“Fabulous Views”

The Parish Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #29 of 103 Restaurants in New Paltz
Price range: US$12 - US$32
Description: A restaurant for everyone with an emphasis on New Orleans style cuisine with the best view in town and a friendly upbeat vibe.
Reviewed September 22, 2017

As life-long Yankees, we have absolutely no knowledge of what real Cajun food tastes like. Now that we've gotten that out of the way, we can state that our multi-generational family had a lovely dinner and drinks at Parish. We all ordered different entrees and appetizers, and no one was disappointed. I tried the vegan (tofu) jambalaya, which would undoubtedly make a real Cajun cringe, and found the tofu, fresh green beans and broccoli stewed just right. The portion was a little too large for my liking, but it's probably an average size. Fish dishes were well received by others. For dessert, we sampled the beignets, which tasted and felt just like the beignets we tried once in New Orleans. They were piping hot and delicious.

The view from the outdoor seating area is absolutely stunning in the evening. Sometimes live bands play in the courtyard below. Our server was gracious and helpful with our youngest family member. I would definitely return in the summer or again in the fall. The indoor seating area is rather small, and I'm not sure we would attempt to eat inside with small children, mainly to avoid cruelty to other diners.

Reviewed July 18, 2017 via mobile

I love Cajun and southern cuisine, so I was excited to see the menu here filled with southern delicacies.
The waitress was rock solid, very nice and accommodating. The food however was terrible. I had the jambalaya the chicken chunks were overcooked the sauce was bland.
The fried chicken was all breading and had absolutely no flavour. The entrées came out before the appetisers. Also there were flies everywhere and food all over the chairs and floor.
Total waste of money. Shame since the waitress was so nice.

Reviewed June 21, 2017

For a couple of seasons the outside eating area has been plagued by bees, and since I'm highly allergic, I've stayed away. This year had a delicious lunch outside and NO BEES. Hopefully that will continue because eating outside here overlooking the Shawangunk (sp.?) mountain is delightful. There are tables inside if you prefer. The cuisine is Cajun. I had a really good grilled shrimp po'boy sandwich. Nice salads and entrees are available.

Reviewed June 19, 2017

We went there Sunday night, albeit it was Fathers Day and students are gone so this small place was relatively empty. The staff was friendly and our waitress helpful.
Unfortunately, the food left a lot to be desired. We ordered gumbo and crab cakes for appetizers. The gumbo was fabulous, hotter than I preferred but it was delicious anyway. The one crab cake on a bed of greens was just OK, " nothing special especially for $12.00. Our main course was an oyster po boy and a lobster roll. Both were good however, both needed more oysters and lobster. Desert was bread pudding another just ok. The strawberries on the side were delicious. Also tried their beignets which I'm sure were made in error as they were totally hard and uneatable.

Reviewed June 11, 2017

The restaurant is located on main street in New Paltz and is located in the Water Street Market. The restaurant is clean and has outdoor seating. They have a variety of beer and mixed cocktails which were all good. We started out with the wings which were very good and one order would be good for two people. The crocodile bites were excellent and again one portion is good for two people. The jambalaya was excellent. Thee service was good and the waitress was attentive and provided good service. If you are looking for good food and service I would recommend The Parish without reservation.