“muffinpalooza”
Review of Keene Valley Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Keene Valley
Keene Valley Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Keene Valley
Bronx, New York
“muffinpalooza”
Reviewed 21 August 2011

If the only draw were the muffins, I would still make the 5 hour drive from NYC! Let's start with the buffet breakfast. Innkeepers George and Laurie alternate when it comes to making and hosting breakfasts. The whole wheat muffins are always full of huge chunks of fruit, and are served freshly made every morning. This is aside from the coffee, freshly ground every morning, bread from the Dogwood Bakery, some type of eggs, fruit, cereals, etc. The dining room is comfortable and the kind you can linger in.

My wife and I have been coming here since George and Laurie's opening year. We know the inn as a couple, pre-kids, and now as a family. It is the perfect home-base for cross-country skiing and hiking in the high peaks. It is a no-frills, but exceptionally comfortable and warm inn. It is the perfect destination after a backpack or a camping trip. We savor the clean rooms and bathrooms, the warm main room with a fireplace, games, piano, and guide books. No one looks at you funny if you need to dry out camping equipment in the yard behind the lodge. Most important, we appreciate the friendliness of the inn keepers. We have always viewed KVL as a home away from home. We always feel welcome, and it is consistently with heavy heart that we leave this inn for the city.

But to get back to what is really important: the best muffins north of NYC! And you can eat as many as you want!

Room Tip: Room #2 is our favorite. The Notman suite is perfect for smaller families.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Oak Park, Illinois
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Lovely, inviting, comfortable. I've been coming to the Adirondack area since childhood. Stayed in lots of places. The town (Keene Valley) I think is perfect. Great little library, good eating spots including Noonmark Diner (I love to have a diner just a walk away), art gallaries and shops. There is the confluence of two streams. And of course the Mountaineer store with all the equipment needed. Just perfect.
And the Keene Valley Lodge fits right into this perfectness. Not stuffy at all - very much like home (if you had a home in the Adirondacks with a big fireplace and beautiful woodwork and a grand piano). George and Linda are great hosts - very low profile but help when you need it. Breakfast is vegetarian - fruit and oatmeal, eggs and homemade bread. Very good coffee (I appreciate that on vacation). All help-yourself (we bused ourselves as well - it feels right there).
We've had extended family stay at the Lodge as well. Big porches and common room to gather in. Also a fire spot just by the river. We watched a near-full moon come up over the river this past August while sitting around the fire. Great stuff.
All-in-all a perfect spot. In fact, as I finsh writing this I'm thinking we should keep it secret. But only fair for more people to enjoy!
One thing to know if it bothers you: the Lodge is close to a busy road. Trucks go by. Motorcycles. We are very used to it and doesn't bother us.

Room Tip: well described in website - we were able to get various family into the right rooms
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
East Coast US
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I have stayed at this B&B several times in the past few years and I am always amazed that it is as good as I remember it every time I return. George and Laurie Daniels are the owners and chief cooks for breakfasts. They always make me feel welcome and are at the ready with tips and secret spots for great hikes to suit any weather.

I applaud the housekeepers as well! the place is immaculate and welcoming, often there are fresh flowers on the tables and the rooms are always neat and clean, (and I'm really picky about clean rooms!).

I will keep coming here and bringing friends with me to enjoy the area hikes and the great breakfasts!

Room Tip: My favorites are #2, 3 and 4- they have private baths.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
agent511
Reviewed 7 August 2011

My opinion is the complete opposite of what I am reading here. To me, there are three important segments to a review of a B&B - room, food, and host. I was quite happy with my room (room #1). It had a separate sitting room in addition to the bedroom and bathroom, so it was very spacious. Nothing fancy about the furniture, but fitting. The shower was a little confusing. Wifi worked fine. The people in the room above us must not have had the shower curtain within the tub, because water was dripping into our room when they were bathing. No TV in the room, and no TV in the house's common area either. Unfortunately, that is all that I can think of nice to say about this stay.

Everyone talks about the delicious breakfast, but no one itemizes what you get. Yes, nice muffins and bread, and yogurt and cold cereal and fruit and oatmeal. But the key to the breakfast is what was served as the hot course. They had (commercial style) scrambled eggs in a crock pot, with cheese on top. Period. A complete lack of any ambition to serve any special recipe. No imagination. And when it ran out, later arriving breakfast guests were left with nothing. (after I left it is possible that more was brought, but I saw someone while I was there end up with none, and the help - see below - did not have more ready when they ran out.)

Which brings me to the hosts. This is the most incredible thing, and the main cause of the bad review (2 dots is overly generous). There weren't any. The days we were there, the place was on auto-pilot. When you arrive, there is no host at all. just a paper with room assignments. On the bottom of the paper is two names and phone numbers if you feel you deserve to at least speak to a host. OK. Really weird, but I assumed that would be made up the next morning with breakfast. Not. When we arrived on time for breakfast, the food was all set up buffet style, with oatmeal in one crockpot, and commercial scrambled eggs in the other. No host. After about 20 minutes, a 30-something year old lady came out and looked at the egg pot and saw that it was empty or near empty. I figured she must work there and would be bringing more out, but that did not happen in the 30-40 minutes that we were there. She was oblivious to the fact that the OJ was out, I pointed that out to her, and she did get more OJ. She never volunteered a single word in conversation. Not to me, not to anyone. I don't know if she was the daughter of the owner, the owner, or just a hired hand. After breakfast, I went into the kitchen and asked if she had anything to do with management, and she may have nodded yes, so i asked her if we needed to settle up or do anything else before leaving. On the table in the kitchen was a large pile of receipts. I helped her find ours, and she said "No, everything is paid up" She did not even offer me the written receipt (I don't know what she was saving them for). I didn't fuss since I had no need of it. And that was the last word I spoke to anyone associated with the place. I have to hope she was filling in, because it just isn't possible for all the other reviewers to be so different than mine. I am easy going about these things. So either I stayed at a different place, or I was in bizarro world, or the owners were away and left the place on autopilot, as if I wouldn't or shouldn't care. I am told that the owners live onsite much of the year, but during the summer season, they live with family in a nearby town, so they can rent out more rooms. I would not consider staying here again. There is more charm in any hotel, and even a Best Western and Hampton Inn lets you make home-made waffles.

Room Tip: Room 1 is very large.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank agent511
kvlodge, Owner at Keene Valley Lodge, responded to this review, 12 August 2011
Yes, indeed, this reviewer was here on a very unfortunate morning! I have sent him or her my sincere apologies already, but would like to explain here as well. My husband and I are almost always present at breakfast, doing all the cooking and interacting with our guests as much as possible. When we take a rare morning off to have a "family day", we leave the place under the direction of a woman who has worked for us for 10 years. She has never let us down, and has always done a great job. Unfortunately, she was called away for about an hour that morning on a family emergency, and as breakfast was winding down, she thought it would be ok to leave things with our other housekeeper for a short time. She was away longer than she had intended, however, and the housekeeper has never had any experience with breakfast or checking people out. Thus, the total lack of service that morning. We have talked with her about it, and she feels very badly, and realizes she should have called us so we could have come in and helped out. Normally, people rave about our breakfast buffet - it is usually quite generous and filling, the perfect pre-hike meal. Obviously that morning it fell short.
As far as the other concerns - yes, there is no TV, and there is no cell phone service in our secluded valley yet, although it is supposedly going to be here by the end of the summer. The wi-fi works great, however. I am looking into the dripping shower issue - I think he is right, the people didn't tuck in the curtain. And yes, we do not have someone here at a desk checking people in. We have a self-check-in system, where you see your name on the check-in board telling you which room is yours, and the key is in the door to your room. Our phone numbers are listed next to the phone, so we can be reached with questions or concerns at any time. Normally, we connect with out guests at breakfast, as we are there all morning to chat and give advice on hiking, skiing, etc.This has seemed to work well for the many years that we have been in operation. We do truly care about our guests, and the fact that over 50% of our business is made up of repeat customers over the course of 12 years in business I think supports this. We are truly sorry that this guest had a bad experience, and hope he will contact us directly so we can resolve the problem.
Laurie and George Daniels, Innkeepers/Owners since 1999
Holtsville, New York
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Don't be fooled by the pictures. Yes your room will look that way when you arrive, but if you want it to keep looking that nice be prepared to make your own bed, clean your own bathroom and fetch your own supplies. Apparently you have to stay 5 nights to get maid service, but that is only apparent after you get there and your deposit is no longer refundable! We stayed 4 nights.

Security was sketchy... no staff except breakfast time, main doors unlocked, and lets just say it wouldn't pass AAA minimum standards for room door locks; really lost some sleep over this. Oh, no cell phone service and no phones in the rooms (just lobby) didn't help either. If you go, don't leave valuables in the room and bring a way to secure the door while you sleep.

The breakfast buffet was good (not great)... varied slightly from day to day depending on who showed up that morning.

Overall, this lodge is on it's way to becoming an overpriced hiking hostel. At $75/night (with proper locks and letting you know about the maid service when you book), it would've been very acceptable. However, at the $150/night that we paid, you expect the owners to care a little bit more - about guests and the building.

It's sad because this place has potential to be a great b&b... it has location (for peace and quiet, hiking, not too far from Lake Placid, etc.), most of the rooms have private baths, and there's plenty of common areas. It just needs to be staffed, maintained and the service guests expect provided.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
kvlodge, Owner at Keene Valley Lodge, responded to this review, 16 August 2011
Our housekeeping policy actually states that we do make up the rooms for stays of 4 days or more. We are incredibly sorry that this guest didn't alert us to the fact that their room was not spruced up after their second day's stay. We certainly would have taken care of their room immediately and are also very happy to make up rooms on a daily basis on request.

Most of our guests actually feel very comfortable telling us in person about these kinds of concerns which actually gives us the opportunity to remedy the problem while they can still enjoy their stay at the Lodge!

We do have good locks on all our room doors and in our 12 years of running the Keene Valley Lodge no one has mentioned to us any concern that they are of insufficient quality (when we bought the lodge the previous owners didn't even have locks on the room doors-maybe an indication of how safe we all feel in our small mountain town!)

But certainly if these guests voiced their profound feelings of insecurity to us we would have happily refunded their deposit.

Because we are in a mountain valley, cell service has yet to arrive (Verizon has just erected a cell tower in Keene Valley and we are told that service should start within the year). We do give our guests unlimited long distance service anywhere in the United States on our guest phone at no charge and also provide free wifi.
Cold Spring, New York
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Just returned from lovely weekend at the Keene Valley Lodge. Please read other fine reviews as they state the charm of the place & helpfulness of staff more eloquently than I can. I agree heartily with all the positives. The only draw back I note is that wifi didn't work in our room. Had to go downstairs to get a strong enough signal - a small price to pay. The location is absolutely perfect with anything and everything one might want or need nearby - often just a few steps away: The Great Range for a fine dinner, the Mountaineer for gear & advice, the Noon Mark diner for ice cream or pie! Of course it's the trails you'll want & they are literally around the corner or just down the road

• Stayed July 2011
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed 7 June 2011

If I could give them 6 stars I would, great experience, such a great place, nights rest after ong hike. Thanks for making me feel at home, except w/steller service

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
13.0 km away
ADK Trail Inn
ADK Trail Inn
#1 of 1 in Upper Jay

Been to Keene Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!