All reviews sliding bathroom door going green spg platinum sufficient space you're basically roof terrace weekday morning manhattan view glass shower queens plaza body wash times square court square diner long island subway station stayed at this hotel for nights air con
Reviewed August 4, 2018 via mobile

The staff at Aloft were absolutely fantastic! We were allowed an early check-in at 9am so that we didn’t have to haul our luggage around all morning while sight seeing. The lobby, hallways, rooftop, and elevators were immaculate and smelled divine! I wish Aloft would bottle and smell that scent!

Probably the coolest feature at Aloft is Alo, pictured below. He brought ice to our room when the lobby was out one evening, and he called our room phone when he arrived at our door.

We were also rewarded for “going green” during our stay, which was pretty cool. The staff were kind enough to hold onto our luggage after checking out before our evening flight—again so we could sight see luggage free—and allowed us to chill in the lobby before catching the subway to the airport.

Overall, a wonderful stay. We will definitely be back someday! ❤️

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rebekka7259
Reviewed July 25, 2018

Room was nice. For some reason the full length mirror is hidden on the outside of the bathroom door, which you cannot see or know is there unless you close the door. The mirror faces a wall only a few feet away, so there really isn't any room to have a good view. A/C was either very cold or very warm...no middle ground. And if it was on, it was loud. The Rooftop had a great view, but needed a restroom so that we didn't need to go to our room every time. The staff at the front were awkward and not very friendly.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Liz O
Jacob G, General Manager at Aloft Long Island City - Manhattan View, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2018

Thank you very much for the feedback. We are currently in process of installing a bathroom on the roof and it should be complete by the second week of August, you will have to come back and check out the views again. I am sorry about the AC issues, if you can email me I can get our maintenance team to look at the thermostat and the unit in that room. Thank you again for staying with us on your visit to NYC.

Reviewed July 24, 2018

Pros:
- Colorful, upbeat décor
- Abundant lighting
- Larger than the standard New York hotel room
Cons:
- Balcony room not worth the upgrade
- Manhattan view is a bit of a misnomer
- Balcony door issue made for significant noise penetration

As soon as my plane landed at JFK I received a litany of notifications advising my evening flight had been cancelled. With no option to depart that evening I scrambled to find a hotel room. Everything in and around both JFK and LGA were booked solid. After transferring to an online travel booking site I found one room at the Aloft. Surprisingly, Starwood indicated that the hotel was sold out, but the room was still being sold on a third-party web site. This defies the claim that the lowest rate is available through direct booking.

The hotel is very convenient from JFK. A brisk 25-minute subway ride after the Airtrain brought me within one block of the hotel. Check-in was amiable and efficient, and I headed to my room in the back tower. Getting to LaGuardia is not as simple. In lieu of a train to bus connection I opted for Uber which was just over $25 at 8am on a weekday morning and 25 minutes in moderate traffic.

First impression was that the room was notably larger than most in the city. The décor was colorful and upbeat with orange and dark blue hues behind the bed. The carpet was a bit worn and discolored in a few places. The bed was quite comfortable. The air conditioning worked beautifully and was relatively quiet compared to other hotels. There was abundant lighting including attached lamps on both sides of the bed. However, these were a bit bright for reading. The lights were triggered by the master switches at the entryway, and it did take a few tries to get to the right lighting.

Bathroom was also larger than usual with ample counter space, a small refrigerator below the sink, and a glass shower. It took a few minutes for the water to reach the desired temperature, but the pressure was excellent. Aloft includes two dispensers, one for shampoo/conditioner and the other for body wash. The bath towels would rank among the softest for a major hotel chain and seemed on the newer side. On the other hand, the floor towel had several blemishes and appeared worn.

The room was designated as a balcony room which is a bit of misnomer. There was a platform with standing room only for one person. The balcony did not have any furniture, as there was not sufficient space. The problematic aspect of the balcony was that the door would not entirely close once opened. This became an issue during the early morning hours with significant noise penetration. Garbage trucks, construction noise, and other city sounds were quite loud without a sealed door. In fact, it was difficult to even hear the television. Furthermore, there is a design flaw in that the balcony door struck the curtain upon opening and closing which required a bit of maneuvering. Suffice to say, the balcony room was not worth the upgrade.

A potential misnomer is the phrase “Manhattan view” in the hotel name. There are two towers, and my room was in the secondary tower. From my 5th floor room the only view was of several non-descript buildings and a panoramic view of the surrounding construction. Note that I did not specifically reserve a city view room, and there is an upcharge for view rooms. So if you are expecting a Manhattan view, make sure to book the specific room type.
The flat screen television was equipped with approximately 50 channels and good variety. Wi-fi access was easy, and the connection speed was reasonable. In terms of other amenities, breakfast is not included, but there are a few options on site. There is a delightful outdoor courtyard between the two towers. I did not have an opportunity to visit the fitness center.

In summary, the Aloft was there when I needed it the most and delivered with a clean, comfortable room. The door malfunction contributed to a sub-optimal night’s sleep, and the balcony was a disappointment. As a result, the hotel earns an average rating.

Room Tip: Balcony room not worth the upgrade; opt for a room in the main tower
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo

Thank you very much for staying with us. We mainly have two main upgrades, balcony rooms and Manhattan view rooms. The Manhattan View rooms are in the main tower and higher than the 7th floor the balcony rooms are in the rear building. It is true the balcony rooms have a slight view of the city or the courtyard but not total views, if that is what you were looking for next time select a Manhattan view room. I can try to change the description on our site to match this. We are in process of installing a noise canceling stripping on the sliding glass doors that are on the balcony and this should be complete by August 10th, hopefully in the future the noise will be less of an issue. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to you coming back to NYC

Reviewed July 23, 2018 via mobile

Clean modern rooms. Beside metro station just one block away. A small supermarket near by. Breakfast is very limited and helpful staff.
But in the morning it is very crowded you have to call them not less than 3 times if you need anything. But at night one call is enough.overall very good stay
Definitely will come back again

Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business

I am very glad you chose us to stay with during your visit to NYC. We are currently working on how to rework our breakfast due to size constraints. Also in the immediate area there are also several options you can easily visit for a grab and go breakfast such as Starbucks (1.5 blocks away on Jackson) or Cranberry (around the on 42nd rd). Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed July 11, 2018

Stayed in NY many times but more recently elected Aloft in LI City. Miles cheaper than Manhattan but 5 lines or cab take 7-15 minutes to get there. Check in is quick, staff are very friendly and helpful. I usually elect for a high floor and manhattan view - wher else could you get this?! Rooms are well serviced, clean and have all you need, though the sliding door shutting off the toilet area may be a concern for some. There is a lot of building work going on in the area but this will only lead to better infrastructure. Only crit would be breakfast which could do with improvement tho I believe this is being revamped. Alternative eating, is the Court Square diner about 7 minutes walk - one of the best in NYC..

Room Tip: High floor Manhattan view
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for staying with us and saying such wonderful things about our hotel and staff. Our breakfast area can become congested in the morning at times but if you get something from our breakfast you can take it to the rooftop or the courtyard as well to enjoy it. Court Square diner is a definitely on of my favorite places in Long Island city it is not only an institution but is often the filming location for such shows as Gotham and Blue Bloods.