“Closed”

Tasty Acre of Chautauqua
Ranked #12 of 25 Restaurants in Mayville
Cuisines: American
Reviewed June 3, 2017 via mobile

Tasty Acres was a family favorite every year when we were at Chautauqua. However upon visiting this month we found it has closed and is for sale. Too bad.

Reviewed September 19, 2016

Tasty Acre gets its fanbase largely through convenience. It is by far the cheapest place to eat for those visiting Chautauqua Institution, and it's in a prime location. The food is mediocre at best and, at times, overpriced in order to take advantage of the Chautauqua crowd. If you are able to, you'd be better off driving 5 minutes or less for much better food and value at Stedman Corners, the Sweet Spot, or even the Mayville Diner.

That being said, I've had breakfast and lunch here since I work in the area from time to time. It was "off-season", so many other options were closed. My breakfast sandwich was greasy, the biscuit was doughy, and the cheesy was rubbery. The sandwich I ordered for lunch was low on ingredients and high on price.

However, I will say that the service at Tasty Acre has been consistently good. They have "regulars" that they goof around with, but they are no less attentive to new guests.

Reviewed August 25, 2016 via mobile

This diner serves breakfast , lunch and dinner during the Summer. It is clean and wait staff is attentive.
It depends on what you order as to how good it is. I had the chicken tenders with fries, too much fried but that was my choice. I would not get that again. The others had sandwiches that looked fine I have to have gluten free so didn't order a sandwich. I have had the smothered chicken which is good. The have pies and small cake loaves that you can buy to take out.

Reviewed July 23, 2016 via mobile

Nice little cafe immediately adjacent to the Chautauqua Institution. A nice spot to stop for home cooking between sessions. Check out their bakery.

Reviewed July 13, 2016

Let's start at the conclusion: If you're looking for a good lunch in the area, look somewhere else.

My wife and I were driving through the area and stopped to see the Chautauqua Institution and grab a quick lunch. Tasty Acre came with generally quite good reviews, and we love little diners & local joints; stopping here seemed like a great choice.

The decor & overall atmosphere aren't worth the trouble to discuss; you could call them homey & informal -- or worn and outdated, but that depends more on your perspective. Suffice it to say that we've eaten at (and loved) great diners that weren't any fancier or more well-kept than Tasty Acre.

There are maybe 15 or so tables, plastic molded chairs. There were 2-3 other parties when we got there; the waitress seated us quickly enough in a corner. The menu is okay, but only okay. You can get breakfast for lunch, but their range of lunch offerings leaves a lot to be desired -- even for a little diner. I hoped for the Reuben; my wife got the turkey sandwich.

The Reuben was quite good -- not the best I've ever had, but certainly nowhere near the worst; it was about worth the $10 it cost.

My wife's sandwich, however, was another matter: Two slices of white bread, a slice of tomato and two very thin slices of roasted turkey -- not quite as good as we can get from the Wegmans deli. But for the $10 cost of the sandwich, I'd get more than a pound of roasted turkey @ Wegmans. Of course, her sandwich did some with a little foil packet of Hellmanns mayonnaise. And the kind of plasticware that you buy for a picnic.

After a second waitress dropped off our sandwiches, our waitress didn't check in with us nor ask if we wanted drink refills. About 15 minutes after we finished eating, she eventually came by to see if we wanted the bill. Then she dropped it off (without a pen with which to sign the receipt); we waited another 5 minutes to catch her eye again.

All in all, nowhere near good enough for a $20 lunch; we'd have been better off at Wendy's.