“Great Pasta”

Restaurant Fiorella
Ranked #78 of 1,467 Restaurants in Rochester
Reviewed October 19, 2016

We had dinner here last weekend. Everything we ordered was excellent! The beet salad was large and delicious. The Calamari and shrimp were prepared well. Fried crisp, but not rubbery. The shrimp were small, but a nice addition to a standard appetizer. Their Mafaldini pasta was excellent. The best pasta I have had in a long time.

The ambiance is kind of industrial, with block walls and very high ceiling. Nice bar. The only negative is the room is very noisy.
That said, I will be back, and recommend this to anyone who likes good food!!

1  Thank Fairport1Traveler

Reviewed October 12, 2016

After reading a review in a local magazine distributed monthly by the local newspaper my wife and I decided to try Restaurant Fiorella because the reviewers had high praise for the food but said the service was very poor.
Upon entering the restaurant I began to read the walls to my left. A woman behind the counter was speaking to me but i couldn't understand because the acoustics make the place "loud" or "vibrant" as described in the aforementioned review. When I got to the counter the woman pointed to menus lying there and brashly stated that there was nothing on the walls.
At that point, I told her that we had read the reviews and that the food was said to be good but wondered if the service had been improved. She then said that perhaps we should go next door to eat since we seemed prepared to dislike our experience at Fiorella. I then asked for the manager. She said she was it. I said goodbye and said that I was certain they would never have a disappointed customer and maybe soon none at all.
There are restaurants I've been to in Boston and D.C. which have rude servers as part of their business model. They seem well-positioned to try that approach.
Maybe I wasn't from the right demographic group.

1  Thank Ed K
Reviewed October 11, 2016

Okay -- I didn't want to do this. This is one of those gems you love but want to keep to yourself. But considering it's the best food in Rochester right now, why not share the love? Far from the sly tweets and "seen to be seen" theme dinners that now trumpet additions to Rochester's suddenly media-savvy food scene, Fiorella opened in the Public Market last fall without hardly a peep. To anyone once inside, the curious found a place that could be mistaken for a bright enclave of edgy culture stocked with the smell of Grandma's kitchen, candlelit tables, curated tableware, and a cool little collection of Italian wines. But in this boisterous room, happiness can be easily found at clustered tables or the teeny bar, home of the best housemade pasta I can remember: affordable minimalist's paean to honest Italian cooking is led by natural 1/2 chicken "under a brick" with seasonal veggies & marsala jus and wood fired naturally leavened pizza alongside a carnival of under $12 antipasti. For most of its short life, Fiorella has been, at its core, a spirit and an idea from the Chef-- an unassuming eccentric with great taste and a love for Italy's reinvented cooking. But inspiration arrived with the genius, and one little honest place on one very big list signals hope for Rochester's culinary future. I shared this - I hope I don't regret bringing attention to my favorite place.

Reviewed October 1, 2016 via mobile

We dined here for my birthday last week and it was the first time any of us had been. The place has a nice ambience to it and the staff were friendly. We were placed by the door which was a little drafty but wasn't really a problem for us, may be in the winter though! The food was outstanding and everyone was very pleased and pleasantly full. We had appetizers, pizza,pasta and a special between us and shared a variety of desserts and they were all amazing! Service was a little slow and we didn't receive our drinks until after we had finished our appetizers, however the ambience, friendly nature, and good all made up for this small downfall. Will definitely be back!

Reviewed September 23, 2016

Fiorella joins a collection of "foodie stops" at Rochester's Public Market. The environment is minimalist and acoustically loud, with painted block walls and indie art prints, and contemporary maple furniture. Yes, there were fresh-cut flowers on each table.
The food is thoughtfully prepared, with gourmet sandwiches and salads at lunch time and a wide variety of home-made pastas, wood fired pizzas, and a limited number of piatti secondi.
One is greeted by a blackboard, that proclaims that the food ingredients are locally sourced although sources are not identified) , and that the breads and pastas are home-made. Upon inquiry, we discovered that the breads are no longer made in the house and that there is a three dollar charge for bread and butter!... NOT an Italian practice.
The offerings were imaginative and very good, but the calamari was not fresh. The homemade gelato was rather ordinary. Craft beers were offered along with signature cocktails which were great. Wines are are only rarely regional and are offered by both the bottle and by quartino.
Service was friendly and stops were made to insure satisfaction. Outdoor seating is available when you want to soak up some atmosphere.

fiorella