“Busy Restaurant but a bit disappointed”

Black & Blue Steak & Crab
Ranked #11 of 1,320 Restaurants in Rochester
Price range: US$15 - US$100
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 September 2017

Found this restaurant in trip advisor and went in with high expectation. We were there at around 8pm in a Wednesday without any booking. We waited for 10 mins before we get the table which was OK. I went to the bar and order something that was not on the menu. The bartender was willing to help and made it for me which is very nice of her. The drink came out to be quite good. As we expected the portion to be big, we order one salad to share between the two of us and each of us order our own steak. Our server Natalie and her assistant Rachel were excellent servers with professional service. I would like to try something new (which I used to have New York Strip), Natalie recommended a Kansas bone-in style strip loin. The salad was very tasty and fresh. For the steak, my friend ordered New York strip and it was cook very well. However, my bone-in strip was a bit overcook. The sizzling plate made the overcook steak even tougher. After the first couple bites, one side of my steak became very cooked and tough. Natalie was nice to offer to change it for me. I figured it will take another 20 mins for the new steak and therefore I turned down her offer. We had fries for side which is not great as well. The sauce that come with the fries was good but the fries itself are not good. Overall, the ambience and the services make this restaurant a good one but I was a bit disappointed with the overcooked steak.

Kiley M, Guest Relations Manager at Black & Blue Steak & Crab, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2017

Emily, my name is Kiley and I am the Guest Relations Manager for our restaurant group. I want to sincerely apologize for the experience you had at our restaurant. Improperly cooked steak is certainly not the standard you should expect from us. Would you mind sending us an email with your reservation name, date and time so we can look further into the issues? It sounds as if we dropped the ball and we would like the opportunity to make up for our mistakes. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for reaching out to us.

Reviewed 31 August 2017

I call this review "clearly uneven" because there are so very many positive reviews, but I have had nothing but bad experiences dining there. While the service and ambiance were great, both times I visited was with a party of six people. We all ordered different items. Only one of us, on one visit, felt that their food was well-prepared or tasty. The rest of us greatly regretted spending that kind of cash. In my opinion, not worth the risk: there are so many other great Rochester restaurants that have consistency in their food.

Kiley M, Guest Relations Manager at Black & Blue Steak & Crab, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2017

Thank you very much for your review. I'd like to apologize on behalf of the entire team for the issues you experienced during your last visit. This is certainly not our standard and not what you should expect from us. If you're open to it, please send me an email at your convince with your reservation information so we can look into the issues further and attempt to recover your experience. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

Looking for excellent steak decided to go local even with many poor reviews, big mistake. Ordered a ribeye and server recommended none in variety, they delivered the most miserable looking chunk of at least 50% bone. Flavorless and impossible to remove from bone, my wife's filet was flavorless and very dry, mashed potatoes were cold and mushrooms were overly seasoned! I so regret not asking for a manager but just wanted to get away from bad experience. A $100 mistake! Stay away you can do much better elsewhere!

Kiley M, Guest Relations Manager at Black & Blue Steak & Crab, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2017

Paul, thank you very much for your review. We are so sorry to hear about your poor experience in our restaurant. This is certainly not what you should expect from us. I am embarrassed to hear of this experience and I want to assure you that we will be taking the appropriate corrective action immediately. If you don't mind, please send us an email so we can speak with your further about what we can do for you. We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you again.

Reviewed 17 August 2017

We went to Black & Blue on a weeknight, with reservations. I hadn't been in a while and had read up on the reviews before I went. There was a mix of good and bad; therefore after going I really felt the need to give my take to help others weigh out their options.

First, I was early so I headed to the bar for a drink while I waited. I was greeted quickly by the bartender and received a drink fast. Wonderful. My friend arrived shortly thereafter and one of the hostesses came to us at the bar to walk us to our table, nice.

Second, we noticed that yes, the tables are quite close together which can probably be tricky for those that aren't steady on their feet or handicapped. Making it to the bathroom is like a maze.

Third, however, here is what makes it all worth it. The steak. Both of our steaks were cooked perfectly, absolutely perfectly. Plus, their house rub was so tasty it really didn't need an extra sauce though thank the heavens this was one thing that was included in the price. I had the gorgonzola cream. Yum. Sides are all extra and a bit costly for what you get. We shared the creamed kale and the sweet potato dumplings. The creamed kale was ok though a bit soupy, the cream could have been a little thicker. The sweet potato dumplings were basically triangles of sweet potatoes with a very heavy maple syrup flavor. I don't think I'd get either again. Dessert, the banana trifle was out of this world. It was like a banana crème brulee and it is a perfect portion, not too small and not too big but can be shared by two. Overall, highly recommend a steak and the banana trifle.

The service was attentive, friendly and helpful. Oddly, they assign two servers, or one server plus an assistant per table which seemed a bit excessive. The second one basically filled water and cutlery and when asked to turn in our bill she stumbled a bit when all she had to do was give it to the main server. Perhaps the reason the pricing is so high is to help pay for the extra staff.

All in all an excellent dinner and yes I will go back; however I won't be back as often as I'd like as the cost is a bit higher than necessary. I think if they cut some of the tables down to make traffic easier and let some of the secondary staff go it would make for an overall better dining experience, plus that could lower the cost to the customers.

Kiley M, Guest Relations Manager at Black & Blue Steak & Crab, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and share with us your experience. I want to sincerely apologize for the issues mentioned. It looks like we dropped the ball on a couple points of service and execution. I want to assure you that we will be sharing your review with the kitchen team to make the appropriate adjustments, immediately. Please send us an email at your convenience so we can discuss further. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 13 August 2017

Put this on your list of places not to miss in Pittaford. It is a very nice find in a lovely town. The restaurant is very tastefully decorated, not overly loud and is perfect for family get togethers as well as special occasions . We were extremely pleased with our selections of steak and several seafood selections and with our drinks.
Jeremy was very pleasant and attentive and helped make this a special evening.We do wish this restaurant was closer ton our home state!
Parking is easy since they are located in a mall like setting BUT they are not the typical mall restaurant .

Kiley M, Guest Relations Manager at Black & Blue Steak & Crab, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review and share with us your experience. We truly appreciate it!