“Historic Property Nestled in the Mountains”

and 1 more site!
Mohonk Mountain House
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Reviewed 1 February 2012

This is a most unusual property, set on a Mountain top with a grand view of the area. We were there in the summer and there are many wonderful outdoor activities. I loved the mountain biking, and the day hiking around the property was great for all the family. It is an older property but very well maintained. The food in very good and overall the service at the hotel is excellent.

Room Tip: Try get a room with a view of the Mountain.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank MacAtlantaGa_

Reviewed 30 January 2012

I read some other reviews and beg to differ about the food. My husband and I both love the food at Mohonk. Be prepared for a feast. There is an over abundance of delicious foods. Many people I know love the food. We have travelled to Mohonk during each season. Each season has something special to offer. There are lots of activities for couples and families. The only downside of mohonk is that it is very expensive and the rooms are Victorian and old fashioned. If that is not to your liking, you will not be impressed with the sleeping accommodations. Service is excellent, staff are friendly and the food is delicious. The ambience and atmosphere of Mohonk is beautiful and should be a must see on everyone's list. We got married there in 2010 and was thrilled with our wedding as were our guests. A day pass with a meal is an affordable option but I don't think you can use the beautiful pool or take out the boats in the lake. After a couple of overnight stays we purchased a meal pass and stayed at the very pleasant super 8 motel in new paltz. New Paltz is a lovely town with restaurants and shops. The spa at mohonk is very attractive but I was not very impressed with the services. A visit to Mohonk should be on everyone's list of must sees!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ticowife
Reviewed 30 January 2012

This place is great eye candy, the grounds are stunning! The rooms could use a little updating while keeping the old and creepy feeling.
Its a regular destination for some and a curious and unexpected adventure for others.
I'd come back again, with a roommate- the nights can be a little creepy.

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank teisterschoice
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I recently attended a very enjoyable "Locavore Weekend" at Mohonk Mountain House - my first visit to this property.
It was a very enjoyable journey with most every aspect of the experience living up to my expectations.

Most notable during this trip was the overall stunning beauty of the scenery of the property's thousands of acres and adjoining nature preserve.
If this is what the utter glory of the region offers in the middle of winter, I cannot imagine how dramatic Mohonk is during the spring through fall season. Spectacular!

Without ever having been there before, I knew what to expect from the property -
Between Tripadvisor reviews and commentary via other (reputable) websites, rather than being disappointed by the slight wear and the bygone-era feel of Mohonk, I found it to be totally charming and in complete character with a place which has entranced and entertained generation after generation.
Best of all (along with the unbelievable views & scenery), the food was of a high quality. We were very satisfied with each meal, from breakfast and brunch on through dinner.

The Locavore program (featuring a variety of chefs and resource authorities from the Hudson Valley) was well produced. Each presenter gave an excellent overview to her/his craft, and the weekend flowed without getting us too bogged down with more than enough demonstrations/not enough free time.

Highlights of the weekend included the attention to housekeeping/cleanliness, both in-room and all throughout the property. The management staff we had met (Nina, Elizabeth & Samantha) truly represents the property well. All very professional and their smiles are sincere.
As stated, the fare was delicious.

Recreational activities were limitless. As it was a lovely weekend (for January), being outdoors was heavenly.

The fitness center was very clean and had a fine array of equipment.
(We didn't get to use the indoor pool or the spa, but boy were they inviting!)

There was some room for improvement, mainly, concerning front-of-house and restaurant staff. Though very polite and attentive, there were too many opportunities to refill drinks/replace silverware which had been overlooked (even when dining during slower/less populated times).
Our designated wine pourer at a tasting had not been properly trained in how to pour wine and not spill (a simple aspect that I'm sure they'll teach her); check-in and out went smoothly, however, the young man at the desk needs to put away the he-thinks-it's-hidden I-pod and pay attention to guests (knowing marketing director Nina, if she's reading this, he will soon get properly instructed on service etiquette).

All simple, easy-to-fix things...

My only qualm was in not having any sort of electronic media in the guest rooms.
Sure, having a real fireplace to light was a rare treat. What I wanted was an I-pod docking station, or, CD player as I love having music in my life.
Though I don't usually mind not having a TV, it would have been nice as I really wanted to see, but had to miss what ended up being a thrilling Australian Open tennis final.

Overall, I give my weekend, the property, the food and the staff a solid VERY GOOD.
I will absolutely return again -
And again!

Room Tip: Request a room with a view in advance and again upon check in.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Conciergeman
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Ive always wanted to stay at mohonk, ever since I heard about it as college student.

We decided to book one night with my husband and 3 children ages 11, 8, 7yo. We used a special listed on facebook to use before xmas where the kids could stay and eat free. In the end, we spent about 800 for one night. Nowadays, its quality not quantity, and were hopeful that the money would be well spent. We were hoping to have our socks knocked off.

The drive up was pretty, and check in was quick. We had a larger fireplace suite to accommodate the 5 of us. It was tastefully decorated and located on the 1st floor. Our view was ok but the valet parking was right below us so it distracted from the ambience. The ice skating rink was our favorite part and the fireplace within the rink was a nice touch. The hiking around the lake was wonderful and the kids really enjoyed it.

The food was so disappointing. Don't go there for the food... We chose to attend both the gourmet dining and the dining hall (lunch/breakfast). It tasted amateur to us. The kids ate waffles which were fine but forgettable. Lunch--the salads were ok, again, nothing that you would recall after leaving. We had ordered the sea bass, steak, pasta dishes at the gourmet dining ... the steak is probably the one I would recommend but again, nothing memorable. There was a chocolate mousse dessert that tasted good but nothing you couldnt get by going to a local olive garden. One of the waiters spilled 2 glasses of wine on a patron during our dinner which was a distraction. We found some of the patrons a tad pretentious but spent so much time outdoors we didnt have to mingle all that much.

I believe non-hotel guests may have enjoyed the ice rink and hiking. If that's true, if we do venture to mohonk again, I dont think its worth 800 to stay overnight. Our socks were not knocked off unfortunately. Make it a day trip if the hiking and skating are what you are into. They are the 2 things not to miss.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Jennifer M
Reviewed 23 January 2012

My mom took me here 11 years ago and since then my family has returned over 10 times. Sometimes it is for a girls spa weekend and other times it is a special birthday (like my 40th) with the entire family This place is unique and special. Corny and wholesome with great activities. The lake is divine for swimming and canoeing. The ice skating pavilion has hot chocolate and music and plenty of room for non-skaters to enjoy the huge stone fireplace. I find the staff outstanding. The Smiley family truly cares that there is an activity for everyone The food ranges from very good at times to just okay, depending on who is in the kitchen. But I keep coming back for more. Why? Because this place is special.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank RedBankGirl2
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We have gone to Mohonk Mountain House for the past 3 years. We always go in the winter. The first two years we went in february and enjoyed snow-showing on the many trails they have. This year we went in early January. There was very little snow but we did go for their jazz weekend. So we alternated between going to the Spa, listening to jazz, hiking the trails and eating all too well.

Other than the spa and alcohol, you don't pay for anything at Mohonk. Your room rate includes all meals, all entertainment and all out door activities. Be prepared for sticker shock and remember they add a gratuity to your bill. So no tipping except for truly extraordinary services.

We don't ice-skate, but the skating rink looks like a lot of fun. It has a huge fireplace. Again, ice skates, snow shoes, cross country skis are all available for free. The meals are wondeful. For breakfast and lunch, they have an enormous buffet. For dinner, you can pick either the buffet or a traditional dinner menu. If you pick the dinner menu route, men need to wear a jacket. I recommend this. The traditional dinner choices are wonderful and after the buffet for breakfast and lunch, we were ready for the menu. You need to make dinner reservations.

The building itself is pretty amazing. The lake lounge has some huge fireplaces that are always well stocked with a burning fire. The library room is cute (although they replaced the wood fireplaces with gas which is unfortunate). We saw the jazz in the Parlor which is a large beautiful room that frankly reminds me of a chapel. There are a ton of things to do include live entertainment, movies, billards etc.

One word of warning. During the winter, they do a lot of renovations. So it would be wise to ask about that when you make reservations. This year, they were renovated a set of rooms so there was no impact.

The big thing about Mohonk is that you really can escape. If you live near the metro NY area, it is a short drive away and once you get there, there is no reason to leave.

Room Tip: Get a room with a fire place. They give you wood, matches and a firestarted...lots of fun.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
8.0 km away
Americas Best Value Inn - New Paltz
20.1 km away
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!