All reviews sliding bathroom door going green spg platinum sufficient space you're basically roof terrace weekday morning manhattan view glass shower queens plaza times square court square diner body wash long island subway station stayed at this hotel for nights air con
Reviewed September 5, 2018

Firstly, the pros;

It does have an idea location, just 5 mins walk (if that) away from 2 Subways, Queens Plaza & Queensboro Plaza - both will get you into NYC very quickly!

It's a modern building so all the fittings & fixtures are still in good working order,

It was kept incredibly clean during our stay

Great views from the rooftop.

Now sadly; our experience kind of mirrors some of the other reviews listen on here about the Hotel & it's staff.

Upon our arrival; around 1600 (rooms should have be available from 1500) we had a wait of approximately 50 mins; the staff were apologetic about it, but you'd have though you'd get offered a complimentary drink for the wait..... NO.

We stayed in room 1709 (road facing room) which had no views whatsoever, except of the railroad etc. The room has very noisy Air Con, with very little adjustment! there's also a ventilation system that is equally noisy! - It was something we accepted and dealt with it, if you're a light sleeper avoid this room!

The Hotel when we booked said it offers a "Continental Breakfast" - now if you're a regular traveller in Europe you'll know that even with Hotels of a cheaper nature a half decent selection of pastries, meats & fruit etc are available. Aloft on the other hand offers a massively dissapointing breakfast! that consists on one coffee (filter) one juice, one pastry, one helping toast, & pre-packaged fruit salad pots! - If you're hoping the pastry's & bread to be fresh - it's not, the whole lot felt stale. Then there's the staff whom manage the breakfast offering! they have their beady eyes watching you don't come back for another juice or coffee! if you do you'll get told off! - I complained about this - I was just played lip service - and fobbed off! even by the hotel manager!

Staff on the front desk; whilst they'll smile and bid you a "have a nice day" I feel some of it just isn't sincere in anyway! - We stayed over Labor Day weekend & the Hotel boasts a Penthouse - this was rented out on the Saturday evening / Sunday Morning where a HUGE party laid on with a DJ etc! our room was directly underneath it! & music boomed away from around 2am until 6am! Even with the Hotel having a night manager, he was powerless to do anything as even after calling NYPD no-one turned up! So having had No sleep - I though i was well within my rights to at least have that nights stay refunded or paid for by the penthouse. No all i got was a 50% discount on that nights stay! - but I had to really push for that to happen! I was fobbed off numerous times by the manager. this i felt was bad customer service. I genuinely bad impression of my first time in NYC.

I certainly don't recommend a stay there!

Now I must state, that this probably isn't a typical stay, (with the Penthouse having a party etc) but the way it was handled was probably indicative of the way staff deal with problems within the hotel; i.e. being fobbed off etc.

However; if you can deal with the 'white noise' of the AC & ventilation system and not have breakfast; it's probably a great place to stay!

Room Tip: Don't have 1709!
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Matt S
Reviewed August 27, 2018

Had a wonderful stay at this very clean and new hotel. Subway only 1 minute away. Very fast access to Manhattan, Times Square. Best beds we ever had! Continental breakfast was o.k. Could need some variations, though. Great views from roof top!

Room Tip: Higher levels offer great views of Manhatten or Queens/LIC
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Willi S
Reviewed August 7, 2018

Spent two nights here on our way back from Europe and were disappointed with several aspects. The breakfast consists of some stale pastries and breads, pre-packaged mixed fruit cups, fruit juices, and single-portion cereals, coffee and teas. No fresh fruit or any source of protein was available, nor was there any place to get a glass of water. When I asked about water I was told by the food Nazi in charge that if I didn’t take a juice, I could have a bottled water!

The room was very new, clean and modern but two things about it were real turnoffs: 1) one of the windows didn’t close all the way so heat/humidity and city noise were a problem (reported to the front desk but it wasn’t corrected nor another room offered 2) the toilet and shower were separated from the sink area with a sliding pocket door that did not fully close (1” gap) which did not give full privacy or noise isolation. Because the hotel room is relatively small, using the tioilet was rather awkward. I don’t know if the door design or installation is the same for all rooms but it definitely was not acceptable. We used some of our Starwood Preferred Guest points for this stay so given that we were not out of pocket and our stay was short, we didn’t demand a different room.

The location is only a half block from the subway and close to Manhattan so it is very convenient but there are a lot of new buildings under construction in the area, so it can be somewhat noisy during the day. There is a nice inner courtyard open to the sky for relaxation. This hotel seems to be focused on young professionals as that represented the vast majority of the guests that we saw.

Room Tip: Check to make sure the flaws noted above don’t exist in your room before you accept it.
Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gauralady
Reviewed August 6, 2018

easy to get to and from the airport. enough going on all hours it still feels safe but a nice distance from the city as well. rooms were small but good size for nyc. breakfast wasn't great, but place was clean.

Stayed: May 2018
Reviewed August 4, 2018 via mobile

The staff at Aloft were absolutely fantastic! We were allowed an early check-in at 9am so that we didn’t have to haul our luggage around all morning while sight seeing. The lobby, hallways, rooftop, and elevators were immaculate and smelled divine! I wish Aloft would bottle and smell that scent!

Probably the coolest feature at Aloft is Alo, pictured below. He brought ice to our room when the lobby was out one evening, and he called our room phone when he arrived at our door.

We were also rewarded for “going green” during our stay, which was pretty cool. The staff were kind enough to hold onto our luggage after checking out before our evening flight—again so we could sight see luggage free—and allowed us to chill in the lobby before catching the subway to the airport.

Overall, a wonderful stay. We will definitely be back someday! ❤️

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple