Hotel North Woods(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
US$299
US$289
AscendHotels
Courtyard by Marriott Lake Placid(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
Book now, pay at stay
US$379
Courtyard
Crowne Plaza Lake Placid(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
Book now, pay at stay
US$477
US$379
CrownePlaza.com
US$160
US$155
Hotels.com
Hampton Inn & Suites Lake Placid(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
US$403
US$368
High Peaks Resort(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 22/07
US$389
US$377
Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
US$449
  • Pool
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$256
US$242
US$229
QualityInn
Prague Motor Inn(Lake Placid)
US$248
TripAdvisor
All reviewsmaggie's pubrelais and chateauxowls headcovered walkwayhalf bottle of winepastry chefnew ownerships'mores kitsboat tourstone fireplacesoaking tubcross countrywhiteface mountainadirondack styleeach morningturn down servicecookies
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We planned a special trip to the Lake Placid Lodge for my husband’s birthday and were blown away by the beauty of the lodge, the breathtaking surroundings, our perfect cabin at the edge of the lake and the incredibly warm welcome we received from the staff. Keith, Ryan and the rest of the team greeted us with champagne and showered us and our dog with attention that was most welcome after a long 6 hour drive from Boston. The next few days were wonderful – lots of fires in the cabin, reading and generally just enjoying the beautiful lake.

I knew I wanted to plan a very special surprise for the evening of my husband’s birthday, so while he napped on our first day here I slipped away to the front desk. I arranged for a private boat ride, asked to have his favorite beer waiting on the boat and then rented a special outdoor room overlooking the lake with a fireplace for a private dinner. Vanessa booked it for me and she was very helpful and assured me that the room would be done up beautifully with candles and a gorgeously set table for two. The next day I called the front desk and spoke with Spencer and asked him to make two adjustments to our evening. I asked to have one different kind of beer on the boat and asked that our private dinner be catered from the more casual Maggie’s Pub menu.

Last night was my husband’s birthday and we had perfect weather. When we got to the boat, the captain greeted us warmly and mentioned that the beers were on their way. He had reminded the restaurant crew earlier, and they said they were on it. After a few minutes of waiting, he called them and reminded them again and they said they would be right down. After 10 more minutes of waiting, I suggested that we should go without it as we were already 10 minutes into our 5:00 trip and he had one booked right after us at 6:00. The Captain was extremely apologetic and we took off on a lovely (but shorter than planned) ride. A little disappointing, but things happen. However, it seemed odd that when we stepped off the boat and walked past two servers waiting promptly on the dock with baskets of wine and snacks for the people on the next cruise, there was no acknowledgement of the oversight.

Given all this, I was a bit nervous as we walked up the hill to the room where our private dinner was supposed to be. I had pictured us walking in and my husband being blown away. And as we reached the top of the hill, I was completely dismayed to see that the room was filled with unused deck chairs. No table, no fire, no candles, no food, no servers. At the front desk I spoke with Spencer, who seemed not to know anything about the situation. Needless to say, I was in tears, my husband was embarrassed and we ended up eating at the bar of a local tourist restaurant. Now this was all bad enough, but the way it was handled after all this made it so much worse.

When I visited the desk later to find out what happened I was told that there was a “miscommunication.” The implication was that it was my miscommunication. A note left in our cabin from the general manager (who never once came out to the desk to talk to me in person) summed up their response. It basically said, “the beers were totally our fault and we feel terrible about it.” The second much longer paragraph said in essence, “we’re not sure exactly what happened but we understood you to direct us to cancel your private dinner.” You know when someone gives you a non-apology that starts with, “I’m sorry you feel that way.” That’s the way I felt. Not only was my husband’s birthday a debacle, but apparently it was somehow my fault. The letter ended, “Though it is not about this, we have reversed the charges for your boat cruise.” And then they left the beers that were supposed to be on the boat in our cabin. I know they were trying, but that was such the wrong thing to do at that point. My husband is typically a laid back easygoing guy, but even he was shocked by how poorly everything was handled from a resort that touts service excellence.

There were a number of opportunities for the Lake Placid Lodge team to turn this situation around and they missed every one. In short, a strong start but a sad finish from a Relais and Chateaux property with a pricetag of $1,500 a night.

8  Thank KathleenBridget_11
LodgeGeneralManager, General Manager at Lake Placid Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2011

Dear KathleenBridget_11:

I have sent you privately in the mail today my sincere apologies for both our failures concerning your husband's birthday celebration and our response to those failures.
Kind regards,
John Graham

Reviewed July 24, 2011

We stayed one night in Buck cabin lake front. This accommodation has a deck & 2 bedrooms. The views were knock out. We were not suppose to be in the is cabin but once I saw it I knew we had to have it! Lovely deck, waters edge, very nice.

The pros: Very beautiful main lodge, reported to have cost 40 million to build. It is really a work of art. Very friendly helpful staff. Breakfast on our private deck was world class. Boat tour a must & the way to see Lake Placid.

The cons: Some housekeeping issues that should not exist at rooms over a $1,000 a night. Ditto with the smoking fireplace (and I know how to use one). Rooms can be very dark on a brilliant day due to 'cabin look', low ceilings & dark colors.

Would return, just a very special spot. Be sure you select the right room for your needs. At these prices it could be a make or break choice.

Room Tip: Buck, a 2 bedroom cabin is choice!
1  Thank Wilhelmenia
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Lake Placid Lodge is a hidden jewel. The accommodations are magnificent, the surroundings are magical, the food is fabulous, and the staff is attentive. We plan to go back every year!!!

Room Tip: Speak to Nancy or Keith - you can pick lakeside cabin or magnificent suite
1  Thank RBScherl
LodgeGeneralManager, General Manager at Lake Placid Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2011

Dear RBScherl
On behalf of the entire team at the Lake Placid Lodge, we are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We are truly gratified to be able to serve you and look forward to doing so in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance with anything at all. Warm Regards, John Graham, General Manager

Reviewed July 13, 2011

We were there for Christmas with two other couples. The lodge is lovely, we stayed in one of the cabins, with great views of the lake. The food is great, rooms are very large, the bathtub so enormous you can swim. Great toiletries from Bigellow. We took our dogs and they not only provided dog beds but bowls and biscuits. The down beds are amazing.

Room Tip: Cabins are the way to go.
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends

Dear danixnyc , Thank you very much for your kind words. We pride ourselves on always trying to anticipate guest’s needs and are truly gratified to be able to serve you. The holidays are our favorite time here at the Lodge and it is our honor to share them with you, your friends and pets! We look forward to your next visit with us again in the near future and please call on us anytime if we can be of assistance. Warm Regards, John Graham, General Manager

Reviewed July 9, 2011

I was planning my first anniversary trip with my wife when we found this hotel on tripadvisor. We were not planning to (and could not) go very far but we could drive somewhere here in NY. At first I thought it would be too expensive but then I called them to see what they had available. Turns out they had this great promotion at the moment (March 2011(Yes, I don’t mind the cold)) and we took it.
To make a long story short, when we arrived they had upgraded us to an incredible room. The staff was super friendly and provided great service, the food was great and the chef even gave us a private cooking lesson. The highlight of the trip was the private dinner at the wine cellar with a one-off tasting menu (and wine tasting too).
The place is very unique: great location, rustic, has its own personality and comfortable.
It was not the prime season to enjoy Lake Placid, but it still felt very romantic and it was worth every penny.
I highly recommend visiting the LPL

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mlz111

Dear mlz111 , Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your special day. We are delighted to read your very kind comments and thank you for taking the time to let us know what a great experience you had with us. We hope to welcome you back for your 2nd Anniversary as well!  Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance with anything at all. Warm Regards, John Graham, General Manager