“Epic Dump”

Howard Johnson Inn - Newburgh
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Newburgh
Reviewed 10 November 2011

I'm not even going to bother going into a lot of detail on this place. I went to a conference in Newburgh. The men on my team wanted to stay at the HoJo because of the price. Grudgingly I agreed. I wish I didn't.

Newburgh is a total dive to begin with. It's a run down, trashy town. All the manufacturing disappeared years ago, taking with it any money. Garbage litters the streets, shops are boarded up. Shady characters stand on street corners in small groups.

This "hotel" is no different than the town it's situated in. It's a dive. There's no such thing as service. You barely get a grunt out of reception. The halls are dingy. The rooms are dingy albeit tidy. No effort was put into comfort. The screen doors are screwed shut with drywall screws. There were bright lights outside the patio door. I slept for an hour and ran out the door.

To their credit, the lighting was overly functional. So much so it kept me up all night.

Room Tip: To pick a good room, hang up the phone and call the Hilton or Hampton right up the street.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Jay M, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Newburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Thank you for your review, I appreciate your comments. Due to your review I have evaluated our rooms and our hallways and have made all necessary changes to improve our guests stay. My hope is that if your ever traveling through our area you will give us another try.

Jay Mehta
Manager

Reviewed 17 October 2011

Maybe is what you paid for! but this hotels, is one of the worst I ever been, yes it was the last choice we had, almost everything was full in that area, and I wish I knew it, and could drive further away to anogher city.
the rooms, we had 2 rooms, were smelly, even the sheets, the bathroom broken, smelly and plain dirty, from, I believe, a long time. My did not want to take a bath!!
the water was dirty, you could actuallty see the dirt in it.
Not worth it AT ALL.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your review, I appreciate your comments. Due to your review we have made alot of changes to our hotel all linen have been upgrade, We have also made all neccessary changes to our rooms to improve our guests stay. My hope is that if your ever traveling through our area again you will give us another try.

Jay Mehta
Manager

Reviewed 23 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel for two nights while visiting some area attractions. We checked in the same day that the hurricane went through, so we were very happy that they were still able to accommodate us. Check in was okay, if not a little unprofessional, but again, given the circumstances it was acceptable. We travelled with another couple as well, and we both found the rooms to be a good size and generally clean, although showing some definite signs of age. The rooms themselves were acceptable overall, but the common areas throughout the hotel with the exception of the lobby, were quite dirty. This is unfortunate, since by cleaning up the hallways and stairwells, I could easily have given this hotel a good rating, and would have felt more comfortable during my stay. A little pride of ownership goes a long way, but after you leave the lobby, there doesn't appear to be any here.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 September 2011

I spent two nights at this hotel. First impression was it looked kinda dated and in need of renovations. Lobby area wasn't too bad but as soon as I got my room key parked and walked into the lower hallway of the guest area it went downhill. The hallway had an odor and the carpets were not very clean. Opening the door to the guest room showed just how unkept the rooms were. Sure the beds were made but the doors were dirty the bathroom was filthy, the floor was disgusting and there was mildew on the caulking on the tub surround. The floor was dirty in the corners and behind the toilet. This hotel is definitely overpriced. I would never stay here again but unfortunately it was the last hotel with vacancy near Orange County Choppers and the event I was attending there.

Room Tip: Choose a room elsewhere!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2011

This place lacks maintenance and cleanliness.
The matresses need a change, the pool's empty, the room stinks and needs renovation. On top of that, there's a woman who throws you out of the breakfast lounge at 9:30, even if you're still eating!
There are a lot of other options in the area.
I wish I'd paid a bit more and find a better place!

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I got to the hotel bracing myself for the worst.

The reviews were very misleading - I was pleasantly surprised.

The rooms were spacious and clean, the breakfast was full and comprehensively "Continental"

Off the beaten track and right next to Paul Teutul's OCC

Orange County Choppers (OCC) is a custom and production motorcycle manufacturer based in Orange County, New York

A bargain price - will go back!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Desmond H
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We choose a bad night (weekend) to get a room in Hazelton, PA - Friday night of Nascar weekend at the Pocono Speedway. Had to drive 140 miles to find a non-smoking room for less than $199.00.
The Comfort Inn up the street wanted $149, we drove down to the HJ where the room was $89, but the very nice desk clerk gave us $10 off as it was almost 1:30am.
The room was fine, WIFI worked in the morning, shower was hot, king-size bed was ok. We didn't eat at the breakfast bar, but they had 'make your own waffles' amongst the usual continental breakfast stuff.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newburgh
0.3 km away
13.2 km away
Quality Inn & Suites Fishkill
14.9 km away
Extended Stay America - Fishkill - Westage Center

Been to Howard Johnson Inn - Newburgh? Share your experiences!