“Questioable practices”

Ranked #20 of 87 Hotels in Lake George
Montpelier, Vermont
“Questioable practices”
Reviewed 16 May 2012

We stayed one night at this rather average resort motel. The main attraction there was the fact that it was on the water. When I recieved my credit card bill I found that in addition to the fee for the room, we had been charged an extra $133. I called to inquire what that was for and was told that it was because we had smoked in the room and that required "special cleaning" Neither my husband not I smoke and, in fact, we spent very little time in the room. After many phone calls I finally reached the manager (who I think had been evading me all day)She said she would remove the charge. I asked her why they didn't contact people to tell them of the charge and she told me "Because they would just lie"
Beware if you stay there. Check you credit card bill. I think it is a rather dishonest practice.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Sylvia K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Hebrew first
Yardley
Reviewed 16 May 2012

We had all sorts of family and friends stay at The Georgian from May 11-13th (wedding on Echo Lake) and not a bad word said about the place. Everyone had an extremely good time.

Our room was a Penthouse Suite on the 3rd floor overlooking the pool and banquet hall. It was very clean, comfortable and quiet. Friday was a beautiful day so we did some touristing in town (it is such a short walk into town! great location!) We then sat on the deck out back, over the lake for cocktail hour and caught up with family, and then dinner with a group at Mario's, across the street from The Georgian.

As we were leaving for dinner, we noticed the hotel had a college sorority event starting up in the banquet hall so thought it might be a noisy evening. When we returned, the college kids were in full swing and having a blast so we all sat on our balconies and people watched. By 10pm the hotel had an off-duty police officer tending to the grounds (he told us he was hired from 10-4am) to make sure that the noise and nonsense did not disrupt the other hotel guests. Well, I guess it worked like a charm cause we were right over top of them and we slept soundly.

Breakfast the next morning was delicious with friendly, attentive staff. Check out was also with a smile and great service.

The hotel then organized over forty people located all over the hotel to take shuttles to the wedding on Echo Lake. Everyone arrived with a smile.

We stayed on Echo Lake Saturday night but not a bad word was said from family or friends that we spoke to on Sunday so things continued along smoothly from what I can tell.

We would stay here again for sure!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank playallday
Rhinebeck
Reviewed 5 May 2012

We travel every weekend and this is by far the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. Upon check in we requested a late check out because we were running a half marathon then next morning. We were informed that it could be granted at the rate of $30 per hour starting at Noon and just to call the frontdesk in the morning and let them know. We agreed that was fair and would pay the additional cost. We were also told that our room had been upgraded and was in a quiet location as their was a motorcycle club staying there. However, they did not inform us of the sorority party that would be taking place in our courtyard from 10 PM - 1 AM. We called the front desk about it the noise and was told about the party but that their was nothing that could be done. The party goers then congrigated on our terrace taking pictures, the flash was like lightening in our room, again we called the frontdesk and they said security would move them along, this lasted about 10 minutes and they were back. After we got back from our race and called the frontdesk to inform them we would be staying late, they told us unfortunately, they could not grant the late request because they had inspectors coming and we needed to get out of the room now. I told them, we had to take a shower and we would be out. They told me we had 10 minutes. They then began to ring the room every 5 minutes harrassing us to get out. When I went in to checkout, I was told they were charging us the $30, I told them to go ahead, but I planned on fighting the charge. I also expressed my dissatisfaction with the hotel and the manage offered us a free nights stay which I declined as I would never stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Cathy G

Travellers are raving about these Lake George hotels

Garden City, New York
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Typical Lake George "resort" and I use that term loosely. Rooms, pool area, etc., are bare bones and in desperate need of an update. Our room was somewhat smelly and carpet had a hole in it. For rowdy teens and very easy to please adults only.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank johnmack63
Keene, New Hampshire
Reviewed 24 January 2012

The location was good and the staff friendly, but that's about all. We had a large room, right out of 1983. The carper seems worn and dirty and the wallpaper was coming off in many spots. The pool was nice but the "beach" was small and dirty. It was hard to get around with luggage. The breakfast buffet was ok. Expensive for the experience.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Carrie T
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Everyone was very friendly ..room was ready on time. Room was a large room..party was great! Band was great food was good service was slow..

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank ClifeCC
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Given we went to Lake George end of October, but is hotel was dreary run down, and over disgusting. Bathroom shower was leaking all over the floor. Mold in the grout, not to mention I was scared that there were bedbugs lurking in the mattress. And to top it all off they didnt have our reservations. If ever go to Lake George again it will never be to this "resort"

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family