“A new favorite”

Ranked #13 of 80 Restaurants in Nyack
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 17 June 2017 via mobile

First time visit to celebrate my wife's birthday and Father's Day. Since I grew up in Europe I am always looking for traditional cuisine. Glad I found this place closer to home (yorktown heights,NY) as I hate driving to the city. Food was delicious, went specially for the sweetbreads this time (see them rarely on a menu now a days), but so many of my other classic favorites on the menu. Wine's by the glass were excellent too. Service friendly, attentive and professional. Highly recommended, will be back soon.

1  Thank pvdb1213

Reviewed 31 March 2017

Came to Alain’s on the recommendation of my dinner companion, who had taken business colleagues here twice before and raved about the food. This gem of a restaurant is incongruously located in a small strip mall. Don’t let the location fool you.

Upon arriving, owner Alain greeted us at the door with a big smile and a warm handshake as though he were welcoming friends to his home - a nice way to start our dinner. Having come here on a Wednesday night after a big snowstorm which kept many people from venturing out even the day after, the place was pretty much empty - only two other tables were occupied, and the guests at one of those two tables departed shortly after we arrived.

The waiter quickly came over to ask us what we would like to drink, returning shortly afterwards with soft, warm, delicious rolls to hold us over while we looked over our menus. I began with the French onion soup, which proved to be an excellent choice. For our entrees we ordered the coq au vin and the rabbit - both nicely done - tasty and presented well.

Dinner for two (with two entrees and two dinners - no drinks and no dessert) was very reasonably priced at around $80 with tax, but before tip. The only thing that might have been a bit better was the service. Given that there were only five guests in the restaurant sitting at two tables, the waiter could have been more attentive. He was busy doing something in the back off to the side, and we had to twice wave to get his attention for water refills and once more to ask for another order of the delicious bread - so that was a little disappointing. We still tipped nicely because we felt badly that the place was so empty due to the weather.

All-in-all, Alain’s lived up to the recommendation that brought us there. This is fine dining in a very pleasant atmosphere - delicious food, reasonably priced and with a super friendly host. We will definitely be back.

2  Thank Mike C
Reviewed 13 March 2017

I have been to a few political fundraisers there and was so impressed I went back with my wife for dinner. Excellent taste and so delicious. You can tell much attention given by chef and owner. You will love it.

Reviewed 12 January 2017

We are local but went to Alains for the first time just recently. We enjoyed it so much we went back less than two weeks later. We have had the mussels Catalan which are delicious and the broth you could drink. We have had duck, Rabbit and Lamb shank. Every morsel was a delight! The wine list has a variety of French wines which are priced right considering what they could be priced at in a restaurant. We highly recommend this place.

Reviewed 30 December 2016 via mobile

Alains is her favorite place, french onion soup, great salads and omg mussels were our appetizers. The chicken in wine sauce delish and the scallops over papperdelle , yum. Food is consistently great!