“Shows its age!”

Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Latham
New Orleans, LA
“Shows its age!”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

This entire complex is supposedly going through a major renovation to be completed by end of 2012, so hopefully in a year's time the reviews will get better. However, for now, this Residence Inn is by far the worst I've experienced. I stayed in a "2-bedroom suite" and everything was old and worn - carpet, furniture, bed, kitchen cabinets, appliances, fixtures, etc. No king sized beds anywhere, only queen size which feels really small.

Building materials are way too skimpy - no insulation from the noise of the airport that's just outside the complex, no insulation from the doors slamming and footfalls of your neighbors, no insulation from the sub-zero temps outside. Water heater and central heating units make loud noises, constantly. The daily breakfasts and M-Th dinners are a joke (eggs from a box?! mac & cheese?! nachos?!). Kitchen utensils (pots/pans) are some cheap Walmart knock-offs so you can't even cook a decent meal in your room without your food hopelessly sticking to the bottoms of all the cookware.

The only good thing about this place is that the staff is friendly.

Room Tip: Guests in first floor rooms will hear everything that goes on above their heads. Guests in second fl...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Mendon, Vermont
Reviewed 17 October 2011

We stayed here because we had an early morning flight from Albany airport the next day. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful.

The hotel is layed out like an apartment complex and our suite was on the second floor in building one. The suite consisted of a fully equipped kitchen, dining area, living room (with fireplace and pull out couch), a downstairs bedroom with queen bed and en suite bathroom, and an upstairs bedroom loft with ensuite bathroom. All of the furniture and equipment was clean, modern and tasteful.

We all had a good night's sleep and would definitely stay here again. The hotel also offers complimentary breakfast, but our flight was very early, so we didn't get to try it. They also offer a sort of happy hour with eats Monday through Thursday evenings.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Wellesley, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 September 2011

My daughter graduated from college in the Albany/Schenectady area and we needed a place where our out of town guests could stay and assemble for the various graduation functions. We took a 2 bedroom and 3 1BR suites. Our 2BR suite was perfect for the informal get togethers, like arrival day and a pre-dinner party. We have stayed here many times before, when visiting my daughter and the extra room and privacy was well appreciated. There is a very large common area for breakfast, in which a typical motel breakfast was served. On one trip back to our room, my wife commented, I
"I really feel at home here, in a little village with our closest relatives and free coffee."
Only one disappointment, which could have been a disaster, but turned out fine. Two days before check-in (remember, 4 rooms), I received a call telling me there would be no 2 BR units available (although I had booked 6 months in advance and even followed up one week in advance), because a group decided to not check out. We were able to re-arrange everyone and the hotel did find one 2BR, which we had to have.

Room Tip: The 2BR is plenty big for a family or two couples seeking privacy.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Cleveland
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This is the first time we stayed at this Residence Inn because it was only 10 minutes from Siena College and we had to move our daughter back in on Labor Day of all days! We arrived on Sunday, Sept. 4 at 4pm after a 7 hour drive from Ohio. We booked a 1 bedroom suite and they said they were going to upgrade us to a penthouse unit, but because it was the holiday weekend, alot of the guests were requesting later check outs. The front desk was very apologetic and she kept checking with the cleaning staff to let her know ASAP when our unit would be ready. We were in 1126. Our room was ready at 4:30 and they had some nice compfy chairs outside by an outdoor fire pit where we sat until our unit was ready. The room was clean. Our bed (queen) was upstairs in the loft area. Our daughter stayed downstairs on the pullout murphy bed (queen) and said it was going to be more comfortable than her dorm bunkbed! We did not hear the airplanes in our room until 6:30am on Monday morning. Their free breakfast was very nice and they have alot more seating room than at Fairfield Inns. There were two rooms actually. My husband is a Marriott rewards member so they usually try to upgrade us if they can. The front desk and staff in the breafast area were very friendly. My only complaint on the penthouse units is that the sink/vanity area (upstairs) are outside of the bathroom from tub/shower which makes the latter a very small area. You have to come in, shut the door and turn around. But the downstairs bathroom is not like that at all. It is all in one room. They did leave earplugs that you could use while you slept. I'm sure you could request more if everyone in your party needed a pair. We didn't use them, but we had to get up early anyway. We will be staying here the next 2 years before "move in day" since our daughter is only a sophmore!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Camden, ME
Reviewed 21 July 2011

We have stayed here several times. I have special dietary needs and the kitchen is so much easier than trying to find a restaurant to eat in. While my husband is at work, I can hang out at the hotel and work from my computer while enjoying my own meals. It also is close to several malls, good restaurants and movie theaters. There is a pool, volleyball court and exercise room. It is pretty quiet in the western side of the complex. The eastern (higher numbered) rooms are next to the airport and a bit noisier. The rooms are very nice and spacious. Some have fireplaces.

We have had a couple of problems with the sink and maintenance was there in a jiffy to resolve the issue. The maids are very nice and clean well. The front staff are friendly and helpful.

Great place!

Room Tip: Get a room away from the airport.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Missouri
Reviewed 22 June 2011

We just stopped for the night in route, so this was fine. If we were staying longer, we would look for someplace else. First off this isn't really a hotel, it is set up like little separate cabins, which we thought was fine, exept that the ceiling/floor has little sound barrier. The bathroom and bed were clean, as was the kitchette. It was a cozy looking room with more space than we needed. The staff were some of the nicest we met on our trip.There was plenty of parking.
But the airplanes really are directly overhead and oh so loud. I probably could have slept through most of that exept that someone was shooting birds out of the trees at 5:30am until 7, (I'm sure that doesn't happen every day). After 12 hours of driving we were tired and didn't plan to get up quite that early.
We did have a free breakfast, and thought it to be a good variety. There was a basketball court, tennis court and pool. We didn't use them, but they looked nice and would be good for a family.

Room Tip: See if you can stay upstairs.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 11 May 2011

After reading other reviews of this hotel I'm surprised to find a similar experience from August 21, 2007. Obviously this has been going on for some time now. Maybe others have just not posted.

I'm a Platinum Marriott member, I stay over 100 nights a year in Marriott's and generally go out of my way to stay at one of their brands.

This is my first experience where my reservation at a Marriott was not honored. I showed up around 5pm and was told that a "large group" was still at the hotel and had decided to not check out yet. So they did not have a room for me.

The real crappy part was that they do not honor the Marriott "Ultimate Reservation Guarantee". I had to call Marriott directly to enforce the rules of the program which require the hotel to provide alternate accommodations at their cost among other benefits.

This is the only Marriott I have ever written up to say AVOID AVOID AVOID this property. A better option (and a very nice property) is the nearby Hilton Garden Inn. Stay there instead, rates are about the same.

Room Tip: Marriott members need to avoid this property !
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Latham
0.9 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Albany Airport
3.4 km away
Microtel Inn by Wyndham Albany Airport
4.5 km away
Hampton Inn Albany - Wolf Road (Airport)
5.6 km away
Staybridge Suites Albany Wolf Rd-Colonie Center

Been to Residence Inn Albany Airport? Share your experiences!