“The Moe's of salads, on quaalude”

Half Moon Creative Salads
Ranked #607 of 1,443 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: American
Reviewed September 26, 2014

This is a salad place. It's not materially different from other salad places you've been to lately. You get in line, tell them what you want, either off the menu or a la carte, they make it, you slide down the line, you pay for it, you leave (or dine-in).

So, nothing special.

But these people are dead slow. It takes way too long to get a salad. Especially a salad that isn't materially better than salads you can get at many other places around.

Not worth it.

1  Thank nmhen

Reviewed May 13, 2014

My husband and I dropped in to Half Moon on a whim Saturday. The interior has been completely redone. Gone are the hideous, uncomfortable orange chairs. The tables are now butcher block with faux wood benches. It is much more inviting inside. There is a beautiful herb garden when you walk in. The up side to this place is the variety of toppings for your salads. They have scaled back the menu and added bowls, such as a Mexican bowl and vegetarian bowls. The servings are small but the food was good. The dressing served on the side was delicious. The manager was accommodating. The chicken salad was fresh and delicious. The people working there were new. I wanted soup but the manager stated they had just reopened and didn't have soup yet. Too bad they always had a great gazpacho! A bit pricey for salad but worth a return visit.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Today was my second visit to Half Moon Creative Salads, and I enjoyed my lunch very much. The serving line was a bit slow, I must admit, but that was only because there was one person who ordered about a half dozen salad bowls...bound to slow things down a bit.

Half Moon specializes in one thing and only one thing; making healthy salad bowls the way that YOU want them. They have tons of different greens, from iceberg to spinach to Romaine and more. Their toppings are almost unlimited, and you can compliment them with additional regular toppings or "premium" toppings, which include various meats, specialty cheeses, and more.

Once you order all your ingredients and they are assembled, the staff then places everything onto a huge cutting board, where they are "chopped" into a well-mixed and easy-to-eat meal that holds their dressings perfectly. Most of these salads come out to around the $8-10 range, which is great for a large and healthy lunch. I really enjoyed mine, and cleaned out my bowl down to the bottom. And. just in case you don't want to keep it all too healthy, they have a supply of chocolate chip cookies on hand to fill that sweet tooth.

I enjoyed my meal, and will return in the future.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I wish we had a place like this in our town or even close by. This was a really good place to eat. We had lunch with our children after a visit to the Strong Play Museum. They also enjoyed the food!

Reviewed December 16, 2013

I live close by so I've been going fairly regularly since they opened. At first, I felt the salads were fresh and never had a problem with the service. No so much anymore. I just went there tonight and was disappointed again. The past few times I've gone, the ingredients did not seem fresh at all. The last time I went, my salad tasted off, almost as if there was something spoiled in it. I always get the southwest salad, as that has been my favorite. I just ate a forkful of my salad and tasted something GRITTY--nothing should EVER taste gritty in a salad! Also, I made it clear to the man who took my order that I wanted no banana peppers and even asked for extra black beans instead, since they usually ask if I want a substitute ingredient anyway. Not only did I end up with banana peppers, they left out the avocado that usually comes in it and no extra black beans! I will definitely think twice before returning--I've given it a few chances and I've been disappointed. I feel like things went downhill ever since they downsized their portions and changed their menu...