New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Howard Johnson Closest to the Falls and Casino

Howard Johnson Closest to the Falls and Casino
Ranked #33 of 52 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Georgian Bay, Ontario
“Definately Average - But Fine”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

We stayed here May 4th - 6th, 2012. I read the reviews before we left. We were there for shopping and going to the Seneca Casino so location was important to us. The front desk staff were very helpful and friendly. The breakfast lady, very sweet and willing to help with information and whatever you were requesting. Continental breakfast standard - muffins, danishes, cereal - only one small toaster though so you might have a bit of a wait for toast.

This hotel is old and is "tired", but we had no complaints. The hotel was clean, our room was clean, the bed comfortable and the pool area looked clean although we didn't use the pool when we were there. They also had a little arcade room which we thought was cool. Our room had a fridge and microwave, and was quite spacious. We had lots of towels, including face clothes and hand towels. Water pressure - everything about the room was fine. Internet worked great.

With comments regarding staying at the other hotels in the area - there isn't much to choose from if you are looking for something close to the Casino and close to the falls that is in the price range of this hotel. If we go again for the Casino and shopping we would stay here again. "Nicer" hotels are very overpriced in this tourist area and there is not a lot to choose from. We saw two other hotels that were completely closed and shut down.

You usually get what you pay for, and in this case, we got what we paid for and we have no complaints with our stay at this hotel. Its in a great location, and internet, continental breakfast and parking are included in your price.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank theromos
hojo00139, General Manager at Howard Johnson Closest to the Falls and Casino, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Thank You for your comments regarding your stay at our Howard Johnson Hotel. We do try hard to make each guest feel welcome and take pride in keeping a clean hotel. Our guestrooms are spacious and are being upgraded with new mattresses and bed spreads.
Our continental breakfast is also being upgraded. Our location makes our hotel and ideal choice for anyone visiting Niagara Falls. Helicopter and ground tours available on site.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Poway, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

My family and I stayed here last weekend. I wasn't familiar with the area so I booked a hotel close to niagra falls park. On the first night we were there, I saw a little bug crawling on the wall so I had my husband kill it. In the middle of the night I woke up to see another bug crawling on our headboard. This time when I killed it, it was full of blood! Meaning it must have just feasted on one of us! I would give the hotel one star, but it really is convenient to the falls. We walked to the park everyday and never had to pay for parking. So if you don't mind having bugs feast on you while sleeping book this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank You for your comments posted on tripadvisor. I am sorry your stay was less than satisfying. Had you expressed your concerns to the front desk we would have gladly moved you to another room. We do have an ongoing professional maintenance program in place to handle these situations. Once again, I apologize and if your travel plans include Niagara Falls
do not hesitate to call us directly for a discounted room. Sincerely; Steve

Travellers are raving about these Niagara Falls hotels

Cumberland, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

Was not the closest to the falls, old rundown. In need of a major overhaul. But like the title says nice people. Until renovations occur we suggest, no, highly recommend, staying in one of the other 8 hotels that are CLOSER to the falls. Seriously I made a mistake wasting good cash when there were so many better options

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Some other reviewers gave this hotel a very bad rap! I have stayed here a few times in years past, and my current stay (April 2012) seems to be a bit better than previous. Yes, it is older, but it is clean enough. The first floor hall carpet get a lot of traffic (breakfast room, lobby) so it is rather dirty looking, but the other floors and areas don't look bad at all.

The worst complaints I might have are that my room had only 2 face towels and no bath towels and I saw a small bit of mold in some of the wall tile joints in the shower (probably about as much as most people have at home!).

They allow pets, and seem to be one of the only hotels in the Falls park region that does. The hall way has a bit of a smell.... I think one of the other pet owners dogs found a skunk recently. My room was odor free.

Breakfast was decent, cereal, juice, coffee, danish, muffins.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank greif1
hojo00139, General Manager at Howard Johnson Closest to the Falls and Casino, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at The Howard Johnson Closest to the Falls. I am sorry you did not have adequate towels and the first floor carpet was in need of a cleaning. I have spoken to housekeeping and maintenance regarding your stay.

Recently we hired a new head housekeeper with many years experience in an effort to ensure our guests enjoy a clean, comfortable stay. Also, we have implemented as extensive in-house training program for all house keepers and maintenence employees.

The Howard Johnson Hotel Closest to the Falls has begun a renovation program with an emphasis on guest rooms and public spaces. We have all new bedding and have begun replacing mattresses and carpeting in all rooms. We added additional seating for our free continental breakfast and renovated the restrooms in our indoor heated pool area.

Our proximity to the Falls and all attractions make us an ideal destination for family as well as business travelers.

Once again thank you for your comments as they help us sevre our guests(YOU) better.
Keep them coming! The Howard Johnson Closest to the Falls encourages
your participation.

Have a GREAT Day,

Steve
GM
(716)285-5261
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

The only reason I would stay here, is because it is the closet place to get a room to
the Canadian border. So if you wish to walk over the bridge and stay on the NY side
then this might appeal to some. The reports and reviews in this site are true. This place needs a major overhaul. I would not pay more than $79 to stay here. Try the Sheraton or the Seneca Niagara Casino hotel. Far far superior than here.
If you are Canadian and on a shopping spree then book a motel closer to the outlet malls near Military trail, like the Holiday Inn or Econo Lodge. This motel is simply a tourist trap for people
who dont do their homework when booking a room.I would be very surprised if they get any repeat busines , other than senior bus loads or tournament kids teams ,or just naive travelers..
wanting to be close to the falls.Beware.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rayz
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay at The Howard Johnson Closest to The Falls in Niagara Falls, NY. I am sorry your stay was less than satisfying.

On behalf of the of the hotel and it's team I would like to apologize for your stay. We have recently hired a new head housekeeper with many years of experience. In order to ensure
our guests enjoy a clean comfortable stay, The Howard Johnson Closest to the Falls has implemented in house training sessions for all housekeepers. Although our hotel is dated
we pride ourselves on keeping our guest rooms and public areas clean and appealing.

Also our hotel has begun an extensive renovating program with an emphasis on guest rooms
and public areas. We have all new bedding in place and have begun to replace all mattresses
and carpeting in the guest rooms. We take your feedback very seriously and will use the information provided to improve our hotel and make each guest feel comfortable and welcome.
It is my sincere hope that you will consider giving us another chance.

The Howard Johnson Closest to the Falls is a mid-priced family hotel with a great location,
minutes from the majestic Niagara Falls. Our rates reflect this. We have a great loyalty program(WYNDHAM REWARDS) that our repeat guests( many Canadians) utilize for free nights stays, airline miles, rail points and great rewards such as valuable gift cards from national retailers, restaurants, car rentals and more.

Once again please accept my apologies and consider The Howard Johnson Closest to the Falls in your future travel plans.

Have a great day.
Steve
GM
(716)285-5261
Orlando, FL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

I dont know where to start. Seems this hotel has not been touched since it was built in the 70's maybe. Its totally dated with worn out everything. Room and hallway had a bad smell like when you walk in a damp and moldy basement. Cleaning is not a priority here, and you'll see why. Bugs and cobwebs abound. Consider staying somewhere else in the NY side, or better stay on the Canadian side where the real nice hotels and action are. The reason i stayed in NY was that i could not take my rental car to Canada. The only positive of this hotel is just the location, about 10 min walk to the Falls. I visited in mid October and it looked like a ghost town with nothing to do on the american side. Whoever the owners of these hotels are need to spend some money and remodel, otherwise implode this hotel and build a new one.

Room Tip: Just stay at another hotel seriously.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Axl
ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

I have found that Howard Johnson is the only hotel closest to the Falls on the American side that permits dogs. Why is it hotel owners think that just because I have a pet I want to be in a dirty hotel room? The carpeting in the room should have been cleaned a few years ago. My dog is clean and so are we, so, it was rather gross staying in that room. We only stayed one night so we tolerated it. My preference would be the Residence Inn (Mariott) which permits dogs and charges $100.00 per stay to clean the carpet. (When did cleaning the carpet of a small room cost $100.00?) I clean my carpets twice a year at home throughout the house and it costs a little more than that; but it's a whole house! Anyway, it's not frugile to stay for one night, but a few nights it's worth it cause the rooms are clean and so are the carpets. We didn't stay at the Residence Inn because it seemed like it was about 30 minutes away from the Falls activities. But that was it's only drawback. HOWARD JOHNSON'S needs to get their priorities in order. I don't mind old furniture, but I do mind dirty. Wake up already!!

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the first floor cause too much traffic going to the lobby and breakfast room
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family