“Best vegan spot in ROC”
Review of The Red Fern

The Red Fern
Ranked #28 of 1,471 Restaurants in Rochester
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I am a vegetarian but love trying new vegan dishes. I was referred to the Red Fern by a coworker who follows a strict gluten free and vegan diet. My boyfriend and I came here for dinner and left with full bellies and smiles on our faces. My boyfriend had the Fern’s twist on a “garbage plate”. It was AMAZING— so much flavor and a large portion so he could share with me. I had the GF/vegan Mac and Cheese which was delicious. I also had a vegan grilled cheese with tofu which was perfectly cooked and tasted just like the grilled cheese my mom would make me as a kid after school. I have told all my veg/vegan friends to come here. I will be back soon for more!

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed November 12, 2018

I am not into vegan food but I went here with a friend to be sociable. The menu provided a nice selection. The server was very helpful in helping me pick out something that was not too vegan that I would like. It seemed a bit pricey but probably not for the area. I am sure a truly vegan eater would absolutely love the place.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed October 31, 2018

I have recently visited the Red Fern twice and I enjoyed the Compost Plate so much that I had it both times though with different proteins (the Italian sausage and the Buffalo Seitan). The Compost Plate is a healthy and flavorful riff on a "Garbage Plate" with macaroni salad, hot meat sauce, mashed sweet potatoes and focaccia Of course both the meat sauce and the Italian sausage are fully vegan but the flavors and textures were all great even for me as an omnivore. It was fun for me to see how good a vegan meal could be when done right. Gluten free options are readily available as well as some soy-free and nut-free options and others as well. They offer beer, wine and other beverages including kombucha both in bottles and on tap. The service was good and we also enjoyed the pickled vegetables appetizer.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed October 19, 2018 via mobile

Large menu, medium sized space, recommend reservations on a weekend but we had no problem getting seated mid week without. Vegan comfort food, very friendly staff, I loved the Buddha Bowl and the Ginger cookies and Raspberry Bars. I don’t usually purchase logo merchandise but the hat has such a cute red fern patch that I had to have it.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed September 24, 2018 via mobile

I’m a vegetarian and not a vegan, and I think anyone can enjoy a delicious meal at this place. I had barbecue jalapeño tofu with corn bread, beans, and cole slaw. Who needs a barbecue joint? You won’t after eating here.

Date of visit: August 2018