“Was hoping for better”

Price range: US$15 - US$100
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 6, 2017

We have been to the B&B a number of times for special celebrations, and it always has been good. My favorite dish has been the 2lb. Alaskan King Crab. Our visit on 09/03/2017 was a real disappointment. The crab, which I request to be removed from the shell, is a $75 charge. In the past, it was delicious. On this visit, there was cartilage in every large bite of crab. The others in our party seemed happy with their meals, so this represents my opinion. Our server was excellent with just enough attentiveness.

Kiley M, Guest Relations Manager at Black & Blue Steak & Crab, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2017

Thank you very much for your review. We are so sorry to hear about your poor experience in our restaurant. This is certainly not what you should expect from us. I want to assure you that we will be sharing your notes with the kitchen team to make the appropriate adjustments, immediately. If you don't mind, please send us an email so we can speak with your further about what we can do for you. We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you again.

Reviewed September 6, 2017

Had a really nice meal here with friends. We had to book in advance as it is a busy place. The service was great, very attentive. The menu was excellent, I had the fillet steak and mash potatoes! and a red Malbec from Argentina. Well recommended.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are so pleased to hear about your positive experience and look forward to sharing it with the entire b&b team. Thank you again!

Reviewed September 2, 2017

Found this restaurant in trip advisor and went in with high expectation. We were there at around 8pm in a Wednesday without any booking. We waited for 10 mins before we get the table which was OK. I went to the bar and order something that was not on the menu. The bartender was willing to help and made it for me which is very nice of her. The drink came out to be quite good. As we expected the portion to be big, we order one salad to share between the two of us and each of us order our own steak. Our server Natalie and her assistant Rachel were excellent servers with professional service. I would like to try something new (which I used to have New York Strip), Natalie recommended a Kansas bone-in style strip loin. The salad was very tasty and fresh. For the steak, my friend ordered New York strip and it was cook very well. However, my bone-in strip was a bit overcook. The sizzling plate made the overcook steak even tougher. After the first couple bites, one side of my steak became very cooked and tough. Natalie was nice to offer to change it for me. I figured it will take another 20 mins for the new steak and therefore I turned down her offer. We had fries for side which is not great as well. The sauce that come with the fries was good but the fries itself are not good. Overall, the ambience and the services make this restaurant a good one but I was a bit disappointed with the overcooked steak.

Kiley M, Guest Relations Manager at Black & Blue Steak & Crab, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2017

Emily, my name is Kiley and I am the Guest Relations Manager for our restaurant group. I want to sincerely apologize for the experience you had at our restaurant. Improperly cooked steak is certainly not the standard you should expect from us. Would you mind sending us an email with your reservation name, date and time so we can look further into the issues? It sounds as if we dropped the ball and we would like the opportunity to make up for our mistakes. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for reaching out to us.

Reviewed August 31, 2017

I call this review "clearly uneven" because there are so very many positive reviews, but I have had nothing but bad experiences dining there. While the service and ambiance were great, both times I visited was with a party of six people. We all ordered different items. Only one of us, on one visit, felt that their food was well-prepared or tasty. The rest of us greatly regretted spending that kind of cash. In my opinion, not worth the risk: there are so many other great Rochester restaurants that have consistency in their food.

Kiley M, Guest Relations Manager at Black & Blue Steak & Crab, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2017

Thank you very much for your review. I'd like to apologize on behalf of the entire team for the issues you experienced during your last visit. This is certainly not our standard and not what you should expect from us. If you're open to it, please send me an email at your convince with your reservation information so we can look into the issues further and attempt to recover your experience. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed August 25, 2017 via mobile

Looking for excellent steak decided to go local even with many poor reviews, big mistake. Ordered a ribeye and server recommended none in variety, they delivered the most miserable looking chunk of at least 50% bone. Flavorless and impossible to remove from bone, my wife's filet was flavorless and very dry, mashed potatoes were cold and mushrooms were overly seasoned! I so regret not asking for a manager but just wanted to get away from bad experience. A $100 mistake! Stay away you can do much better elsewhere!

Kiley M, Guest Relations Manager at Black & Blue Steak & Crab, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2017

Paul, thank you very much for your review. We are so sorry to hear about your poor experience in our restaurant. This is certainly not what you should expect from us. I am embarrassed to hear of this experience and I want to assure you that we will be taking the appropriate corrective action immediately. If you don't mind, please send us an email so we can speak with your further about what we can do for you. We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you again.