See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed June 24, 2009

The Good:

The Bad:
The only room available was the $70 "budget room" which we soon came to refer to as the hovel! It was dark, noisy (beside the laundry room where all the staff gather in force to chat) and dingy. The mosquito net had holes and was so poorly hung that it rested on our faces while sleeping! The roof was plywood and looked like it would cave in at any moment. The plugs were smashed to pieces.

..... and the UGLY:
The toilet was horrendous! But the final straw came when my husband got electric shocks while trying to turn on the "shower". The staff informed him that the problem was that he was in his bare feet, and he should have touched the wall to ground the current! The manager and owner were very unfriendly and uninterested.

Conclusion: Stay at the Triangle hotel just around the corner... friendly staff, stunning view and a third of the cost!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shasha50
Reviewed June 2, 2009

I stayed at the Gately on the Nile in Jinja at the end of May. My husband and I rented one of the cottages -- it was a bit pricey compared to our usual haunts in Uganda, but was well worth it! After 4 weeks of awkwardly bathing with a handheld shower head and cool to lukewarm water, the beautiful stone shower in the cottage was a bit of heaven. It truly was the best shower I have ever taken in my life -- hot water flowed from the shower head onto the cool stones at my feet, while I listened to Nile birdsong and felt the cool breeze from the screened windows (with a bamboo barricade for privacy). I took three showers within 24 hours just to repeat the experience! The cottage (#1) was very attractive, with a comfortable queen sized bed and flower lined walkway. Our breakfast and coffee the next morning were lovely and we enjoyed the gardens and river view. Only con: many small brown ants occupied the sink area -- though this was a minor annoyance as I am learning to make peace with the numerous ants of Uganda. No food invasion = no foul.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank abwoli
Reviewed April 27, 2009

We stayed here for 2 nights in a beautiful room, the staff were very friendly, the location and gardens were amazing and the food in the restaurant was gorgeous. We met some great people here and really enjoyed this oasis of calm in Jinja.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MuzunguPortlaoise
Reviewed February 20, 2009

I visited Gately's on a very long African trip. Stopping here was the most relaxing and envigorating in a wonderfully simple way.

The hotel is primarily located in one large old house, and secondarily in a second large house, and now I think they also have cottages on the property.

The rooms are huge and airy with dark wood floors and big four post beds with mosquito nets.

Different rooms have different positives and negatives. I was a bit uncomfortable in a groundfloor room right next to the patio, but most enjoyed an upstairs room in the second building. But I think each room is lovely and it is only a matter of personal preference.

The service is very personal and the staff are keen to reciprocate in some light banter and discussion if you intiate - they are very genuine.

The restaurant at this hotel is one of the best parts. In an unexplainable way it is just so relaxing. The eating area is out on the patio overlooking the lawn and with a view down to lake Victoria. The recipes are varied and delicoius - not fancy gourmet food but amazing flavours and local ingredients.

The hotel has a really nice feel. You can spend some time in the main lounge area reading or enjoying the magazines they have in big stacks. They have a small library as well.

The location is walking distance to downtown Jinja, however only if you are enthusiastic. It probably takes about half an hour to get to the mainstreet.

By hiring a taxi (which Gately's will of course assist with) you can travel to Bujugali falls in only about 45 minutes and take in some adventure activities there. Or you can take a boat ride on lake victoria or go to the iconic "birth of the nile" where lake victoria flows out.

All in all this hotel is just relaxing. Really good to just space out and read or take some quiet time.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank itzakadoozie
Reviewed November 16, 2008

We stayed at the Gately for 1 night on our way through from Mt Elgon. After a few days in tents and a basic hotel any sort of luxury was going to be appreciated. However Gately surpassed our expectations. It was well styled. Maybe it was a little tired in places (but it was Uganda). The staff and owner were very welcoming. It was just what we needed. We wanted to open our own place along the same lines!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank samwardill