See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I was looking for a place in the area where we could bring our dog, as we were visiting friends nearby. Most places I called were booked, and I finally came upon the Rockland House. Clearly the reviews here are not great, and the very low price of the room alarmed me a bit. So I called and spoke to Tom, the owner, who was very pleasant. I felt bad doing it, but I referenced the bad reviews and asked him if he could guarantee that the rooms were clean and free of bugs, etc. He said they are, and that he keeps the price low because there is a bar on premises, and they don't want people to drive drunk from there. And apparently camp counselors and fishermen stay there, as well. Fair enough.

Upon arrival, the place looked decent from the outside, on a well-kept piece of property. Right next door is the Roscoe Brewing Co., which gives tastings and sells growlers of their nice beers.

Anyway, it was no surprise that the room was nothing fancy, by any means. It was, however, clean as promised, and not that bad at all. The tattered carpet remnant that served as a doormat was a misguided attempt at dressing up the place. I said to my husband that a few cheap welcome mats would go a long way as far as sprucing up the appearance a bit. There was an old (not flat) TV that worked perfectly fine. We were satisfied with the setup.

There is also a little coffee room with a microwave, toaster oven and a little table and chairs. That was a nice touch. In addition, the property has a couple of picnic tables.

We woke up early Saturday and headed out. We were going to bring our dog, but then there was an issue with bringing her around my friends' animals, so my husband dropped her off for a little while back at the room. After he left, he asked me to call the motel and let them know not to send housekeeping to our room, because God forbid the dog would bite them or something. I called around 9, and it rang and rang and then went to a fax machine. I called back shortly thereafter and got a voicemail, so I left a message about it.

Later at the bar, after racking up a hefty tab having dinner there (not that it was expensive in general) I recognized the owner from an online photo and started to introduce myself. He immediately expressed annoyance with my having called in the morning, saying that he'd been up until 5 a.m. the night before and that I should've left a note on the door. I told him apologetically that I didn't think of it until after we'd left.

But the more I thought about it, I was truly taken aback by his attitude. I had called a place of business well within business hours, after 9 a.m. If he tends to keep very late nights, perhaps he should have someone else to answer phones at his motel. We not only stayed two nights but also spent money eating and drinking there. To be admonished for having awakened him at an hour when most people are awake was ridiculous. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't I the one paying to be provided a service?

It was a shame, because my experience there was generally good, but that interaction really left me with a negative impression.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank rubyrenga
Reviewed March 30, 2014

It was the only motel open this time of year. The man that checked us in was very nice. The other rooms were being used by contractors. The walls were so thin we could hear them coming back late at night from the bar with whatever women they picked up. And we could hear EVERYTHING. Luckily for us, and unluckily for the poor women, it didn't last more than a minute and a half. If you need a motel and there are not any others open, go to Liberty.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Stacey P
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Stayed her last Saturday with the wife. $55 gets you a king size bed. Place was fine, seemed clean. We didn't use the shower so can't comment on it. It had running water and heat so for $55 in Roscoe NY what more could I ask for? There's a bar/restaurant in the front of the establishment in a separate building. Service was fine.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Had reserved a room for 2 nights....rude guest...but that wasn't the hotels fault...but the nasty rooms were....pressed wood placed across 2 boards served as the closet....dug around and found the knob to the thermostat up there...bed was clean....bathroom cabints we horriable...when we returned the next day after sight seeing...three guys were "camped" on the grass in front of our door...their stuff was piled in front of our door..had to tell them to move their stuff so I could get in...went to the manager and asked why they were in the grass at 8' from out door...drinking at 5:30 in the afternoon and already loud...was told this was something they do every year so he saw nothing wrong in it....well I did...argued with him for sometime about leaving and getting a refund...we finally setteled on splitting the cost...if truth be known...if he had refused...we would have just left anyway...it was that bad...I could not stay there another night...we had gotten there late the night before and had no choice...but after what we saw and what went on, my wife sure wasn't takeing a shower with them looking in the window...because the blinds did not even extend to the bottom...had to put blankets and towels in the window to keep some kind of privacy...and that is no lie...room was horriable...their listing said they remodeled....don't know what it was...we didn't see it....do not stay there!!!!! If you look at some of my reviews...you will see only one other time that I ever rated anybody this bad....and if I could use less that 1 I would!!!!

Room Tip: Chooser a room in another motel/hotel
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank DeerArcher
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Old, needs to be totally overhauled - room had walls that are torn, doors off the track, dirty towels - gross. Restaurant was fair (at best)... not healthy, and over priced.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple