Hotels.com
eDreams
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
Priceline
All reviews cross country skiing xc ski balcony room winter stay indian lake fall weekend ceiling fan long weekend ac unit ski shop small balcony groomed trails common areas hiking trip breakfast was delicious desk staff outdoor center
Selected filters
Reviewed August 24, 2019

Garnet Hill is a beautifully restored old log lodge that has been updated and is very comfortable. The food was very good and the staff are nice and very helpful and accommodating. Garnet Hill has a lake beach and access to canoes and kayaks for its guests, as well as guided hikes on its extensive trail network. The guides are all great and know the area very well. I was there in the summer, so enjoyed swimming, hiking, and kayaking, but I may also come back in the winter for cross-country skiing.

Room tip: In the main lodge, the rooms facing the lake have balconies and beautiful views, but the rooms on the other side have air conditioning.
Date of stay: August 2019
1  Thank saturdayschild2015
Alex S, Marketing intern at Garnet Hill Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2019

Hello, thank you for leaving a review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and we hope you do decide to come and visit us in the winter as well!

Reviewed August 12, 2019

Desk staff, bar and dinning personnel were all great. Patrick was an awesome guide.
Room was small but nice and clean.
AC didn't work but was not needed
An excellent get-a-way for your and your mate. Relaxing and pleasant.
Food was good with limited menu. Bar was good and not expensive especially during happy hour. Bar was small but had good service

Room tip: King with mountain view
Date of stay: August 2019
Alex S, Marketing intern at Garnet Hill Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are so glad you had a great time and look forward to seeing all of you again!

Reviewed June 2, 2019

This review is relevant particularly to solo travelers, those with pets and also has comments about black fly season (not as bad as it sounds and believe it or not, has its advantages) and the trail network on the property. First and foremost, I loved Garnet Hill Lodge and will definitely return someday. The staff there is lovely and helpful, the food is delicious, the room was nice and the location is just beautiful. As someone traveling on my own with my dog, I was given Room 34 in the Tea House, which is one of two structures away from the main lodge that accommodates pets. The Tea House is furthest down the hill from the main lodge and feels quite separate. You can either drive up the hill to the lodge, which takes a minute, or take a five minute walk up the hill on a trail which runs adjacent to the road. On my first night at dinner, some local dining customers informed me that mid-May to mid-June is the low season in the Adirondacks because of the black flies. While this filled me with dread at first, it was really nothing some good bug spray, a light breeze and a good level of activity (i.e., not sitting around outside, which is not really possible) couldn't fix. The lodge sells a locally made natural bug spray in the shop, which works quite well if applied frequently. Also, I came to the Adirondacks to enjoy being out in nature with my dog, which by its very essence involves lots of activity. As long as you are moving, like when hiking the trails, the flies are really a non-issue. They also sell fly nets at the lodge, which you can wear over your head. But they were sold out when I was there and I managed just fine without them. I even used the spray on my dog, Daisy, and it seemed to help her as well. The bonus of being at Garnet Hill Lodge during this season is that you will not encounter many others on the trails or at the private beach on Thirteenth Lake (we had the lake to ourselves both days we went down). So if you're looking for solitude in nature and/or a wonderful place to stay without crowds (and thus, lower room rates as well), this is the time to go. Finally, I really liked the location of the Tea House in terms of accessing the trail network on the property, which is quite extensive. It is also very convenient to the private beach. There are a few different options for trails down to the beach, which take about 20-25 minutes walking at a leisurely pace. On the second day, my dog and I did a three hour hike taking the Trapper Trail past the Tailings, to Coyote Pass, to Cougar Run and back to Trapper and this was just spectacular. There were lots of babbling brooks, deep pools where Daisy could have a dip and a variety of vegetation and terrain. We thoroughly enjoyed it. I really couldn't think more highly of my time and Garnet Hill Lodge and I look forward to going back some day.

Room tip: Tea House Room 34 is ground floor. On the night when there were guests upstairs, it was quite noisy and I was glad I had my ear plugs.
Date of stay: May 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Alex S, Marketing intern at Garnet Hill Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2019

Thank you for leaving a review. We are so glad you and Daisy enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed April 13, 2019 via mobile

Service & food excellent & view beautiful ❤️❤️. We both had their bison burger, supplied locally, & it was delicious! Dessert was apple pie a la mode & was super! When there, ask them who makes their pies!

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2019

We had a business conference here and this review concerns the lodging. I had a log house balcony room which had a nice view of the Adirondacks. However, the log house appears old and the web site indicates it was built in 1937. Sound travels readily throughout the building and from my room on the second floor you could hear sounds on the first, which has the dining area and bar. Luckily, since this was off-season it appeared that we were the only guests in the hotel.. People retired to their rooms around 9:00 PM and seemed to refrain from making any noise after that and not until after 6 AM. I know several of my coworkers mentioned that they did not shower until after 6:00 am since they did not want to wake anyone. The hotel uses room keys and the door took some juggling to lock and unlock. There is free Wi-Fi, but it was not strong enough to make a Skype call as there was no Verizon cell service, although those with ATT were able to get cell service. They provide toiletries. Almost everyone mentioned how hot the rooms were and the thermostat seemed to have little effect on the heat. I turned on my ceiling fan and opened my balcony door to cool the room down.

Date of stay: April 2019