Reviewed June 7, 2015

Heliophora is a great spot to kite and to escape from the crowded spots elsewhere on the lagoon. We were there at the end of April ( eastern holiday for the French) and sometimes we were with only 3 kiters on the water.

The only negative thing was perhaps security on the water. If you are used to having a boat all the time on the water, that is not the case, but there were never issues... Kiters help each other! And the spot is so good that you will always end up at the beach :-).
If I understood correctly, Rachid was looking for an extra team-member to help on the beach.. So I am quite sure that that issue will be solved quite quickly.

The rooms are perfect, spacious, clean and clever storage. The food is great. This is the first hotel I visited that serves oatmeal at breakfast, I love it! Of course you can chose much more: pancakes, bread, cake, eggs,fresh orange juice etc...

The staff is very helpful and friendly and Rachid and Sana make you feel at home and welcome immediately.

We are going back and hopefully very soon!

Stayed: April 2015
Reviewed May 2, 2015

The other views below are accurate. This is a small and simple quiet nature retreat in beautiful saharan/sea surrounds. Its internet site is representative. Rachid and Sana will look after you superbly, as far as possible given the out-back location. Food is excellent, especially compared to some of the other options. If you know how to switch off your phone and forget emails for a while, this is a great break.

If you kite or windsurf, the wind is slightly more reliable than in the main lagoon. And the water empty. A great natural alternative to the now rather industrious camps around the top end of the lagoon.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jake-late30s
Reviewed April 11, 2015

I traveled all the way from Hong Kong for the wind. I was not disappointed and Heliophora offered much, much more than what I expected :)

Wind/Spot - The spot is uncrowded and there is lots of space, no traffic (we drove past the other camp sites and easily spotted 100+ kites on a not too busy day - nothing like that in Heliophora at all). The storage area is just next to the beach, no need to walk long distances. The wind is side/side-on and water is flat/small chops. It picks up usually at 11 a.m., and if not, then at 3 p.m. every single day. Perfect for beginners like me. It is very consistent and I progressed a lot. I went from water-starts to being able to go upwind and do some transitions (and riding independently) after just 2 hours of improvement lessons and practising on my own (I got to ride at least 2-3 (sometimes 5!) hours a day with my 12m/8m). Rachid and Baptiste are great teachers, gave clear instructions and were very patient with me ;) Fellow kiters were also able to practise their freestyle tricks and a couple were riding surfboards. It was really amazing being able to ride till sunsets everyday. Some kiters also spotted dolphins not too far off from the shore and rode along with them!

Accommodation and food - It gets a bit chilly in the evenings end of March/early April and the bungalows are cozy and warm at night. Mattresses are very comfortable. Water pressure is strong and hot showers are great after coming out of the waters at sunset. With that amount of kiting you need lots of energy, and you can be sure that you are properly fueled everyday with very tasty food! You can load up on breakfast to get ready for the morning session, and lunch and dinners are three-course meals. The menu is never the same during my entire stay! The chef was really good, the food was freshly prepared and served when you are ready - everyone i know just love the food. I never felt the need to snack because they feed you well :) As an ecolodge they also did a great job with the solar power, dry toilets and recycling food waste. Impressive when you think about it because this is really nowhere in the middle of a desert.

Vibes - Awesome! Fellow kiters are mostly french-speaking (and I dont speak French) but they were very accommodating, I had no trouble communicating and making friends at all. You can hang out on the terrace anytime of the day, blast your own music, review clips from your gopro, discuss all sorts of tricks or how you want to quit you job and stay forever ;) Sana also offers yoga classes in the morning on the terrace overlooking the bay, which was very refreshing (especially in the morning before any kite action it was very tranquil) and a good stretching session before going into the waters.

Overall I enjoyed my stay very much and was very happy. I miss the eat, kite, sleep, repeat routine terribly :) Many thanks to Rachid, Sana, Baptiste and Tanja for taking good care of me.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo