“I was hesitant given some of the negative reviews...”

Bitter Sweet Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rhinebeck
Bitter Sweet Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 15 Rhinebeck B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 October 2011

...but I don't think we could have picked a better place. It was a quaint house with pretty decorations. It was one of the only B & B's that could accommodate 3 people in beds (I was not going to sleep in a cot). Edith was very hospitable. It did NOT smell like smoke like one of the other reviews said. The food in the morning was absolutely delicious and filling. I also enjoyed my early morning run in the neighborhood past local farms. Also, I think the location was perfect. We were close enough to Hyde Park (we went to the CIA), but the only cool town to walk around in was Rhinebeck Village, which we were super close to. If we ever go back to Hyde Park, we will surely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1, which was near the front door.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Nicole W

Reviewed 28 September 2011

I made a reservation for 1 night only for me and my boyfriend. I had emailed the owner (Edith Thomas) beforehand asking if she had an available room. She wrote back confirming that she did and so I proceeded with booking the room. We arrived late (approximately 10pm) that Friday evening. When I went back downstairs to pay the bill, she printed the receipt that reflected the cost of 2 nights ($190 x 2 nights), instead of the 1 night I had requested. When I told her that I thought the cost was incorrect, she barked “You have to stay 2 nights. This is the policy. You should know that, come on!!” It was late, there were guests sleeping upstairs, I was exhausted; I thought it was best not to argue at that moment. I decided it would be better to just pay graciously and resolve the issue with my credit card company later - big mistake for me to sign but I learned my lesson. The fact is that her 2 night minimum stay policy is not stated at all on her website and was not stated in her email confirmation to me. If I had known this, I would definitely not have booked the room. This is very misleading to customers and bad business practice.

Also, she was extremely rude to us. She used a very aggressive tone with me when I told her the bill was incorrect. She also told me that my boyfriend (who was understandably grumpy from all the driving & there didn’t say much) was an “American [...]”, which was highly inappropriate and offensive. Of everything I mentioned above, the worse offense is the deliberate omission of the 2 night minimum policy from her website and her communication with me, the customer. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS B&B.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
9  Thank alifafa
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Just enjoyed a lovely weekend stay at Bitter Sweet B&B. I usually am not a huge fan of B&B’s, as I find hotel’s more private and comfortable. However, Bitter Sweet has changed my mind. It was clean, accommodating, comfortable and private.

We stayed in a room with a private bath on the second floor over the kitchen. The bed and pillows were so comfortable, which was a huge plus! Our room felt very private and we could not hear any of the other guests in the morning while breakfast was being prepared below. Breakfast was also a nice treat. Wonderful coffee and a delicious vegetable frittata served with toast and bacon. Very very tasty!

Edith, who owns the Bitter Sweet, was a delight and we wished we would have had more time to sit and chat with her. In the evening before we went out for dinner, we sat in the living area and enjoyed a glass of wine. Edith was very accommodating and made us feel right at home. Later in the evening, we sat on the front porch to enjoy the lovely space.

The house and property are decorated beautifully and the price was very reasonable! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Though could use a little sprucing up, it's victorian charm, price and location, lovely multitude of flowers and clean rooms make up for it, The owner is so accomodating. The breakfast is delicious, the rooms clean and the bed and pillows very comfortable. This was our second stay and we'll be back!

Room Tip: Room #4 is larger than #3.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I recently stayed at the Bitter Sweet B&B while attending a workshop retreat at the Omega Institute. I highly recommend staying here over staying at Omega as it is only a ten minute drive down back roads and it is so much more comfortable! The Farmhouse is a beautiful old home filled with lovely antiques. My room was on the second floor and it was super quiet. Had it not been over 100 degrees, I definitely would have sat in the beautiful garden or explored the gorgeous acreage. Thankfully, all of the rooms have their own air conditioning units, so my stay was quite comfortable. The bed was comfy and so was the velvet chaise lounge. And the room and bathroom were very clean. Edith, the proprietor, is the loveliest of ladies. She was so helpful and kind and made me feel like I was staying at a relative's house. After a grueling hot day at Omega, all I wanted to do was take a shower and sit in my air conditioned room and have a cup of tea to relax. Edith told me to go upstairs and take my shower and that she would bring me a pot of tea and leave it outside the door on the side table. She made me my very own pot of hot water and placed it on a tray with two bags of green tea (my request, she has tons of different teas) and homemade chocolate chip cookies. They were the best cookies I've ever had! She was also extremely accommodating at breakfast time. When I asked what she was serving, she said she could make me anything. She had bowls of fresh fruit ready to go and she also made me some wheat toast. The other guests took advantage of the eggs and bacon (I'm vegetarian) and said they were delish. She also offered to make me pancakes, but I had to rush out the door. I was a little late in packing, so her lovely assistant brought my toast up to my room with another pot of tea! So thoughtful! I feel I should comment on the people who complained about the additional $40.00 charge. I believe that was probably the tax. Most B&Bs and hotels and the like will always need to add tax. Unless it states that the prices quoted include tax, one should always be prepared to add tax to the quoted price. The accommodations were reasonably priced and well worth the tax :) If you need to stay in the Rhinebeck area and enjoy the beauty and character of older homes, you really should look no further that the Bitter Sweet!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2011

My wife and I recently spent two nights at Bitter Sweet Bed and Breakfast. I can't imagine why the charming owner Edith included Bitter in the name. The whole experience was sweet, restful and fun. The house is a 1780's farmhouse on 150 acres. It was so quiet and peaceful. The breakfast was delicious, the rooms lovely and the pastoral ambiance like a Hudson River School. The only shock was actually paying the bill. We felt like we'd just gone home for the weekend. We got hugs when we left. We'll be back.
Glenn and Silvia

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2010

It doesn't happen very often that you get cheated on arrival to your destination, but at the Bitter Sweet, it seems to be on the menu. My (beautiful) girlfriend booked a room for $189 a night, and charged her card for one night. When we arrived, the proprietor, who may remind some of a Hichcock charachter (the sweet little old lady who runs up the stairs with a brandished knife), whom I informed I would be paying cash, asked me for $418. Now, my math is very weak, but I know that $189 x 2 does not equal $418. Anyway, appart from that, the location is good, the room we slept in was large (to your immediate left as you enter) but lacked privacy. What really annoyed me, is that after me and my girlfriend had a fight (my fault) and she wanted to get away from me for a little Edith would not let her stay in the living area of the B&B. Now is that a way to treat a guest?

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NelsonBenson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhinebeck
13.4 km away
1.4 km away
Old Stone Farm
Old Stone Farm
#8 of 15 in Rhinebeck

Been to Bitter Sweet Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!