All reviews with open arms omega institute a great stay upstairs room rhinebeck village home away from home edith thomas house hostess
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Proprietor is grumpy
Location is good and gardens are pretty but house is fairly rundown and cramped with Peeling wallpaper, damp smells in the air and bedclothes
We thought the belvedere the other side of town MUCH nicer
Did not sleep well needs a major overhaul

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank frequenttravelusa
Reviewed May 27, 2012

This was my third time staying in a B&B and so far the warmest experience. All of my dealings with Edith were very sweet. The house is over 200 years old and has such wonderful charm. Our room was very comfortable, especially the bed, which had great down bedding. We were made to feel so welcome and it truly felt like being at the home of a friend. The breakfasts were all delicious. Sitting on the front porch and admiring the flower garden was very pleasant. We are definitely looking forward to our next visit with Edith.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Samantha S
Reviewed October 2, 2011

...but I don't think we could have picked a better place. It was a quaint house with pretty decorations. It was one of the only B & B's that could accommodate 3 people in beds (I was not going to sleep in a cot). Edith was very hospitable. It did NOT smell like smoke like one of the other reviews said. The food in the morning was absolutely delicious and filling. I also enjoyed my early morning run in the neighborhood past local farms. Also, I think the location was perfect. We were close enough to Hyde Park (we went to the CIA), but the only cool town to walk around in was Rhinebeck Village, which we were super close to. If we ever go back to Hyde Park, we will surely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1, which was near the front door.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Nicole W
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I made a reservation for 1 night only for me and my boyfriend. I had emailed the owner (Edith Thomas) beforehand asking if she had an available room. She wrote back confirming that she did and so I proceeded with booking the room. We arrived late (approximately 10pm) that Friday evening. When I went back downstairs to pay the bill, she printed the receipt that reflected the cost of 2 nights ($190 x 2 nights), instead of the 1 night I had requested. When I told her that I thought the cost was incorrect, she barked “You have to stay 2 nights. This is the policy. You should know that, come on!!” It was late, there were guests sleeping upstairs, I was exhausted; I thought it was best not to argue at that moment. I decided it would be better to just pay graciously and resolve the issue with my credit card company later - big mistake for me to sign but I learned my lesson. The fact is that her 2 night minimum stay policy is not stated at all on her website and was not stated in her email confirmation to me. If I had known this, I would definitely not have booked the room. This is very misleading to customers and bad business practice.

Also, she was extremely rude to us. She used a very aggressive tone with me when I told her the bill was incorrect. She also told me that my boyfriend (who was understandably grumpy from all the driving & there didn’t say much) was an “American [...]”, which was highly inappropriate and offensive. Of everything I mentioned above, the worse offense is the deliberate omission of the 2 night minimum policy from her website and her communication with me, the customer. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS B&B.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Alison C
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Just enjoyed a lovely weekend stay at Bitter Sweet B&B. I usually am not a huge fan of B&B’s, as I find hotel’s more private and comfortable. However, Bitter Sweet has changed my mind. It was clean, accommodating, comfortable and private.

We stayed in a room with a private bath on the second floor over the kitchen. The bed and pillows were so comfortable, which was a huge plus! Our room felt very private and we could not hear any of the other guests in the morning while breakfast was being prepared below. Breakfast was also a nice treat. Wonderful coffee and a delicious vegetable frittata served with toast and bacon. Very very tasty!

Edith, who owns the Bitter Sweet, was a delight and we wished we would have had more time to sit and chat with her. In the evening before we went out for dinner, we sat in the living area and enjoyed a glass of wine. Edith was very accommodating and made us feel right at home. Later in the evening, we sat on the front porch to enjoy the lovely space.

The house and property are decorated beautifully and the price was very reasonable! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple