“Expensive, Not Worth It”

Half Moon Creative Salads
Ranked #601 of 1,373 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: American
Reviewed February 17, 2017

Don't get me wrong, I love salads and eat them almost daily. I went in to try their salad and was flabbergasted at how dirty the place was. I tried to make small talk with the woman helping me (as I've worked in restaurants too and I know friendliness is appreciated), but she would have non of it. I got my salad and sat down amidst the dirty tables and napkins on the floor. I began to eat my salad and saw it was brown and that some of the toppings had slime on them. Done, never again...there's $13 bucks in the trash. Gross.

Reviewed November 2, 2016

This place was suggested by a couple who are both doctors and vegetarians. There are options for us meat-eaters, too. Very good, fresh, and healthy. Casual lunch place.

Reviewed August 8, 2016 via mobile

I paid $14 dollars for a little bowl of salad and a bag of chips. Honestly, the food tasted good which is why I gave this 2 stars. But for the cost of the salad, i could have gone almost anywhere else, had food just as yummy, and been full. When cashing out, I noticed the size of the bowl and knew I needed more to eat. I asked for a croissant and they wouldn't even sell me one because they don't sell them separately. Go to Root 31 instead.

1  Thank Rachel B
Reviewed May 4, 2016 via mobile

I love the concept...delicious salad with any topping you desire that is made right in front of you. The execution at this busy lunch spot is lacking, however. First, I felt really short trying to speak over the glass divider to tell the salad makers what I would like. Listening to others, I wasn't the only one with this problem. I like the idea that my ingredients aren't being breathed on by every patron but constantly repeating what I want or not knowing if I was heard is frustrating. They should either lower the glass and put a top slant on it in the direction of the staff or have a separate area to order.
Secondly, I feel that $10 is pricey for a spinach salad but that's what most of the salads run ($10-12). I'm not one to pay extra for novelty for everyday items so I'll probably pick up a salad at Wegmans next time. I can always eat in their cafe area (which is bigger than the seating in Half Moon) and grab a coffee too.

1  Thank Honeybunny03
Reviewed November 25, 2015

Maybe it just feels pricey because getting a tossed salad with a food counter atmosphere. Walking in they have a small garden of a few herbs growing though I do not know if they are used by the restaurant or not.

You can go with salads from the menu or build your own. I went with the $8 build your own. You start with your choice of salad base which can be Romaine, iceberg, quinoa or spinach. I went with the field spring mix.

Next you can choose your toppings of which there are around 25 at this price level including edamame, tortilla chips, mushrooms, dried cranberries, apples, chick peas, etc. I went with about 18 of them.

For $2 more, you can also have strawberries, house baked chicken, bacon and about 10 more.

They have about 18 dressings. I went with poppy seed with a touch of raspberry, olive oil and red wine vinegar. I had the dice it all up which helps it fit in the bowl better. It tasted very good and I would go here again though I wish the bowls were bigger.

They also do tapa sandwiches.