“The Chef Makes It Work!”

Amore Italian Restaurant & Wine Bar
Ranked #105 of 1,468 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 3, 2017

We lived two blocks away from the East Avenue Wegmans and Amore when both opened about five years ago. We were excited about trying Amore, but it was booked solid the first few months and then we started to get reports that the food was terrible and our interest wained.

Now we come to early 2017 and I’m told that Chef Pasquale Sorrentino had been asked to run the restaurant. The chef is from Italy where he learned his skills and this was enough to entice us into a visit. It turned out to be a good decision.

We arrived about 5:30 pm with a friend and the chef met us at the desk. We were seated promptly at a comfortable four-top and our young but skilled server got right to work. We each had a different wine and found them reasonably good. My wife and I shared a Romana salad and a spaghetti that I enjoyed but my wife rated as a little too spicy for her taste. Our friend had octopus which he said was excellent. Our total bill came to $68.00 and with tax and tip came to a little under $100. Three glasses of wine, however, amounted to about 40% of the base tab.

By the time we left about 7:00, the place was full. It must be said that part of eating at a Wegmans restaurant is the show. Most seats have a view of the open kitchen and it was an amazing production well orchestrated.

As other’s have reported, parking at this location is always a challenge at the end of the workday. If you’re not watching the kitchen, your view outside reminds you you’re at a major food market.

Overall, the best thing about the restaurant is the staff—all friendly and efficient.

1  Thank ChipD58

Reviewed April 16, 2017

We have visited Amore numerous times and have always had a fabulous meal. The pizza is straight off the boat and the arancini is easily the best in Rochester. Very accommodating for very little people too.

Reviewed April 12, 2017

We had a gift card that needed to be used and I needed groceries. Amore is a casual Italian restaurant adjacent to Wegmans grocery store on East Avenue in Rochester, NY. We were able to enjoy a nice meal (moderately priced) and still get our grocery shopping done within the same proximity.

Reviewed April 3, 2017

This restaurant, which is surprisingly good, has several things that just don’t scream, “You must eat here.” It is in a strange location. It is attached to a major supermarket and that just says food court. It also does not have a full liquor license. They have wine and beer but not liquor. There is church across the street that did not want to play nice with its neighbor. On the other hand, the service is friendly and professional, the flavors are outstanding, the price is ok and when you are done with dinner, you can go shopping for groceries. The atmosphere is surprisingly enticing.

We split three items for dinner and there was plenty. We started with the fried calamari. It came out instantly suggesting that they follow the 30/30 rule. Putting aside the priggish controversy over the virtue of “fried” calamari, the 30/30 rule is that squid must be cooked for either 30 seconds or 30 minutes to keep it from becoming a tasteless rubber band. The squid was perfect. The Romana salad was a cool transition from the appetizer to the main course. For the entrée, we select a pasta with a braised meatball and sausage sauce. You say, “A braised meat ball, all meat balls are braised!?” I don’t make this stuff us, this is how it was described and it was very good.

Try it, you’ll like.

Reviewed March 1, 2017

To be honest, and I'm sorry about this Wegmans, because I do love you - but I'm sorry to rate you as "average".
It's never been on my list of places I have really, really wanted to try in Rochester. Not for really any reason other than there are SO MANY places I want to try. We have friends that wanted to get together for dinner, and they suggested Amore. I thought "why not?" I love Wegmans, why wouldn't I love Amore?

I don't go to the East Avenue location of Wegmans very often at all (my exception was a few stops this summer when they had the Nitro Brew available at their coffee bar and it was the ONLY Wegmans location it was available). It's attached to the store itself, which I didn't realize. But when you walk in, the ambiance is cozy, romantic, and very comfortable. When you enter, you go through the bar area that has the most comfy looking red stools. Plus there is a coat check. I really find it tacky when you are at a nice restaurant and you have to hang your coat on the back of your chair, and the whole meal it's dragging on the floor behind you. I give extra points for the (free) coat check.

I have read other reviews that mentioned service was an issue - for us, service was NOT an issue at all. The staff was overly attentive (not in a bad way) - I think they were slow that night and just had time to check in with us often, which I appreciated.

One of the members of our party requires a Gluten Free diet, and the waitress was very in tune with the menu and was able to tell him about his options. I was impressed, when they brought us bread, they brought him a plate of gluten-free crackers with the same butters and dips. That was a nice touch.

I really, really wanted to try the wood fired pizza. But, to be honest, I don't love the (regular) pizza in the stores (one of the only things I don't love at Wegmans), and they had so many fancy concoctions, I thought I should give something a try.

I started off with a glass of Moscato. Pretty basic, but good :) It was hard to get past seeing "Wegmans" imprinted on things (such as the wine glass). My husband and I shared the "Piatto di salumi e formaggi" to start (Salami and Cheese plate). It's my regret that I didn't take any photos, because they had really nice presentation, but it's also one of those places I felt awkward taking photos. If you look at my reviews there are almost always photos. It seemed a little too fancy of a place for me to snap pictures, and I'm not sure that the couple we were with would have appreciated it. The salami and cheese plate was good. It as actually presented on a huge wooden board - with "Wegmans" burned into it of course.

There were a whole bunch of fancy specials that were being offered. But they were just too fancy and complicated for the mood I was in I suppose. After a lot of going back and forth debating the wood fired pizza, I went with "Casarecce alle vongole e rapini" (Sauteed Clams with Broccoli Rabe in a white wine garlic sauce over pasta.) It was very good, but I felt unfulfilled afterwards. Not sure why. Probably because it's not really what I wanted.

Fast forward to dessert. I rarely pass up dessert. If there is one thing that I know that Wegmans knows, it's dessert! They had a Panna Cotta with fresh berries. It was served in a small mason jar and it was absolutely wonderful. It was undoubtedly the best part of the meal for me.

It may not be very fair that I think this way, but one glass of wine, one shared appetizer, two dinners, and one dessert totaled $95 for my husband and I. I'm not cheap by any means, but it's Wegmans. It's a grocery store. Maybe if it wasn't attached to the grocery store with a doorway that took you inside to go grocery shopping after, I would have felt different. Oddly, it did not have it's own restrooms. We had to go to restrooms that were shared by people shopping for their groceries in the store. THIS really bothered me. I found it really hard to give Amore the credit it should probably have because it's attached to the grocery store.

My experience was good, but I think I would be more inclined to give more stars if it stood alone and apart from the grocery store itself.

1  Thank Mary N