“A gem of a find! A great value”

Scirocco Apartments
Ranked #29 of 80 Hotels in Fira
Reviewed 27 September 2012

My expectations were high for Scirocco since my review actually begins with my initial emailing back and forth with Anja (the wife/owner) before making my reservation. Her email responses were timely and thorough, which if you’ve done your own lodging research, you know is a rarity. She sent me the details of the room she had available for us (Room #8, with a balcony and a terrace, a small refrigerator, an electric tea kettle but no stove, tv, or microwave), photos of the room and the view from the room, and she warned me about all the stairs. What I found when arriving was a 100% accurate description!! It was such a relief to know that the photos that she sent us of our room looked exactly like what we found when we arrived. An added bonus, there was a European outlet converter in the room for us to use as well!

My mom and I spent 5 days/nights at Scirocco and absolutely loved it! The cleanliness, attentiveness and response time was a top priority for the employees and owners of the apartments. Anja and Lefteris (the husband/owner) were extremely friendly and their staff were always prepared with answers to questions, suggestions for restaurants, car rental assistance, found out what movie was showing at the open air theater, if the tour to the volcano was worth it or not, etc.

Now about the room and the stay:
Room #8 is the one with the stone terrace, directly above the pool. The positive thing is that you have a quick 10 steps down to get into the pool. The bad news is that you have 87 stairs JUST to reach the reception at the top of the hotel/stairs. There are another 85 or so steps to reach the main shopping strip and the main walking area in Fira. You must consider your physical ability when staying at Scirocco, or anywhere on the cliff with a caldera view in Fira because of the stairs and heat in the summer. It is certainly is a painful haul when you’re lugging bottled water to your room, and your loaded beach bag with food, water and reading material for the day. For those considering where to say on the island, if stairs are a problem, stay in Oia, or somewhere else with few to no stairs.

Back to the room: #8 is a large studio which means there’s two twin beds pushed together that sleeps two people, and there was a couch that is easily another twin bed to sleep a third person. The room had a terrace, which while private in the sense that we didn’t share it with another room, it is the last room before the pool, so as people were walking down to the pool, they passed your terrace along the way, which they can clearly look into. Same goes for when we walked up the stairs each day – those with terraces along the stairs were visible to those making the climb. In addition to the terrace though, we had a private balcony, so we sat out there more often than the terrace. Either way though, you can still see people all around you, even onto other hotel balconies because of the position of the balconies all along the caldera.

In the room, we had plenty of walking about space, a small vanity/kitchen counter and a kitchen table with 3 chairs. There were also two large bowls/plates, utensils, glasses and mugs for us to use, which were replaced every day. There was a large built-in cabinet/closet to hang items, and plenty of hangers as well as extra blankets and a variety of reading materials in English and German. The bathroom was small but not tiny, and it had a window that was not see-through glass (some of the rooms’ bathroom windows abut the stairs as your walking down to the pool, and people can EASILY see into a few of them; that is not the case with room #8.)

Scirocco offers a free ride (from Anja or Lefteris) to and from the airport (which we gratefully accepted upon departure); however, they do not offer this service from the port. We arrived via ferry, and Anja was quite kind to arrange a private pick up service for us, and the gentleman was waiting at the port with my name on a board as we got in at 1:30AM from another island. The only hiccup there was that Anja had quoted me one price via email weeks prior to my trip, and this gentleman asked me for another amount. I told him that wasn’t the price Anja had quoted me, and he said that I could straighten it out with Anja and not worry about paying him, which is what I did. It was a simple mix-up, but luckily I was not left on the hook for it as Anja took care of it and I paid my quoted price to Anja upon departure from the hotel. Speaking of paying upon departure, as other reviewers have noted, this is a cash only hotel.

We did not have breakfast at the hotel because it was not included in the price of the room (as others have said it was included in theirs) and that was fine by us. We would just pick up some food for the morning the evening before from the local bakery, and we were fine.

All in all, a really lovely experience with great, friendly service. I would definitely stay there again, just likely request a room nearer to reception at the top of Scirocco next time!

Room Tip: Some rooms share terraces/balconies, make sure to ask if you want as much privacy as possible. Also...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Sofoula13
There are newer reviews for Scirocco Apartments

Reviewed 18 September 2012

Have just returned home after staying at Scirocco for a week and can only say that it's been super.
We lived in unit 8 which is located just above the pool, 87 floors up to the front desk, but with an incomparable view.
The room was large and typically Greek with a double bed, a bathroom, a balcony and a terrace. In the room there was also a fridge and kettle, and it was cleaned every day.
The staff has been great, starting from the airport, where we were picked up until we went home.
The breakfast that was included in the price and may be simple (as somebody wrote), but for me it was good . Had perhaps wished that they had changed it a bit from time to time. But you have the possibility to make your own if you want to down in the room.
However, one can not have everything in this world.
Another thing to consider is that the beds are typically Greek, which means, they are pretty hard. But it´s said to be good for the back and yes, you where a little stiff in the morning. But that where just before you got up.
Laying on the cliffside, it took about 10 minutes ,walk including all stairs, to get to the center with all shops and restaurants.
Would I stay here again?
Definitely

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KattiMalmoe
Reviewed 3 September 2012

My wife and I stayed here for three nights as our first stop on a tour of Europe. We were had done a ton of research and were looking for good value more than anything. Our opinion: This place far exceeded our expectations. Even if we had paid more, it would still have been worth it.

Room tip: we were fortunate to have #16 which is very removed from everything, at the very bottom, and has a terrace. It's a front row seat to the caldera!

Pros
- Unobstructed caldera view with NOTHING between you and the cliff.
- Very clean! The staff are always working hard to keep the place clean.
- Friendly staff who gave us plenty of advice about the island and were always happy to stop their incessant cleaning to answer a couple questions.
- Ben happily carried our bags from our room to the top of the caldera, not just to the top of the hotel. (he actually did this both to and from the hotel, but the "from" part was the most impressive)
- Pickup from the airport is included, which is more handy than you'd think.

Cons
- Beds are hard (not unique to this hotel, it seems to be a Greek thing)
- 100+ steps from the bottom to the top. However, your cardiovascular system will see this as a "pro".
- Breakfast isn't a good deal. There are much better deals to be had within 10 minutes walk (Mama's House is a great example).

• Stayed: August 2012
4  Thank 154913Dave
Reviewed 1 September 2012

The Scirocco apartments are fantastic.Me and my wife were celebrating our 25th anniversary and decided to stay here after reading reviews and we certianly were not dissapointed. Anja picked us up at airport-just give her a call when your flight arrives and by the time you come out after getting your luggage she will be there, then on arrival at the apartments your luggage is taken by Eddie(as due to location vehicles can only reach so far) and he takes them to the the reception then carries them to your room. We stayed in room 16 which has 93 steps to reach but as long as you don't have any walking disability is Ok,.Just take your time and stop if need be and just enjoy the fantastic views.All rooms have a Caldera views which is amazing.The rooms are cleaned daily by her staff (special mention to Atori) and if you require clean towels they are available every day if you need them changed,sheets changed regulary. Breakfast was served every morning from 9 am to 11 am on the breakfast balcony although you could go up a little bit early and get it and if you wished take it back to your own balcony.Breakfast consisted of Yoghurt, boiled egg, bread, marmalade ,jam, cheese spread and Tea or Coffee (pot).The best part was the amazing views of the Caldera. Never took so many photo's before.It is a short distance to the centre of Fira again with a few cobbled steps(83) to reach there but everything is worth it. Santorini is such a beautiful island i was so surprised how clean the place was.You meet so many nationality's at the apartments.Visited Firofestani,Imerovigil, Perrissa, Kamri and not forgetting Oia. The views from Oia are spectacular as are the views from Firofestani and Imerovigil( the highest village on the island).We stayed at the Scirocco Apartments for a week and was sad to leave as we miss waking up to the views.As on arrival our luggage was taken back to car by Eddie then driven to Airport by one of Anja's daughters. Anja should be proud of her staff for the professionalism they deliver. If you had any problems they would go out of there way to sort it out.Would i return, DEFINITLEY. Thanks for a great time

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lindsay M
Reviewed 25 August 2012

The view from our room looked like a photo in a magazine. Magnificent. Clean. Known for having the best sunset in the world, this location will not disappoint. Affordable, helpful staff. We had a morning of brief rain, and coffee was brought to our room. Nice touch. Be prepared for stairs, those with walking difficulties should not stay here as you must climb up to all restaurants and shops. However for us, it was perfect. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank KerBro
Reviewed 22 August 2012

The Scirocco appartements are great!
Firstly we were picked up at the airport by the owner Anja. Afterwards, she gave us even a brief overview of dos and dont's.
The apartments are really well maintained and clean and very good quality for a great price.
Staff really helpful and kind.
I would not eat breakfast as the items are not fresh but except from that it's a great location.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank GraceDyese
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Usually when I travel I opt for the 'backpacker' style accomodation but my friends insisted on doing Sanorini in style, hence they booked here, as it was reasonably priced with decent reviews and a short distance to the main street of Thira.
There are only narrow cobblestone streets surrounding Scirocco, meaning you may have to carry your bags a fair distance down to the hotel. But what you are greeted with is the stereotyped, glorious view that sums up Greece and why Santorini has such a reputation. Situated right on a cliff face, it is a truly amazing view. Having said that, I'm sure there's countless hotels around the Caldera that can claim the same.
The Scirocco is more serviced apartments than a hotel, as there is no included breakfast, and our room had a full kitchen. My friends and stayed in the 'cave house' as it is called on their website http://www.scirocco-santorini.com/index.php?id=523&L=1 . It was clean, pleasant and importantly, typically greek. We had a balcony overlooking the ocean, which even I admit was far better than any backpacker's.
The only two downsides was walking up the hill to town on 35 degree celsius days, and the lack of breakfast. I can however recommend Big Mama's a short walk away (see http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g482942-d1547092-Reviews-Mama_s_House-Fira_Santorini_Cyclades.html )
I highly recommend this place. Greece is still my favourite country I've travelled to. Easily.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends