“bad night sleep”

Red Roof PLUS+ & Suites Malone
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Malone
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Returning from New England ski trips, we stayed at different hotels between Plattsburgh and Canton.
This year we chose Super8 Malone, based entirely on Trip Advisor reviews.
It was not bottom cheap: we paid $78 for a small (smallest, according to the room diagram I saw on the door) room. In recent years, we paid $68 for LaQuinta in Plattsburgh and $72 for Microtel Plattsburgh. Both were much better options.
Super8 Malone was basic, clean and quiet, but we lost the night sleep because of the heater and the bad bed.
Heater was setup on 71F, low speed. It cycled every 5 minutes with rambling loud noises and lifted the curtain which made swishing noises. In all, the nightmare was: lost in the middle of a winter storm.
In addition, the bed was called queen, but it had the size of a double, sagging badly in the middle.
Next year, we'll choose again a hotel in Plattsburgh. There is a larger, much better selection.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank sealover_7
S8_Scott, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ & Suites Malone, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule topost on TripAdvisor. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. The goal of Super 8 Malone, one of the top two ranked Super 8 brand properties in New York State, is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

Please know that the information you have provided is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours, when provided, assists us in improving our service and property. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed.

Reviewed 27 December 2011

stayed in Malone in Dec 11 in connection with a Funeral, so last minute reservation. Calling the desk beat by a decent amount, the dollars the "discount" sites wanted. People at the desk were very nice and accommodating. Room was clean, hotel is no frills, with no pool or exercise room that we didn't need so didn't want to pay for. Breakfast was basic but again, clean environment. WiFi worked. HBO a bonus.

Newer chain property now in town at greater cost. can't go wrong here for basic lodging. Arranged a late check out for our extended family with no prompting. Great restaurant for breakfast right next door and grocery store across the street. convenient +. Hooper BTV

Room Tip: call the motel before using expedia or such.... better price by a significant amount can be had-in m...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank bob h
S8_Scott, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ & Suites Malone, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Super 8 Malone. We try our hardest to match or beat "discount" sites' prices, but can only do so if you contact us directly. (And we are glad you found that out first hand.)

Under the circumstances we offer a late check-out at no additional cost to you because we realize that between services and gatherings it isn't easy to find a place to change for a trip home.

As one of the top two Super 8 locations in New York State, we pride ourselves on meeting any needs you may have, and hope you found this to be true during your stay. Should you have any future hospitality needs in the Malone area, I hope you keep us in mind, and we hope to see you again soon.

Regards, and have a Super Day,

Reviewed 24 October 2011

Returning to Massachusetts from Toronto we decided to go back through Northern NY & down into Vermont. The day was rainy and the cold autumn night was closing in fast. As navigator it was my job to find us a place to spend the night. Searching the AAA guidebook I realized it would have to be someplace called Malone, NY or travel late into the night to get to Burlington, VT. for a motel.

I called ahead & reserved a room with Megan. Pleasant & efficient, she secured a 1st floor room for us as I had requested. The room was clean & comfortable. The TV a large HD flat screen and there was a fridge & microwave in the room as well. The water pressure is fantastic!

The neighboring cafe was closed but Megan was able to direct us to a restaurant that fit the request of a place that was close by with good food & open. (Gallaghers).

A lucky find for us and worthy of a recommendation here: I think you would be satisfied with a night spent in the Super8 in Malone, NY. Clean, comfortable, economical, friendly, free 24 hour coffee in the lobby and a free continental breakfast in the morning.

Seriously, what more do you need?

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank LowellBear
S8_Scott, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ & Suites Malone, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2011

The Management and Staff at the Super 8 Malone was pleased to hear you had a pleasant stay with us. We appreciate that, in the vast selection of properties to call 'home' for the night, you chose to stay with us.

Being one of the top two Super 8 properties in New York State, we have high expectations for our property as a whole. Our Housekeeping staff work hard to ensure that your room meets both your expectations, as well as our own. And our Desk Staff take pride in getting the word out about what our little corner of the world has to offer each and every guest and visitor
We are pleased you had a positive experience with us, and hope that if you're passing through the area again, we will see you and be able to serve you in the same manor.

Regards and have a Super Day!

Reviewed 15 August 2011

Very pleasant staff ,who are willing to take the time on informing you on the Malone Area if your not familiar with it. Including best places no only to visit but to eat at. Our first stay was a week before iin the end of July on our way to Vermont, we stopped over for the night and we were so pleased ,we stay at beginning of August on our way home fromour week long holiday. Front desk staff we exceptional. Also Owl's Nest has great Pizza for ordering in. Place was clean and every one we met (cleaning staff) mad sure they said hi. Did not get a chance for breakfast so I cannot comment on it. Also if you want a bigger breakfast we noticed a busy restaurant next door but did not try. Great location also... We will be back this Sept. for part 2 of our holidays for a stop over.

R. Proulx
Ottawa,Ont Canada

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Roger P
S8_Scott, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ & Suites Malone, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2011

Roger,
We are very pleased that you enjoy staying with us, as much as we enjoy your company as a guest. We are even more pleased that you not only enjoy your stay with us, but also enjoy the area overall as well. Malone, and surrounding communities, have so much to offer everyone, and we are more than happy to showcase that to anyone who asks.
The entire staff appreciates the kind words and review, and we look forward to seeing you again when you return in September.

Regards and have a Super Day!

Reviewed 18 July 2011

I have frequented the Super 8 in Malone since it first opened and am often satisfied - although admittedly my expectations are starting to feel unmet as of late. This motel provides a clean retreat compared to many of the other smaller local motels in the area. Housekeeping clearly takes the time to properly prepare each room for it's guests and the amenities all still feel new.

My concerns as of late is with this motel's ability to meet my reservation requirements. During my last two stays (2 separate stays during the month of July) the room I booked was not available and my spouse and I were downgraded from a room with a comfortable queen size bed to a standard room with two doubles. Being away from home and sleeping in a bed that's not your own is hard enough - but made even tougher when you are forced into a smaller bed. On both occassions I was told that the hotel was full and they couldn't offer me the room I booked with my reservation. Hotel staff could not provide a reason why the room I requested was not available.

All and all, the Super 8 is a nice place with a convenient location - but I'm unsure if I will continue to go there. I will be visiting Malone indefinitely every two weeks but may have to begin opting for the slightly more expensive Holiday Inn in order to ensure my reservations are held. I'm still giving this motel a chance though - and have booked a room for two more nights this month - so we'll see. I'll be sure to provide a new review if and when those stays happen.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank jeffmarlowe0619
S8_Scott, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ & Suites Malone, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2011

I am very sorry to hear of your frustration with your recent reservations. On your reservations for 7/1/11 there was a request for a second floor room with 2 Queen beds, on the Rockland St. side. The backside of our building upstairs has rooms with 2 Double beds in each excluding only 2 rooms with one King size bed. All rooms upstairs with Queen bed(s) are located on the front of the building. The move would have been made to accommodate your request for facing Rockland St., not realizing that the Queen bed request was preferred. I do apologize for that.

The Queen rooms on the backside (Rockland St. side) of the building are located on the first floor and are the first 3 as you walk in from the lobby. Two of them are handicap accessible rooms which is what your original reservation was made for the weekend of July 16th. After speaking with the staff member that was working on the morning of the 16th he explained that a guest with special needs had came in requesting a handicap accessible room. We only have 2 of those and one was already occupied. Again I apologize that the room was changed for that accomodation, we have taken steps internally to ensure that any rooms you book will not be changed in any future reservations.

We appreciate your continued loyalty and look forward to meeting your hospitality needs in the future.

Reviewed 7 June 2011

This hotel is spotless. Every nook and cranny is clean. The hotel is nicely furnished. The free breakfast is well presented. I stay here every time I come up to Potsdam NY and drive the 50 minutes into Potsdam becasue this hotel is the cleanest around.

Room Tip: I always stay on the second floor
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank potsdammom
S8_Scott, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ & Suites Malone, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2011

We appreciate the time you have taken to let the public know your opinion of our property. We strive to make every stay here the best possible and we are glad we have so far achieved that goal with you. We will continue to make each stay as good, if not better, than the previous one, and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 19 April 2011

Super 8 was fantastic! It was extremely clean, the staff was so friendly and helpful. The manager on duty, Scott, was there to give advice on the area, help me find where to eat and a pleasure to talk with. I would stay there again just because of him.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank eeyore12596
S8_Scott, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ & Suites Malone, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2011

Your comments are greatly appreciated. We were very pleased to hear about your positive stay with us. We take great pleasure in filling all of our guests' needs, and hope we did just that during your stay. We hope you will be returning to the area soon, and also hope you will stay with us once again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Malone
1.3 km away
4 km away
Dreamland Motel
Dreamland Motel
#3 of 5 in Malone

Been to Red Roof PLUS+ & Suites Malone? Share your experiences!