“Comfortable place to stay”
Review of Swiss Cottage Inns

Swiss Cottage Inns
Ranked #27 of 51 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Family owned Motel. They make you feel welcome and appreciate your business. The pool is well maintained.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ed G

Reviewed 16 November 2011

We stayed in this hotel this summer. The hotel is really good value for your money. The old couple who run the hotel are very cordial and are very helpful. The rooms are small but clean and the beds are free of any bed bugs and cozy. They serve you free breakfast. But don't expect something elaborate. Its just cakes, donuts and coffee. There is free internet in your room. If you need you can get a microwave and a mini fridge in your room. I actually liked the hotel as we don't spend a lot of time inside the room. read more in my review on Yahoo http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/9149915/swiss_cottage_inn_at_niagara_falls.html?cat=8

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Pinkali1
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Although this is a very cheap inn, the rooms are not worth it.
The location is very good; Niagara Falls, shops, restaurants are all in the neighborhood. The rooms are completely outdated. The bathroom is old and small. The tap wasn´t functioning very good and windows which couldn´t be closed. Breakfast was very poor and was not available anymore after nine.

Room Tip: Ask if you can see your room first or if you can choose. The rooms seem to differ from very poor to...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank DimitriB
Reviewed 11 October 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel October 8-10. Check in was 1pm, checkout was 11am.

The room, sheets and bathroom were clean, though a bit dated. The room had a mini fridge, microwave, tv, phone, small desk, and two chairs. There was no alarm clock/radio, but we used our cell phones when we needed an alarm.

Bring shampoo as they only provide 2 small soaps. They provide plenty of pillows and while the bed and pillows could use some updating, we slept fine for the couple of nights we were there. The walls are thin (as they are at most older motels) but we didn't find it too bad.

Within 5 mins walking distance there is a 24 hr. Tops grocery store, Target, Dunkin' Donuts, Bob Evans, KFC, Taco Bell and La Galera (Mexican restaurant), as well as a place to buy beer, pop and snacks called Consumer's Beverages.

The continental breakfast is a couple types of mini donuts and coffee. The internet was free and relatively quick but it kind of cut in and out on Saturday night; though the place was completely booked and I saw a few people sitting outside using laptops/tablets etc.

The pool looked clean and there are also picnic tables set up nearby if you wanted to sit outside. Some units also have plastic chairs/benches outside. All the rooms are nonsmoking.

We have stayed at quite a few hotels in the Niagara Falls area as we crossborder shop at least twice a year and this is definitely a motel I would be happy to return to. The Military Rd. outlet malls are just around the corner, as are the Supermarket Liquor store, Wegmans, Olive Garden, Chilli's and Walmart Supercentre.

We paid $130 including tax total for the 2 nights. So at $65/night for a clean room with a fridge, microwave and free internet close to the outlets what more do people want?? You get what you pay for. You want the luxury of the Hilton? Then book there and pay the $150+ per night. You want a clean room for a fair price in an older motel? Then look no further.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 8. It was away from the road and we only shared a wall with room 7. The room on th...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank jezzysgurl
Reviewed 1 October 2011

After reading plenty of trip reviews, the bad ones tipped me off that this was the place. Yep, it was the bad reviews and what they did not complain about. I suggest that is a good way to sort low end possibilities.
If folks don't say dirty, or mention unwashed linen, or bedbugs but just talk about tiny, I'm sure that the place will suit my needs.
At these prices I don't expect Holiday Inn right there 4 miles from the Falls. I just want a comfortable bed and a clean place where everything works, and some welcoming hosts.
I have relatives who live in Buffalo. Niagara Falls Blvd is known for places that are not kept up well. This is not one of them.
I had all I needed.
The walls were painted recently - no wet stains, no marks, nothing.
The mattress looked fairly new - no bed bug blood spots, no marks at all, really. I take things apart and check in my bed bug inspection. Nothing was here.
Behind the bed it was as clean as in front of the bed. I get places in Vegas all the time where they only vacuum what shows and I find old socks and snack bags and balls of dust behind things. Not here.
The refrigerator worked. The microwave worked. The switch on the AC did not work so it needed to be plugged in and plugged out. It was quiet and did a good job against a very hot and humid day.
Very impressive was the free wifi. They have two accounts. If one does not work, you can log on to the other one. Both looked strong in bars. I just used the first one and it was faster than my service at home.
I smelled no low end motel smell others report. I rather expect this smell in cheap places that use cheap cleaning stuff. I was actually surprised.
Parking seemed perhaps up for grabs, but I was there on a busy weekend and had no issue.
Walls were a bit thin as they are in all these old style motels. I did not have noisy neighbors.
I sometimes heard the maids rolling by about nine or ten, but I was rolling in about 4 am so what do I expect. Afternoon naps were easy. And once I told one maid that I did not want to be disturbed and required no service, I could nap in the afternoon and no one knocked on my door.
They remembered.
I could find electric to plug in my sleep apnea machine
I could find bathroom electric plugs at a nice heighty for phone and travel steamer
I already knew there was no shampoo, so I took one with me from home.
There were soap and towels. Plenty. Including wash cloths. I cancelled housekeeping for two days and only asked for one more towel.
Water pressure was great. It was a bit hot if not diluted.
The staff was easy and friendly and I liked and trusted them. The maids were personable and helpful.
And yes, the woman at the counter speaks French.
It was beyond the season for a free shuttle to the Falls or Casino so I can't evaluate that. I don't think it would work for my casino hours.
Everything I might want was nearby. There was a Tops market. Lots of fast food and stores. I I ate at Mom's Diner a short drive down the street. Great place. I lost money at poker and needed a bank. It was a mile away. I got a rest.com coupon for pizza and wings. That was a couple miles away.
The Seneca Niagara Casino was under 4 miles. On the way my GPS took me on a major highway. On the way back it took me through the residential blocks. I could not seem to change that, but either way was short. This place was not located in any of the rather sketchy neighborhoods I saw coming back. There did not seem to be too much to worry about that way. Things were hopping along the Blvd and it just seemed like an average suburban highway.
I would say even solo spend the extra few dollars for the room I got, the one with the large bed. And I can see I don't want to be assigned room 32 unless it is the last of the last.
But when I booked, I booked the last room of its kind on booking.com. F55-S55-S35 plus tax. Friday the place was full.
In fact, that was another tip. One reviewer of another hotel said they had gone to that one because Swiss Cottage was full. It told me they were regulars there. When the fellow complained about the second choice motel, that told me that he was fine with this place.
Folks who have a good stay and were content don't have the motivation to write good reviews. And even I wondered about writing this one. Will this praise mean it is filled up before I book next trip?

and finally, they have this great triangular green sign so you can easily find it from the road because it is unique.
Oh, I never asked about breakfast at all. I suggest you drive up to Mom's, sit at the old counter, and get an old fashioned breakfast in an old fashioned place.

Room Tip: Get the rooms with the larger bed.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
8  Thank dewey089
Reviewed 26 September 2011

the room smells that is the first thing that we noticed in the inn. Smell is very important in a room.We have to buy air fresheners to be able to sleep in the room. The carpet needs to be changed, it's very worn out.And the fridge and microwave needs to be mounted so, the guests will not have to bend on their knees to warm and place food in the ref.The bed is comfortable and bathroom is passable for the weary travelers.

Room Tip: bring your linens and fresheners.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 September 2011

The service was good, especially Sil, the housekeeper. She was very professional. But the room next to us, party all night, had the TV against the wall on loud and right next to my headboard and then at around 5 am, a couple there, started insulting each other. My family and I arrived at midnight and tried to get some rest but couldn't at all. The office was closed when we called so the following morning we mentioned it to the housekeeper. We were running late to check out but Sil was ok with it.

Room Tip: Skip a room in between.
Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family