“Very Clean Room”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Plainview
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Very Clean Room”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I was in town for business and had to stay here due to a horrible experience at another hotel. The room was very clean and I slept well. The carpet looked like new. The only negative feedback is that breakfast wasn't good. The breakfast bar should include oatmeal without milk as some people have dairy allergies. The check-in person, Peter was nice.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank RebeccaN1
Brian M, Manager at Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Rebecca_Mike,
Thank you for writing a review about us on Trip Advisor. We want to make sure that your experience is positive so that you will consider our hotel your first choice when staying in the Plainview area. I apologize about your experience at breakfast. If there is any menu item or buffet item that is not prepared to accomodate your dietary needs, please ask one of our servers and I'm sure we could prepare something that will. We can certainly make oatmeal without milk or even use soy milk. I will certainly share your comments with the staff about how clean your room was and your overall experience. Thanks again for writing a review.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
NYC
Reviewed 19 April 2012

My fiance and I spent a really nice night at the Holiday Inn Plainview. The room has recently been redone and we were impressed w/ its comfort and style and cleanliness. The mattress was just right and they even give you a choice of pillows of different firmness to choose from. Although there is a space in the furniture for a small refrigerator, there wasn't one in our room (I'm sure it will come in time) but the restaurant staff very nicely offered to keep our leftovers in the kitchen walk-in. The staff couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. We decided to have a late dinner in the restaurant and were both impressed with our meals. It's not at all cheap but you do get the quality and value of a "regular" restaurant. It was not at all what one would normally expect of a "motel restaurant." As a matter of fact, it was so good that I would highly recommend it as a "destination" restaurant. My only criticism (and it's hardly that) would be for the menu to be a little less limited in its offerings. Overall, I can say w/o hesitation--and I've traveled quite a bit throughout the US and some of Europe--that the Plainview Holiday Inn is one of the nicest places I've ever stayed.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 66Polara
Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Normally Holiday Inns are the bottom of the barrel of hotels but this one was quite acceptable for the price (actually hotel points). The hotel was under construction when we visited so a lot of areas were not open. The rooms seemed to be renovated and were very clean. The carpet in the hallways seemed fairly new.

When we visited there was free breakfast which included hot and cold items. It was nice for free. Some items were good and others were not.

The shuttle was helpful. It took us to and from a wedding and also dropped us off at the train stop.

There is not a lot to do at the hotel or nearby if you don't have a car from what I could tell.

Room Tip: Might want to get a room at end of hall where people are not walking by frequently.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DiverM
Brian M, Manager at Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
To DiverM,
Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor. It looks like your overall experience was a positive one and changing the perceptions about Holiday Inn is done little by little with positive reviews such as yours. As we are coming to the end of construction, we want people to see that not all properties under the same brand are the same and there are some that exceed people's expectations. We hope that when you are in the area again, you will make our Holiday Inn your prefered destination.If I can assist you in the future, please contact me directly. Thanks again for your review.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This hotel is under serious renovations - as in, the entire hotel is completely torn up and a mess. They don't mention this on their website or when you're booking... interesting.

So putting that aside, I had problems with this property. The walls are paper-thin - I could hear when my 'neighbor' dropped something in thier bathroom. The layout is unappealing; all the rooms face out to a hallway, so your "window" is to the hall. Which means 1) everyone walking by can look into your room if the curtains are open and 2) if you're like me, and don't want to give a free show, you can say bye-bye to natural sunlight for the duration of your stay.

I visited the in-house restaurant for dinner, and it was a great time - if you consider listening to a wierd mix of Billy Joel, Lady Gaga, Van Morrison, and Rap at full blast, plus contending with a loud and obnoxious local bar crowd while you munch on overcooked $22+ a plate porkchops a great time.

The rooms themselves look nice and newly renovated, but it's far outweighed by the negatives. I'd rather get a good nights sleep and have a pleasant meal.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Ash0818
Brian M, Manager at Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Dear Ash0818,
Thank you for writting a review on trip advisor. I must apologize for issues you had during your stay. We are trying extremely hard to get the work on the lobby finished as soon as possible but as you can see from the scope of work, it's not a small renovation. We do hope that you will give us another try when the work is completed and I'm sure your stay will be something special. Please contact me directly if there is anything I can do.

Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Plainview hotels

California
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Second time since winter 2011 staying here- and there is Major renovations still going on- but worse. Very dusty, loud and a mess. Im shocked that the price was still the normal for this location. Additionally I found that some of the workers have a poor attitude ( Not the front desk, very easy to deal with) But the staff that are moving carts of items around the hotel would cut in front of us and allow door to close on us without holding them open. Just rude and inappropriatte behavior in a service industry! I also needed a second room for one night as an unexpected guest was joining me in NY and I was told a ridiculous price(higher than I paid ) and moments later was told that they were sold out all together, The manager was apologetic but ineffective. I later checked expedia and there was available rooms! This hotel is going to be nicer I hope when complete- unitl then I will not return. I took photos of the mess and dust but have chosen not to post ..for now...

Room Tip: Wait until renovation is complete
1 Thank BiotechCalifornia
Brian M, Manager at Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
To BiotechCalifornia,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the hotel. I wanted to apologize for the issues you had during your stay. I understand your frustration at the conditions of the public areas of the hotel but I must say that we are working hard to get the construction completed and keep the hotel clean at the same time. With the scope of work that is going on and the deadline we have to complete the work, we will assure you that the place will exceed your expectations.

Thank you again for your review.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 March 2012

There were a few nice things and a few annoying things so it left me with an average feeling about the hotel.

Check in
Really no problem and they let me in early. My only problem was the directions I was given from the clerk were poor. He really didn't explain well how to get to my room with the renovations going on and their uncommon number scheme. I was in room 14 which was a floor below check in.

Room
I must have had a newly renovated room. The decor was nice and the construction didn't bother me at all. The fire alarm did go off once and I had to call the front desk to see if it was real or from the construction.

Bed
It was OK I'd say. Don't know what more to say about it.

Bathroom
Again it looked nice but they didn't seem to update some of the fixtures. The toilet had a slow leak and the tub faucet sprayed when the shower was running.
No problem with hot water.

TV
This was a fail. I didn't get back to my room until late after going out with some friends and I turned on the TV to find out it wasn't the correct remote for the lodgenet so I couldn't watch anything. This will lead into my next point of the poor overnight staff.

Overnight Staff
I called the front desk to get a new remote and he told me they were fully booked and there was nothing he could do. Didn't even apologize. He could have cared less about my problem and offered nothing. This has got to be the first hotel ever that doesn't have extra remotes.
I wouldn't have been so annoyed if he didn't have such a surly attitude. I asked him to note my account and tell the manager well here it is a few days later and nothing so I'm sure it never happened.
The hotel really needs to give that guy some training in customer service.

Parking
It was free and there seemed to be enough. I parked around back by my room which was nice but did find out one of the back entry doors key card reader doesn't work.

Internet
No problem and it was free for me. Decent speed even at 530 when everyone seems to get on at the same time. (I'll add I'm a gold member so I don't know if that makes it free so check first).

Restaurant
The service and food at the restaurant was a fail. I walked in and stood there for a few minutes and saw no one. So I just sat myself. Again no one so I just served myself to the buffet. Again no one so I got my own drinks. No one ever approached me during my entire stay.
On top of the service the food was not stellar at all. It was low level buffet food.

Checkout
Again I think I ran into the overnight clerk. If not this place is filled with clerks with poor attitudes. I asked for a paper and my bill since it wasn't under my door by 6:40am. I got another surly answer that they are being delivered right now. I really felt like he also wanted to tell me I was an idiot because I should know they were being delivered.

Overall I would have thought everything was fine except for my 2 run-ins with the front desk clerk with a poor attitude. The only way i would stay here again is if the price on my regular hotel is a lot more than this Holiday Inn.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Brian M, Manager at Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
To ktscott01,
Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor. I must apologize for not being able to meet your service expectations. We are reviewing your dates of stay and researching the staff member who you mentioned in your review. We do take all reviews very seriously and I assure you, we will take action on this matter. As you could imagine, we are putting a lot into this renovation and we want our service to match our product. I also wanted to apologize for the service and product in our restaurant. With the renovations, our wait staff is only able to access the kitchen through a banquet hallway which is double the normal distance to the kitchen causing us to take multiple trips through the only accessible hallway which is usually filled with guests. I promise when the construction is over, the service will be prompt and the new menu and buffet will be a special treat for all guests. Sometimes our hallway from the lobby to the restaurant is closed off and we don’t know who is going to a meeting or coming in for breakfast so in the past few weeks we sometimes miss someone if we aren’t in the restaurant. We would love for you to come back and try us out when our renovations are complete so we can prove that this was just an isolated incident during renovations and not something that happens normally. If you need assistance with lodging, please contact me directly and I will personally assist you. Once again, thank you for your review.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Nothing causes me more concern than seeing massive renovations happening the moment I enter a hotel! I was skeptical but had no reason to be. I registered and was assured my room was at the back of the building and that I would hear no construction noise. True! The room numbering is a bit confusing but the desk clerk walked me to the hallway and directed me to the elevator that would get me closest to my room. My room was beautiful! They have obviously done a lot of renovating and the look is modern, clean, and well appointed. The WiFi was very fast and reliable. The breakfast included in my rate was a buffet that even had an option for all egg whites scrambled! No reason to not keep my eating healthy! The hotel is a short drive to the Hicksville Long Island Rail Road station where parking is a nuisance but the service so frequent you almost don’t need a timetable. The hotel is located right off the Long Island Expressway but also very close to the Northern State Parkway. The parking is free and I was able to be very close to the door even when I arrived back to my room at 1:00 in the morning!

Room Tip: If there is still lobby construction, the rooms at the back of the hotel are ideal.
1 Thank EnjoyTravelAlways
Brian M, Manager at Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
To EnjoyTravelAlways,
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. It has been a very difficult time for us with such a massive renovation taking place to make sure that the work is completed on time and that the service remains at the same high level that you would expect from the Holiday Inn Family. So far, the results have been very positive and a review like yours will reassure other guests about our wonderful property. If you are in the area again, please stop by so that I can meet with you personally. Again, thank you so much for your kind words.

Brian J. Mauro
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plainview
2.1 km away
4.1 km away
Melville Marriott Long Island
2.6 km away
Homewood Suites Long Island - Melville

Been to Holiday Inn Plainview - Long Island? Share your experiences!