“Beautiful Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Johnstown
Springfield, Massachusetts
“Beautiful Hotel”
Reviewed 28 October 2011

The Holiday Inn in Johnstown, NY has recently undergone a multi million dollar renovation over the last year. I stayed at the hotel in 2009 and 2010 white the transformation was going on. I reently stayed there and it was beautiful. Still had that "New Smell" to it. Everything was completed with upgrades through out the property.

The food was great, the bartender Al was very entertaining with his stories to Jamaica and good humor.

Beds were comfortable and rooms are large, grounds are impeccable and in the summer there is outside dining overlooking a large pool which backs up to private woods.

I did notice that the hotel is very active within the community as they were hosting a fundraiser for the Boys & Girls Clubs in Gloverville. Nice touch!!

The owners did a very nice job and reservations are a must as many days the hotel seems to be sold out. Be it business or pleasure this is a Don't Miss" if you are in the area.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 6 September 2011

I was supposed to stay here for two nites for a class reunion. My flight got cancelled due to a tropical storm shutting down the airport and preventing me from arriving. I called the hotel to let them know that I would not be able to get there and requested a refund of the 2nd nite. The hotel refused to give any adjustment to the bill and it turns out the the special "discounted" rate was actually higher than the normal rate. This place is a total rip off.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank hkyhry
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Was here with a large group for a work function. The hotel is VERY clean and had everything that was promised on the website. Hotel manager was even able to get us a very nice group rate because we had so many rooms. Like others had warned the service wasn't the greatest, but the hotel was super super clean and had very nice amenities.

One of the only hotels I've been to that has computers/copiers etc that doesn't charge for copies :) Be warned though the laundry service is VERY expensive and I was originally over charged by almost $30, luckily I caught the mistake, but no one even apologized when I explained that there had been a mix up in the adding on my bill. I should have gotten it for free at this point.

I would recommend the hotel to everyone, but don't expect dazzling customer service. No one seems overly thrilled that you're there. I will give props to the hotel for being able to accommodate such a large group and were able to extend our stay a couple of extra days. Again- VERY clean! Bedding was super comfortable and they even have pillows labeled as to which type they are (soft, hard etc..) Nothing's worse than having a pillow that isn't comfortable :)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Geneva, New York
Reviewed 9 July 2011

A great place to stay, especially if you're traveling with pets. The real plus for us and our two small dogs was the large grassy area at the back of the hotel for walking dogs. And with a "gift bag" supply provided at each back entrance, pet owners are encouraged to keep that area clean. The outdoor pool has a wide deck with plenty of chairs and loungers, and the nearby trees provide some shade. Our room was comfortably large, quiet, and included a small refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, steam iron, ironing board. This Inn also offers another unexpected amenity -- an on-premises guest laundry -- that you're not likely to find at other lodging in the area. The beds were very comfortable, and had plenty of extra pillows, each wrapped with a ribbon indicating whether it was firm, medium, or soft. The bathroom was well lighted, and had plenty of space on the vanity top for personal items. Lots of hand cloths and bath towels. The shower had a strong variable spray, unlike the anemic water savers so often found in motels. The WiFi internet proved a strong and fast connection. The restaurant was good and had a varied menu from light fare through prime rib dinners -- and reasonably priced.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Sylvania, Ohio
Reviewed 8 July 2011

Let me begin by enumerating the good points about this hotel. First, the entire hotel has been completely renovated and the rooms and bathrooms are very pleasing to the eye as well as clean. Each room has a small refrigerator and microwave, very handy. There is a large pool on the grounds, good for family fun. Additionally, this is a full service hotel so it is not necessary to leave the hotel for food or bar service.
The negative points about this hotel pertain to management and check in. When I reserved my room I asked for a first floor pool view with two queen beds. At that time no one explained to me that this area of the hotel was reserved for pets. I found this out upon check in. I have asthma triggered by cat dander so I asked for another room. There were no rooms available except a king with a pull out sofa. When I asked if they could exchange my queen room for another queen room I was told that I had reserved a first floor room with a pool view and that was all that was available. Keep it or take a king was my choice. When I pressed the issue, I was told that it was a weekend and everyone had already checked in early. There was no room available to exchange with. Consequently, my 6'2" son slept on a twin pull out sofa, not an ideal situation. If it were truly the case that everyone had checked in early, I would not be upset. But, because we were part of a large family gathering, I spent a great deal of time in the lobby area socializing and saw numerous people check in. This hotel gets a 0 for service.

Room Tip: Avoid first floor with a pool view unless traveling with a pet.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Jan185
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 5 July 2011

While we generally prefer the Holiday Inn Express line of hotels, because the Holiday Inn versions are more expensive and provide less value for the money, this particular location reversed this convention. Everything here was A-OK from our family's perspective, and provided us a great respite after many days in the mountains. While we didn't get to try the pool, the amenities in the room were more than adequate. Additionally, the restaurant was not bad, especially after all of the Priority Club discounts were applied.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
fl
Reviewed 1 July 2011

The rooms are new, well-appointed with quality materials, comfortable beds with nice linens and a variety of pillow choices. The restaurant's food was excellent! Best French fries, fresh fish, fresh veggies. Cool copper hood above fireplace in diningroom. All the staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johnstown
1.3 km away
15.1 km away
Knights Inn Amsterdam
Knights Inn Amsterdam
#2 of 2 in Amsterdam

Been to Holiday Inn Johnstown - Gloversville? Share your experiences!