“Bistro is noisy but kid friendly”
Review of Terrapin

Terrapin
Reserve with OpenTable
Terrapin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 59 Restaurants in Rhinebeck
Price range: US$14 - US$36
Cuisines: European
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Livingston Street
Description: We are passionately committed to providing our guests with a delightfully unique dining experience. As a Hudson Valley dining destination, we strive to consistently provide you with the freshest, highest quality food; celebrating the robust local bounty. Whether a quiet dinner for two or large family gathering, our staff is dedicated to creating a personalized experience served in a warm, yet elegant environment. From kitchen to table, our holistic approach to the dining experience compels us to be uncompromising in the quality of our product.
Reviewed September 29, 2018 via mobile

We chose the bistro with its moderately priced menu and noisy but child friendly atmosphere. Fortunately, the grandkids were well behaved.

Kids ordered Mac n cheese and a side of broccoli. Truly excellent Mac; creamy and cheesy. Kids cleaned their plates.
My wife ordered fish sandwich-British style with French fries. She enjoyed it. Batter was crispy and fish portion was well seasoned.
My son had a pork chop over mashed sweet potatoes. Chop was medium and nice and juicy. It had a nice sear on it.
I chose a different route. I ordered crispy artichoke tapas, blistered sushito peppers tapas, and buffalo style chicken nuggets. Chicken was all white meat and well prepared. Sauce was spicy. My meal was tasty.
For dessert we ordered the flourless chocolate molten cake with ice cream and the berry cake with berry compote and ice cream. The kids wolfed them down.

I have two complaints. First, the waitress varied between responsive and slow. Took five minutes for my wife to receive her extra tartar sauce and me more than five minutes to receive my Michelob Ultra.
Second complaint is that the ceiling is filthy around the air handling grates.Looks like soot. Rather unattractive!!!
I liked the Terapin Bistro’s menu and shall return IF THEY CLEAN THE CEILING!

Reviewed September 27, 2018

We had lunch there. Very good food and service. We would go back. Steak sandwich was well-made with really good sourdough bread. Mine was bread-less and equally good. Nice people, interesting place.

Reviewed September 22, 2018 via mobile

Stopped for a dinner on my own here and it was lovely food with nice service. The fig, Brie and truffle quesadilla was tasty and the wine choice excellent - hard to get gruner vetliner at home. Loved fact you could get small portions of puddings too. Recommend

Reviewed September 16, 2018 via mobile

So I always say that the Hudson valley has ruined me from eating elsewhere. Around here, farm to table isn’t just a concept. You literally drive by farms, then, oh look! Food! From that farm we just passed. Terrapin is no exception to the good food, reasonable price oasis of upstate. But what is exceptional is the service. Our waiter had the best recommendations for food and wine, entertained our toddler, and was generally awesome. Everything we ate and drank was delicious. I wish I had got his name but all I can say was he looked like my high school English teacher. It was an amazing experience. I did not see if the bathroom had a changing table but they did have a kids menu and the staff was really accommodating of our rambunctious little guy.

Reviewed September 16, 2018 via mobile

We spent a recent Saturday in Rhinebeck and stopped at Terrapin for a light lunch. We elected to eat outside but loved the decor inside, especially the room with the large bar in it. I had a delicious rose sangria, light and refreshing, and my husband had a bloody mary that he enjoyed. We shared beef brisket and gruyere cheese nachos that were fantastic and the capresse salad was a perfect accompaniment. The service was great and prices reasonable. We would definitely return to Terrapin when we are in Rhinebeck again.