“Wonderful B&B, clean, quiet and comfortable!!”

Bitter Sweet Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rhinebeck
Bitter Sweet Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 15 Rhinebeck B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Just enjoyed a lovely weekend stay at Bitter Sweet B&B. I usually am not a huge fan of B&B’s, as I find hotel’s more private and comfortable. However, Bitter Sweet has changed my mind. It was clean, accommodating, comfortable and private.

We stayed in a room with a private bath on the second floor over the kitchen. The bed and pillows were so comfortable, which was a huge plus! Our room felt very private and we could not hear any of the other guests in the morning while breakfast was being prepared below. Breakfast was also a nice treat. Wonderful coffee and a delicious vegetable frittata served with toast and bacon. Very very tasty!

Edith, who owns the Bitter Sweet, was a delight and we wished we would have had more time to sit and chat with her. In the evening before we went out for dinner, we sat in the living area and enjoyed a glass of wine. Edith was very accommodating and made us feel right at home. Later in the evening, we sat on the front porch to enjoy the lovely space.

The house and property are decorated beautifully and the price was very reasonable! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 August 2011

Though could use a little sprucing up, it's victorian charm, price and location, lovely multitude of flowers and clean rooms make up for it, The owner is so accomodating. The breakfast is delicious, the rooms clean and the bed and pillows very comfortable. This was our second stay and we'll be back!

Room Tip: Room #4 is larger than #3.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I recently stayed at the Bitter Sweet B&B while attending a workshop retreat at the Omega Institute. I highly recommend staying here over staying at Omega as it is only a ten minute drive down back roads and it is so much more comfortable! The Farmhouse is a beautiful old home filled with lovely antiques. My room was on the second floor and it was super quiet. Had it not been over 100 degrees, I definitely would have sat in the beautiful garden or explored the gorgeous acreage. Thankfully, all of the rooms have their own air conditioning units, so my stay was quite comfortable. The bed was comfy and so was the velvet chaise lounge. And the room and bathroom were very clean. Edith, the proprietor, is the loveliest of ladies. She was so helpful and kind and made me feel like I was staying at a relative's house. After a grueling hot day at Omega, all I wanted to do was take a shower and sit in my air conditioned room and have a cup of tea to relax. Edith told me to go upstairs and take my shower and that she would bring me a pot of tea and leave it outside the door on the side table. She made me my very own pot of hot water and placed it on a tray with two bags of green tea (my request, she has tons of different teas) and homemade chocolate chip cookies. They were the best cookies I've ever had! She was also extremely accommodating at breakfast time. When I asked what she was serving, she said she could make me anything. She had bowls of fresh fruit ready to go and she also made me some wheat toast. The other guests took advantage of the eggs and bacon (I'm vegetarian) and said they were delish. She also offered to make me pancakes, but I had to rush out the door. I was a little late in packing, so her lovely assistant brought my toast up to my room with another pot of tea! So thoughtful! I feel I should comment on the people who complained about the additional $40.00 charge. I believe that was probably the tax. Most B&Bs and hotels and the like will always need to add tax. Unless it states that the prices quoted include tax, one should always be prepared to add tax to the quoted price. The accommodations were reasonably priced and well worth the tax :) If you need to stay in the Rhinebeck area and enjoy the beauty and character of older homes, you really should look no further that the Bitter Sweet!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2011

My wife and I recently spent two nights at Bitter Sweet Bed and Breakfast. I can't imagine why the charming owner Edith included Bitter in the name. The whole experience was sweet, restful and fun. The house is a 1780's farmhouse on 150 acres. It was so quiet and peaceful. The breakfast was delicious, the rooms lovely and the pastoral ambiance like a Hudson River School. The only shock was actually paying the bill. We felt like we'd just gone home for the weekend. We got hugs when we left. We'll be back.
Glenn and Silvia

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2010

It doesn't happen very often that you get cheated on arrival to your destination, but at the Bitter Sweet, it seems to be on the menu. My (beautiful) girlfriend booked a room for $189 a night, and charged her card for one night. When we arrived, the proprietor, who may remind some of a Hichcock charachter (the sweet little old lady who runs up the stairs with a brandished knife), whom I informed I would be paying cash, asked me for $418. Now, my math is very weak, but I know that $189 x 2 does not equal $418. Anyway, appart from that, the location is good, the room we slept in was large (to your immediate left as you enter) but lacked privacy. What really annoyed me, is that after me and my girlfriend had a fight (my fault) and she wanted to get away from me for a little Edith would not let her stay in the living area of the B&B. Now is that a way to treat a guest?

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NelsonBenson
Reviewed 12 October 2010

The location of the hotel is very good, it is off the main roads but close enough to town. Here are the negatives. We were quoted one price on the phone, but ended up paying $40 more for no reason whatsoever. The breakfast was average at best - the only choice you had was eggs and even they were not that good. The tablecloth was so dirty and stained as if it had not been washed the entire season. The rooms were very tightly packed and there was absolutely no privacy, there was always someone outside of our room. The living room, which is normally a common area for guests at a B&B, was completely off-limits both afternoons we were there. That does not make guests feel really welcome.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rvk_80
Reviewed 8 October 2009

A last-minute misunderstanding with a more expensive competitor catapulted us unannounced into the Bitter Sweet at about 5pm with 3 tired and hungry toddlers. Edith not only opened her doors to us, she improvised some toddler beds with the materials she had on hand and put up with 3 messy babies at breakfast the next morning. If this place had been $300/night my review would probably be negative, but for the extremely reasonable rate we paid for a downstairs room, it was perfect for our needs that day.

Was it a bit fusty and cluttered, run by a woman somewhat set in her ways? Sure. But there'd been no hype and we had no expectations; for the price and location it sure beat staying in town and paying double for comparable fustiness and clutter.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family