All reviews steam room fire pit roman bath sea water room upgrade beach club ocean front saltwater pool the entire resort off season beautiful resort year round fitness center restaurant staff bedroom cottage front desk manager long weekend
Reviewed August 24, 2018

Our room was 508
We booked an "ocean view room" so you can understand our feeling of disappointment when we had a very unattractive view of the car park. The steps & walk up to our room was also unpleasant.
In the room description on booking the "Ocean view " is described as " a tiny view of the ocean"
There is a tiny sliver of the ocean - but the view is of a busy car park and front of the hotel. It is misleading and we did not appreciate it. The Hotel should not describe these cabin rooms as deluxe and certainly not suggest they have an ocean view.
It ruined our experience.
Our deluxe room lacked space - the bathroom was small with nowhere to put your stuff. The bed was uncomfortable and the pillows were awful. The wooden floors made the room feel uncomfortable, cold and not luxurious. There was no room for suitcases.
The bathroom vent allowed the cigarette smoke of the person in the next room fill our bathroom - we did not like that.
The weather was bad last week in the Hamptons - so we had just one day on the beach. It beach is lovely - but the beds had stained cushions which along with poor quality public areas in the hotel gives a feeling of a hotel in decline. The buffet breakfast is good.
Montauk town is where all the tourists are concentrated - there are lots of motels so Gurneys's is the best place to stay in the area. But it is not the nicest part of Long Island - East Hampton, Sag Harbour & Shelter Island are better options.

Room Tip: Be alert to "Ocean view rooms" with a description of a 'Partial view of the ocean" and avoid them
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Eat0n
MichaelNenner290, General Manager at Gurney's Montauk Resort & Seawater Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2018

Dear Eat0,

Thank you for staying with us and I apologize for the concerns you had with the view. Our Ocean View rooms are at the highest points on the property to allow for views and some do overlooking the property as you look out at the ocean.

If your travels bring you back to the area, please contact me and I can assure that you're in the best viewed rooms.

Thank you again for the feedback.

Regards,
Michael Nenner
Area General Manager

Reviewed August 23, 2018

In a word, nah. Here’s why:

1) booking a room for a small work retreat of only 14 people was a grueling process. Email replies from their “Area Director of Sales” were surprisingly slow and sprinkled with attitude. (Cmon, We’re trying to give you our money, lady).
We hoped to book a cabana in advance for Saturday at the beach, but they were completely unwilling to budge from the $2500 fee tied to reserving a cabana- oh and that doesn’t include drinks/food. Hard pass.

2) Rooms were pricey, averaging $800/night. One perk that we prematurely* appreciated was free pick up from the train station and delivery to the hotel. After a 3+ hour ride from Manhattan, we shuffled off the train with 100s of other weekenders, very ready to be at gurneys beach with a margarita. Then we waited. And waited. And 35 minutes later, after every single person had been picked up from the station, our driver arrived. Thankssss.

3) we were promised an ocean view room. Sounds delightful, can’t go wrong. Wrong again folks. they led us to a room that literally was at Parking lot level with a stunning view of a sea of cars. Jokes aside, we were maybe 8 steps from some dudes Maserati - but I guess you could see a patch of ocean far, far in the distance. We requested a room change, which thankfully, they granted us. Slow. Clap.

4) it’s super expensive for literally everything from a lobster roll to a margarita, but hey-it’s montauk. That’s to be expected. What shouldn’t be expected is the general bad attitude of people working in montauk as a whole. Why do these people hate us so much? If you’re going to open a hotel, show some hospitality, people.

5) aside from that, we did enjoy our stay. The beach access, bar & restaurant element is on point. In fact we spent each day at their beach and ended each night at the outdoor bar around the fire pit. Quite lovely. They also had bikes we could ride a short distance into town which we loved.

In a nutshell, there aren’t a lot of beach-chic, new, high-end hotel options in montauk. Gurneys is one of them. if you choose to book here, set your expectations properly and be ready to open that wallet.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
4  Thank Hailey P

Dear Hailey P,

Thank you for the business and I apologize about the delayed response from Sales. This is inexcusable and we appreciate your business. I'd like some more feedback if possible, so I can correct these issues. Please contact me at my email address below.

Thank you again and we hope to bring your group back again.

Regards,
Michael Nenner
Area General Manager

Reviewed August 21, 2018

Gurney’s Montauk Resort and Spa

We had a three bedroom beach cottage, a dining area, a living room with fireplace, a small kitchen and a private terrace overlooking the ocean. It was over looking the beach and beach club, which was good and bad: Good due to the closeness of the beach, Bad because we lookout over the garbage and watched them am and pm remove the trash, they also used the space below our deck as a storage area for beach equipment.
The interior of the cottage looked like it had been updated for photographs to be taken but the use of inexpensive furniture was evident: The bathrooms and the kitchen needs to be remodeled . The vertical blinds in the kitchen and dining area did not work as the pulls where missing.
Our AC unit was on its last legs and we had portable AC unit's in most of the bedrooms and living room.

We where disappointed with the breakfast buffet and the service, we waited until we where the last table in the restaurant to ask where are breakfast was to be told it was coming, to then wait further. I went to find a manager to explain that we had been waiting for 45 mins for breakfast, once it arrived we where then offered fruit and pastry's from the buffet. On a second visit to Tillie's our order was completely lost, again we had to ask where our food was! On our last day we tried one more time and again where disappointed with the service. We had dinner at Scarpetto's twice and had better experience with food and service.
The coffee shop was great, for coffees and a quick snack or pastry, this area is quite small and needs to be expanded and moved out of the lobby.

This hotel has 2 large outdoor patios that is used for weddings and functions, it creates a lot of extra traffic, noise and general chaos mostly on weekends, it can be quite the seen. There is an outdoor bar however when it is raining the partly is moved indoors, this spills over into lobby and other general areas.

There where highlights on our stay, Michelle at guest services was great, the car service they provide is very handy, the valet and bell men where very helpful and pleasant.
The rooms where clean and room service was prompt.
The beach was wonderful and in general the service we received from the staff at the Beach Club was very good, however on a daily basis it changed wither we had to add a tip or if it was already added to the check. We where told that managment could not make up their mind!
The Spa is old and dated, but I did have 2 massages one with John G and John D that where on par with any of the best Spas at any 5 Star hotel.

Overall: we had a good time at Gurney's and so did our family, we try to not sweat the small stuff but this hotel is in transition. I think that you need to make sure that you are in a remodeled room and know where you are located in the hotel, there is one elevator that goes from the lobby to the Spa, that is it if you are in any way disabled this is not a hotel for you. I would also expect a Resort to have equipment to rent Paddle, Surf or Bogie boards for kids and young adults.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Sonia M
Beata J, Resort Manager at Gurney's Montauk Resort & Seawater Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2018

Dear Sonia M,

I wanted to take this opportunity and thank you for the positive and constructive feedback you provided us with.

We have been renovating our property in stages and Cottages and a building next to them as well as the SPA are on the list to be completely redone. We are looking to have Cottages and the rest of the rooms completed this Winter and then focus on the SPA next year. I apologize for your experience at Breakfast in Tillies.

I will share your comments with all the staff and please reach out to me directly if you wish to return and stay with us in the future.

Kind Regards
Beata Jarmolinska

Reviewed August 17, 2018

Gurneys has been here many years in Montauk. The renovations and resort upgrades are great and well received. The resort amenities continue to be expanded as well as the Spa and restaurant/bar venue overlooking the Ocean. Very enjoyable!

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank kwolling8

Dear kwolling8,

Thank you so much for wonderful comments!

We hope that you enjoyed your stay and we are looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards
Beata Jarmolinska

Reviewed August 16, 2018

I am staying in a 2 bedroom oceanfront cottage. Came here to celebrate our wedding anniversary and have a relaxing family trip before our oldest heads off to college in a few weeks. First off we have to walk down 106 steps to get to our cottage from the parking lot and of course up 106 steps to get to our car and the pool etc. So picture our first day with luggage and groceries doing this and also doing this several times a day if you want to go anywhere. I myself have a back condition and at the moment plantar fasciitis in my left foot. We were told if we didn’t want to take the stairs then to walk along the beach to the resort which is far and hot and not to mention who feels like doing this when dressed up for dinner. The cottage itself has no coffee pot, microwave or toaster oven. They gave us one spoon to work with for the 5 of us. TV’s work sometimes there is more but I just going to name a few. Complained to the manager , after two hours she said she was going to move us to another cottage closer to the resort which made us very happy and then she called back an hour later to say they rented it out because they can get more money and that we’re just stuck in our situation so I would NOT recommend staying here. We are paying a lot of money you can go online and see how much a two bedroom oceanfront cottage at Gurney’s goes for. .We are absolutely miserable and they’re not willing to help us so I will not be staying here again and I will for sure spread the word. So warning don’t stay at Gurneys’ west side cottages it is really the resort they bought next door. It is false advertisement because when you stay in one of the three cottages on what they call the west side of the property you are not getting the Gurney’s experience they you are paying for. I am so angry about how much this vacation costs us and we are just miserable and you know what no one here really cares. PS I gave it 2 stars for the view.

Stayed: August 2018