“The Reviews were incorrect”

Howard Johnson Inn - Newburgh
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Newburgh
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I got to the hotel bracing myself for the worst.

The reviews were very misleading - I was pleasantly surprised.

The rooms were spacious and clean, the breakfast was full and comprehensively "Continental"

Off the beaten track and right next to Paul Teutul's OCC

Orange County Choppers (OCC) is a custom and production motorcycle manufacturer based in Orange County, New York

A bargain price - will go back!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Desmond H

Reviewed 12 August 2011

We choose a bad night (weekend) to get a room in Hazelton, PA - Friday night of Nascar weekend at the Pocono Speedway. Had to drive 140 miles to find a non-smoking room for less than $199.00.
The Comfort Inn up the street wanted $149, we drove down to the HJ where the room was $89, but the very nice desk clerk gave us $10 off as it was almost 1:30am.
The room was fine, WIFI worked in the morning, shower was hot, king-size bed was ok. We didn't eat at the breakfast bar, but they had 'make your own waffles' amongst the usual continental breakfast stuff.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2011

This hotel is bad, very bad.... I stopped to this hotel on my way to Cape May, NJ. I wanted to stay for one night only... At the beginning the owner was very kind, he said he had a lot of rooms available (it was a Monday...) When it was time to pay, I gave him a coupon that I've got from roomsaver.com, a coupon that was effective through July 31st (we were the 25th!!)... So it was good, but then he said that he didn't accept this coupon and that he had no room for me... WHAT??? Five minutes earlier there was a room for me and because I had a coupon, he didn't have one now??? When I told him the coupon and argued with him abouot this, he told me that I was STUPID!!!!! Yeah, yeah, STUPID!!!!! I don't think that when you deal with customers you have the right to treat them the way he did!! That's very unprofessional.... I'm glad I didn 't stay there and I will not recommend this hotel to anybody..... If you plan on going to Woodbury Commons, go to the American Budget Inn instead in Harriman, it's across the street from the Outlets, and there they accepted my discount coupon without arguing....

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Julie L
Reviewed 30 July 2011

This motel is old but comfortable. Lobby is being updated.
Pool was drained.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2011

There is something about expressways and malls that sucks the life and charm out of a neighborhood. In return, they give efficiency that permits businesses -- like motels -- to offer a lot of amenities for not a lot of price. If you're driving down the New York Thruway and just need a place to stay for a night or two, there are about a dozen choices of chain motels at this exit, and this one is probably as good as any other.

The room had a king bed, full bath, phone, AC, radio alarm, iron & board, coffee-maker, and a TV with about fifty channels. It was clean and well-maintained. Each room at this motel, including those on the ground floor, have sliding doors to the outside. There is no elevator, so you'll need to decide whether easy access to your room is a plus or a minus. Free amenities include parking and continental breakfast. The pool was clearly closed, and I never could get the wi-fi to work -- you may be able to succeed where I failed. Since a nearby restaurant had completely free wi-fi, I was able to do the work I needed to do with a short drive. A mall with several chain restaurants is nearby. Staff was polite and professional.

You have a choice of several motels at this exit, so, if you plan ahead, you can almost choose which amenities you want for what price. If you just need a place to crash for a night or two, this place has good value.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2011

Some people may call this "good for your money", and yes it's cheap and fairly clean. Other than that the beds are hard as a rock, the shower was luke warm at best, and the whole facility was way hotter than the outside tempature when we checked in (rooms, hallway, lobby). Also looks like a flashback to 1978.
For my money, hotels are worthless if you can't sleep and take a good shower. This place is worthless.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Manager Jay Mehta and employee Kaitlin went out of their way to assist me during my stay. There was some difficulty with the wireless internet service and they made sure I was able to get a room where the internet was available. I think we checked out 6 different rooms until we found availability. I found out the problem was corrected the following day. Entire staff was helpful and friendly.
One suggestion......I was in a room very close to the entrance into the hallway to the rooms and everytime someone went in or out.....the door would slam shut. This was difficult especially during late hours. I know that this door is a fire door ut maybe some type of hydrolic closure could be applied so door would close without slamming shut.

Room Tip: ask for what you need.Staff very helpful