Others may go to this area for the skiing and outdoors, etc, but the reason I return each year is to enjoy the ambience, dining, and activities offered by the Mirror Lake Inn.
Our first family getaway to the Inn was in 2010 and we returned again in 2011. We booked side-by-side rooms (each with a balcony) facing the lake. The rooms were clean, quiet and spacious - with good intranet access (a must for my 3 teenagers).
The rooms were only steps away from the main building which I would describe as an "elegant lodge" -- dark wood, high ceilings, comfortable seating areas, and a relaxed atmosphere. My favourite room there was the "library". In the early morning, it was a great place to go to curl up on one of the couches in front of the fire with a coffee and read the newspapers. At night, we often borrowed board games from the front desk after dinner and played them at one of the library tables.
During the days, we took advantage of the boats (kayaks, canoes) available for guests to use and paddled around the lake. Our youngest daughter enjoyed the scavenger hunt (surprisingly good prizes) and the swimming pool. The chocolate chip cookies available all day long at the front desk were a hit with everyone. And everyone was happy to spend a couple of hours strolling and browsing along the main street with its shops and ice cream stores.
The sunrise yoga and sunset kayak trip booked through the hotel were good. (Other than a hot rock massage, we haven't spent very much time at the Spa.)
I had expected on both trips to dine more in the village, but the Inn's restaurants were so good that we ate most of our meals there. Breakfast was included with our room package and it was excellent - generous portions and a good selection. We enjoyed being able to eat lunch at the casual "Cottage" restaurant at a table overlooking the lake before heading off into town. And dinner at the Inn itself was a foodie's delight with great service and a comfortable, relaxing atmosphere. For the dining alone, I would return!
Looking forward to returning for our annual getaway in Summer 2012!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The distinguishing feature of this inn, which has been in business since 1924, is that all 131 rooms have a view of Mirror Lake and the Adirondack Mountains. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TravelClick, Priceline, Travelocity.ca and getaroom.com so you can book your Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mirror Lake Hotel Lake Placid
- Mirror Lake Inn Resort And Spa
- Mirror Lake Resort