“Get Away Weekend at Lake George”

Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #11 of 88 Hotels in Lake George
CT
“Get Away Weekend at Lake George”
Reviewed 19 May 2012

We spent long weekend and enjoyed the area. Grand hotel was clean and hotel staff were very accommendating and friendly. Especially the manager Sam. We were not able to use the restraunt or bar except for a couple of mornings for breakfast due to conventions and private parties. when you make reservations be sure to ask about what conventions are going on during your stay. Nice views. Upper floors on lakeside were the best. Mountain side were marginal especially lower floors as you were looking at parking lot. Overall great place to stay in Lake George.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dennis L
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 20 May 2012
Dear DennisL ,

Thank you for commenting on our hotel. We appreciate your compliments. Our goal is to create a great experience for all of our guests.

You have given other travelers some great suggestions. .

Again, thank you for this useful feedback! It was a pleasure having you as our guest. We hope to see you again next time you are in the Lake George region. If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 1800-234-0267.

Sam Luciano

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
Highland Falls, New York
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I stayed in one of Fort William Henry's Standard West rooms. I was trying to search for a discount on their website but was unable to. I thought it was strange that a "fort" wouldnt have a military discount. I also didnt see an option for AAA. Not a big deal, but there are other hotels in the area with rooms comparable to the Standard West rooms at a cheaper/discounted rate.
I had never stayed in this hotel before so I thought I'd give it a whirl. It's in a great location, within walking distance of most Lake George attractions, including downtown, the lake itself and the Adirondack Pub and Brewery. This was important to me because I was visiting a friend and planned to do some drinking. I wanted to be sure I could safely walk home from my friend's establishment located on the lake.
The hotel supposidly had indoor pool and hot tub as well as other amenities. I had not explored the hotel enough to take advantage of them but they would have been great if I was traveling with children. I did walk around the outdoors. There is a nice seating area for outdoor dining (breakfast?). It was too chilly for that, but I imagine when the weather warms that would be and ideal place to eat and enjoy views of the lake and mountains. The best hotel amenity was the free Adirondack air. I could just stand outside and spend the whole time inhaling that slightly pine scented fresh air.. truely amazing!
The staff upon check in and check out were very helpful and friendly. Also while walking on the property, the staff is quick to say "hi" and offer assistance. This is comforting.
The room itself was very standard. Two double beds, not a great view from the window-but had i paid a little more the views would have been breath taking. The bathroom had lots of little toiletries, more than the usual. They included a sewing kit, mouthwash, bodywash etc., which was a nice touch. The room was clean and odorless, which is very important. Poor ventilation in the rest room, mirrors etc fogged up and the air stayed damp.
The air temperature control was confusing. The AC unit sign says "this unit does not produce heat, please use the thermostat located on teh wall by the bathroom" (or something close to that).
The room was cold and I was trying to turn heat on. The thermostat was already set for 90 degrees but no heat was coming out of anywhere. I messed around with the AC unit (with the sign on it) and got it to blow heat out. It wasn't a big deal but confusing.
There was a cute little desk in the hotel room, perfect for setting up my laptop on, except for one thing. There are no electrical outlets near the desk! I had to put the laptop elsewhere, again not a big deal but would have been nice to leave it on a desk. It was very simple to connect to the WiFi and I got a great signal.
One more annoying thing was the housekeeping knocking on the door in the morning. There is no sign to hang on the door to say "do not disturb". Both mornings the housekeeping knocked before 10am. I know 10am doesnt seem early but when you are up late and trying to sleep in, 10am is too early to be bothered. I especially feel the housekeeping shouldnt knock on the door before checkout time (11am) on the day of departure. Housekeeping knocked on our door 3 times on day of departure (before 11am).
Overall my stay was very standard. I am sure if I had spent more money my stay would have been exceptional. Its a great location, friendly staff and clean rooms. I feel you get what you pay for here.

Room Tip: Be sure to read your room description. If you want a great room, you will be paying a price for it...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank LetMeTripPLEASE
New York
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I stayed here with my family over the passover holiday as part of a passover program. The hotel staff were extremely accomodating. We had a large group of around 300 participants in the program and around 100 of them were children. I was amazed at how calm, agreeable, and friendly the staff were. I have been to other hotels where the children are not tolerated well. As for the rooms, my family had four rooms-one of each kind offered. We enjoyed the fire place but did not turn on the jacuzzi that was in the room. All in all, we had an amazing trip and hope to return again in the summer for a family vacation.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank hotelguest4321
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 5 May 2012
Dear hotelguest4321,

Thank you for those kind words. Your group was a pleasure to host.

St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, PQ
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We spent a two nite week end in April at the Fort Henry Hotel (my daughter, my niece and myself)
The personnel was warm and courteous
The inside pool water was pleaseantly warm
We also enjoyed the spa
The room was cosy, the environment very quiet and the two double beds had very confortable mattresses
The view over lake George is spectacular and we can have a nice walk around the grounds, to eventually reach the lake itself
overall, a very pleasant stay
since we preferred to eat outside the premisses, I cannot comment on the dining room service and food
of course, you have to remember that this is an old Hotel so do not expect a modern environment

Room Tip: if possible, choose a room with view on the lake
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Great hotel, nice location in a great area could walk to all kinds of great restaurants and shopping.
Had a mini suite with a fireplace that made for a great romantic getaway. really courteous and attentive staff at the desk as well

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

San Diego
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We stayed here for a conference. The hotel is very nice- comfortable lobby area, room was large and roomy. Bed was comfortable- even the pull-out couch was cozy.Bathroom was also spacious. Little kitchenette was helpful. Indoor pool and spa was clean and relaxing. There is a deck in the back overlooking the lake- stunning views. Staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. It was off-season, so many things were closed but we still had a great time in the area. I didn't see another hotel that was even close to the Fort William Henry. If we are ever in the area again, we will absolutely stay here.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the lake in the main building- wow!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank trvlmaven
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
Dear Trvlmaven:

Thank you for your kind review and for recognizing our commitment to excellence.

Willsboro, New York
Reviewed 7 March 2012

My husband wanted to give me an overnight to get some much needed rest. Since it was off season we had our choice of places to stay. After driving around Lake George we noticed the sign outside of Fort William Henry Hotel that said there was a Happy Hour at the Tavern, therefore, we decided to stay there! We checked in, discussed the Happy Hour in front of the gentleman checking us in (there was also sign in the Lobby to advertise it) and went to our room for a nap. When we arrived in the lounge for the Happy Hour -it was closed for a private party!! And to make it worse-another sign outside of the restaurant stated dinner was served at 5PM. We went out for coctails and returned to find the restaurant was not open either! Left a note for the Manager and did not hear a thing! Very disappointed!

Room Tip: Be sure your heater works!!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Donna B
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Dear Donna B,
Thank you for commenting on our hotel. We appreciate your honest critique. I will take full responsibility for the miscommunications.
You are correct, our bar and restaurant was closed for a private party and our normal internal marketing signs were not taken down. Although unusual, we find it necessary to close our food service venue, during the off season, to accommodate large banquets. When this happens we always make provisions at another local restaurant of similar quality.
Please contact me at your earliest convenience. We will make this up to you. It is our error and we will correct it.
Again, thank you for this useful feedback! It was a pleasure having you as our guest. We look forward to hearing from you.

Travellers are raving about these Lake George hotels