“Great restaurant in a house! ”
Review of The Owl House

Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed August 31, 2016 via mobile

Although we had difficulty finding this restaurant, the food and service were superb! The restaurant is a home changed into a restaurant and the sign is at knee level so when cars are parked on the street, it's easy to miss the restaurant.

We ordered burgers and they were done to perfection. The roll was very tasty. Two of us had field greens and two of us had fresh cut potatoes. Our son has celiac and they had gluten-free bread. Another table ordered the chickpea burger and it looked very good.

I'd definitely return when I return to the area. This place is gluten free and vegan and caters to meat eaters, also!

2  Thank TereseRC
Write a reviewReviews (286)

Reviewed August 22, 2016

We tried The Owl House on a whim, and luckily they had a vacant table for us on the second floor...you should definitely make reservations, as it seems that they are very popular with the young and terminally hip population of Rochester.
There is a full bar with a good selection of beers, wines and liquors.
THE FOOD: This Chef: I am told that she is just recently returned from maternity leaven and I think that she is as good as any celebrity chef working the cable networks....she is wicked good (I used the New England phrase because my native NY euphemism would have been censored.)
Appy's consisted of Buffalo Cauliflower Wings and a special Avacado and Toasted (Roasted?) Cashew soup, served cold. Dinner was two different pasta dishes, created in-house and something I have not seen, even remotely, anywhere else in the world. We also ordered a side of the house fries, the small size, which is comparable to most place's normal size; I can't even imagine what the large looked like.
Back to the soup...There was nothing bold or pretentious about this soup; its brilliance was the delicate and subtle blending of the avocado and cashew flavors. If you drank heavily before tasting this soup, or had the hot/spicy appetizer first, you would degrade your taste buds and lose the ability to fully appreciate what went into the preparation of this wonderful soup. This was genius in a bowl.
I can't wait to go back to see what else the Chef has created.

Reviewed August 18, 2016 via mobile

Small menu with great options. Love the small bar as you walk in. The weather was perfect for dining outside tonight! The Buffalo Cauli cannot be missed! I had an amazing chickpea burger & my son had a steak. It was a win win for both of us. Great vibe, great service, great food & great price. I am never disappointed.

1  Thank HarlowGrace
Reviewed August 16, 2016

Three of had dinner at the Owl House. My wife had a hamburger and french fries which she said were above average and accompanied by a home made ketchup. My daughter had the tofu dinner which consisted of some fried tofu, peanuts on a slab of a bread. The fried tofu was crispy and quite good, the bread base less so. I had the radiatore in pesto sauce. The pasta were overcooked and almost a pasta mash. The sauce was mostly greasy and not as flavorful as I would expect a basil based pesto to be. The cost of the pasta dish far exceeded its value. Finally, the place was very noisy and it was difficult to have a conversation.

Reviewed July 28, 2016

Have been to the Owl House many times since its inception. The other night, I went with a friend and was disappointed for the first time. I had the Curry Tofu with a Polenta square....the square was a dense conglomeration and mid-warm, sauce on tofu miniscule - overall grade C-. Friend's dish was a deconstructed rattioullle....the eggplant was salty - very salty. Ordered drinks took 15minutes+. Will I go back? No

Date of visit: July 2016