All reviews maggie's pub relais chateaux owls head half bottle of wine pastry chef new ownership s'mores kits boat tour stone fireplace soaking tub whiteface mountain cross country adirondack style each morning turn down service cookies spent three nights
Reviewed February 22, 2018

We stayed between Christmas and New Years, where the resort seemed to be about half full or a bit less most of the time.

I'll start with pluses. The Lake Placid Lodge view and the hard product in the cabins and the lodge are amazing. We stayed in the Owl's Head and our view was just great. I'm sure the view is just as amazing in the summer where you can get a great view of all the wildlife on the lake.

Our cabin was large and very comfortable. The real wood burning fireplace added some needed warmth and plenty of charm as well. The bathroom was very large and well laid out. My wife liked the vanity in the bathroom and even though we didn't use the sauna, it seemed like a great amenity to have in room, especially in the cold winter. The room was clean and well maintained. Our only issue was the blanket on the couch clearly had a wet dog or two on it and smelled as such. Odd it wasn't replaced after such a stay. Other than that though the room was great.

Other pluses were the quality of the food on site. Artisans for dinner provided both excellent service and food. Maggies for dinner as well as Artisans for breakfast still had great food, but were hampered but lack of staff so service was subpar at best. More on that in the cons.

We had in room massages and the service the hotel outsources to was great. The ladies were perfectly on time, professional and did a great job. We highly recommend getting some in room treatments if you stay here.

Now for the cons. The service at the Lodge really seems to be trying hard, but must be hampered by lack of staffing or other issues.

When I called a month or two before we arrived to ask some questions about the cabin layouts and amenities, the lady on the phone told me to just look online. The reason I was calling was because the website didn't answer my questions. I ended up booking Owl's Head, the most expensive cabin available, simply because it was the only description that had everything we needed. I later learned any lake front cabin would have done just as well to meet what we wanted.

Maggie's for dinner and Artisans for breakfast were very short staffed. Breakfast took nearly 2 hours each morning. We weren't in any hurry, being on vacation, but I think that's way too long for any breakfast, especially since we each just ordered one entree and nothing very complicated. Maggie's took almost as long, which isn't bad for dinner, but again excessive for just an entree and some drinks. We arrived when Maggie's was maybe half empty so were able to get our orders in before the rush. By the time we were settled in we saw many people waiting 20 or 30 minutes to just get noticed by the staff. Food was excellent even with the delays, but clearly something needs to be done so people are attended to.

The biggest issue came though with how the hotel dealt with a rather small lapse in service. Our room wasn't serviced one day. We called before we left for dinner and they assured us someone would come by later to take care of it. Turn down came, but not housekeeping which ended up meaning we were short toweled and missing a few other things. Turndown took any used towels and items, but didn't replace them. We called and asked for them to just bring replacement items and service the room tomorrow when we got back from dinner, and again someone assured us they would stop by shortly. We fell asleep without anyone coming by. The next morning, knowing breakfast would take hours we called to ask them to come by. There was also a fireplace issue so we asked them to fix that as well while we were out. They assured us they would get it done while we ate, but of course they did not.

After breakfast the front desk wasn't picking up so I had to walk all the way back, another 5 minute walk in the negative temperature weather, to talk to them in person. The craziest thing I found out is someone had come to our room, taken pictures of the broken fireplace, but not tried to fix it. While I waited in the lobby they sent someone to fix it, which apparently took less than five minutes. At this time the manager was made aware of our issues and of course our room was serviced immediately.

This was a very minor issue, which could have been dealt with very easily at multiple times, but the hotel just dropped the ball over and over. Something that could have been fixed the night before or at least while we ate breakfast in less than 30 minutes, left us with a really negative impression of the entire stay.

Overall I'm very torn. The location and lodge itself are beautiful. But unless I am somehow assured the lodge fixes its staffing issues to insure itself against any possible hiccups, I can't possibly recommend staying here. At about $1600 per night after the silly resort fee, which should just be included in the rate, I expect far more.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Mark H
Reviewed February 18, 2018

Wonderful bar at the Lake Placid Lodge to drop in for a drink or a bite of food. Great decor and atmosphere especially thanks to Lori, an amazing bartender. Worth the visit just for her special drinks!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed February 15, 2018

My boyfriend, now my fiancée and I have traveled to many countries and stayed in many hotels and this place is by far one of the top 3 places we have ever stayed. From the moment we walked in we knew we had picked the exact right place to celebrate our engagement on Valentine's Day. When we arrived we were warmly greeted by Regina who offered champagne and made sure our room was ready for us for an early check in. She also took a few photos of us by the roaring fire. While we waited, we had a killer crab shrimp BLT by the fireplace at Maggie's, the casual restaurant at the lodge. We then joined another couple for a tour by CJ, the general manager, who was very knowledgeable about the history of the lodge and the fantastic artisans that crafted the furniture and paintings. He personally showed us to our room where we had a bottle of champagne, chocolate covered strawberries and a lovely card congratulating us on our happy news. The room, Pine, was amazing. The stone Fireplace was stocked with wood and ready to light, there were goodies in a basket, wine, a large soaking tub, a phenomenal view of the lake, and a porch with cute chairs, and even a
swing. After a brisk hike on Jack a Rabbit trail, we dined in the fancy Artisans restaurant for a most fantastic meal. I can't even describe the creative dessertwe had - when warm caramel was poured over top, it broke apart revealing the yummy inside. Manny, our server, was funny, professional and made us feel welcome. The chef is extraordinary. So... in a nutshell, here are some adjectives to describe Lake Placid Lodge -over the top, par excellence, 5 plus star, phenomenal, warm, welcoming, romantic. STAY HERE. It's worth every penny and we have vowed to celebrate Valentines Day here every year!

Room Tip: We chose the lesser expensive room, Pine, and it was just fine!
Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2018

I so wish I could give Lake Placid Lodge 5 stars because our recent winter wedding really was so beautiful and so perfect for us ... but if I'm going to give an honest review I have to mention that there is definitely room for improvement.

The first time we walked into Lake Placid Lodge we knew instantly that this is where we wanted to get married. The lodge is so beautiful, and rustic, and cozy. Each room is prettier than the next - from the fireplaces, to the antique rugs, to the rustic furniture .. you will feel like you are secluded in your own cozy winter wonderland. We started our stay in St. Armand (one of the lakeview private cabins) and it was wonderful. The view was fabulous, the bed was super comfortable, the soaking tub was huge, and the fireplace was cozy. We were later upgraded to Whiteface (the largest room of the resort), which was super spacious and super luxurious - a real treat! Our ceremony was in the Moose Room - a small cozy room with a fireplace, and our reception was in the Baby Bootlegger Room. The rooms were set up and decorated by Ashley and her team BEAUTIFULLY. The atmosphere was so romantic and rustic.

If you are contemplating a wedding at Lake Placid Lodge - DO IT. The setting was so perfect for our intimate wedding (only 25 people total) and our guests all raved about the venue and the food. BUT, with that said, I was a bit surprised at how complicated the planning process was. Perhaps I'm just an over organized person, but I was disappointed at how often I had to email and call and send follow up reminders just to get some of the basics planned (menus, guest count, contracts, pricing). The lack of communication meant most of our planning was unfortunately left for the last two weeks - which caused a bit of chaos. The actual day was so beautiful, but there were billing errors, and food errors, and timing errors. None of this was significant enough to damper the big day - but I feel like it could have been avoided with a bit more organization and customer service. With that said, Ashley (who took over for Chris as the coordinator) and CJ (the general manager) were WONDERFULLY accommodating. Their hospitality more than made up for any of our planning frustrations. Our stay was extended and we were able to enjoy the property for a bit longer. During our stay (we honeymooned for an additional 4 nights after the wedding) we took advantage of many of the included services: drivers are available until 10:30pm that will take you to and from town whenever you want, our car was cleaned off and dug out every time it snowed, and cross country skis and snowshoes were available at no extra cost. Our stay was quiet, we sometimes seemed to be the only people staying at the resort, but it was wonderful.

The bottom line - Lake Placid Lodge is VERY expensive compared to other venues in the location (I unfortunately feel they are a bit overpriced - beware of the resort fee), but if we had to do it all over again we would 100% choose Lake Placid Lodge every time. Sometimes location and venue are worth the price, hiccups and all.

Room Tip: Lakeview cabins were my personal fave! So quaint and romantic.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Emily H
Reviewed January 4, 2018

Living in the woods, fireplace, rest, plenty of snow, good restaurant is what you get at this nice place. Expensive. Good service. 20 minutes away from Lake Placid town, where you can visit the olympic museum. LP was home to winter olympics in 1932 and 1980, where the great game between USRR and the USA happened...."Miracle on Ice"....a bunch of superb amateurs athletes beat the professional and multicultural team from the Soviet republics team.

Room Tip: Cabin with lake view
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family