All reviews omega institute with open arms frittata like coming home upstairs room a great stay charming b b hudson valley rhinebeck village home away from home edith thomas house asparagus accommodations partaking hostess
Reviewed September 12, 2012

What can be said better than...absolute bucolic calm and quiet. If you want a place to which you return repeatedly, this is it. Miss Edith was gracious in all aspects and quite the charmer.
I initially had phoned another B&B on my trek to bring my daughter to begin her freshman year at Bard College. That proprietress(at the Red Hook Inn) had no vacancies but encouraged me to come to her place and that she could find a place for myself and my daughter...she found the Bitter Sweet had a vacancy for two nights.
I would have stayed my entire time at Miss Edith's but her rooms were full the last two nights I was there.I hope that I can stay the entire time when I return through the years as I visit the college.
Those things being stated, let me elaborate...perfect breakfasts for my daughter and myself(I a lacto-vegetarian, she a ovo-lacto-vegetarian)...a photographer's paradise both outside and inside...Miss Edith's macaw,a beautiful specimen which I've some familiarity with as a volunteer at the N.O. Audubon Aquarium...I had no clue that others were in the house as the rooms were so quiet...a house that is reminiscent of the Beauregard-Keyes House (in the French Quarters of New Orleans) with items of interest on the walls, floors and on the furniture itself, a visual stimulation that is dizzying in its richness like a museum.
Perhaps the most endearing aspect of the home is Miss Edith herself. Engage her in conversation and you will be enthralled with tales that span generations and geographies...family & friends...a joy.
Trust my words and make this a stop on your travels if you will be in the area. You will not be disappointed.

Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Proprietor is grumpy
Location is good and gardens are pretty but house is fairly rundown and cramped with Peeling wallpaper, damp smells in the air and bedclothes
We thought the belvedere the other side of town MUCH nicer
Did not sleep well needs a major overhaul

Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank frequenttravelusa
Reviewed May 27, 2012

This was my third time staying in a B&B and so far the warmest experience. All of my dealings with Edith were very sweet. The house is over 200 years old and has such wonderful charm. Our room was very comfortable, especially the bed, which had great down bedding. We were made to feel so welcome and it truly felt like being at the home of a friend. The breakfasts were all delicious. Sitting on the front porch and admiring the flower garden was very pleasant. We are definitely looking forward to our next visit with Edith.

Date of stay: May 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Samantha S
Reviewed October 2, 2011

...but I don't think we could have picked a better place. It was a quaint house with pretty decorations. It was one of the only B & B's that could accommodate 3 people in beds (I was not going to sleep in a cot). Edith was very hospitable. It did NOT smell like smoke like one of the other reviews said. The food in the morning was absolutely delicious and filling. I also enjoyed my early morning run in the neighborhood past local farms. Also, I think the location was perfect. We were close enough to Hyde Park (we went to the CIA), but the only cool town to walk around in was Rhinebeck Village, which we were super close to. If we ever go back to Hyde Park, we will surely stay here again.

Room tip: We stayed in room 1, which was near the front door.
Date of stay: September 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Nicole W
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I made a reservation for 1 night only for me and my boyfriend. I had emailed the owner (Edith Thomas) beforehand asking if she had an available room. She wrote back confirming that she did and so I proceeded with booking the room. We arrived late (approximately 10pm) that Friday evening. When I went back downstairs to pay the bill, she printed the receipt that reflected the cost of 2 nights ($190 x 2 nights), instead of the 1 night I had requested. When I told her that I thought the cost was incorrect, she barked “You have to stay 2 nights. This is the policy. You should know that, come on!!” It was late, there were guests sleeping upstairs, I was exhausted; I thought it was best not to argue at that moment. I decided it would be better to just pay graciously and resolve the issue with my credit card company later - big mistake for me to sign but I learned my lesson. The fact is that her 2 night minimum stay policy is not stated at all on her website and was not stated in her email confirmation to me. If I had known this, I would definitely not have booked the room. This is very misleading to customers and bad business practice.

Also, she was extremely rude to us. She used a very aggressive tone with me when I told her the bill was incorrect. She also told me that my boyfriend (who was understandably grumpy from all the driving & there didn’t say much) was an “American [...]”, which was highly inappropriate and offensive. Of everything I mentioned above, the worse offense is the deliberate omission of the 2 night minimum policy from her website and her communication with me, the customer. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS B&B.

Date of stay: October 2010