See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 7, 2015

We stayed here July4-5th of 2015. we stayed in room #1. They are a motel/restaurant. We got a basic room. It came with a frig and we were right next store,to make coffee and tea. The room was very clean, the beds were very comfortable. The staff is so friendly and kind.
We met the owners at the bar that night. The owners are family orientated, sweet and a lot of fun. They thanked us for our stay. We left the key in room,left the door unlocked and that was our check out. Simple and easy. I would definitely recommend it. We plan on staying there again, once we make plans to see our family that live in Roscoe,N.Y. If you want luxury, this isn't the motel for you. Family and fun, is what this place is all about. They are the kindest owners you will meet in a long time. see I told you I would give you a great review. You deserve it. candycorncats signing off.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2014

The owners are very nice and the property is beautiful but the rooms are musty and take your breath away when you open the door. My husband has asthma and my father has lung cancer. They were both suffering when in the rooms. On top of that, the window had no screen so we couldn't even air the room out. Everything was dusty in side. The carpet was old and gross. I was afraid to take my shoes off. There was no TV remote and the wifi barely worked inside the room. The shower was nice at first until someone else in the building started using their water and then I lost all water pressure and the water became freezing cold. Happened twice during my 10 min shower. Overall, I was grossed out and disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Ann S
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I was looking for a place in the area where we could bring our dog, as we were visiting friends nearby. Most places I called were booked, and I finally came upon the Rockland House. Clearly the reviews here are not great, and the very low price of the room alarmed me a bit. So I called and spoke to Tom, the owner, who was very pleasant. I felt bad doing it, but I referenced the bad reviews and asked him if he could guarantee that the rooms were clean and free of bugs, etc. He said they are, and that he keeps the price low because there is a bar on premises, and they don't want people to drive drunk from there. And apparently camp counselors and fishermen stay there, as well. Fair enough.

Upon arrival, the place looked decent from the outside, on a well-kept piece of property. Right next door is the Roscoe Brewing Co., which gives tastings and sells growlers of their nice beers.

Anyway, it was no surprise that the room was nothing fancy, by any means. It was, however, clean as promised, and not that bad at all. The tattered carpet remnant that served as a doormat was a misguided attempt at dressing up the place. I said to my husband that a few cheap welcome mats would go a long way as far as sprucing up the appearance a bit. There was an old (not flat) TV that worked perfectly fine. We were satisfied with the setup.

There is also a little coffee room with a microwave, toaster oven and a little table and chairs. That was a nice touch. In addition, the property has a couple of picnic tables.

We woke up early Saturday and headed out. We were going to bring our dog, but then there was an issue with bringing her around my friends' animals, so my husband dropped her off for a little while back at the room. After he left, he asked me to call the motel and let them know not to send housekeeping to our room, because God forbid the dog would bite them or something. I called around 9, and it rang and rang and then went to a fax machine. I called back shortly thereafter and got a voicemail, so I left a message about it.

Later at the bar, after racking up a hefty tab having dinner there (not that it was expensive in general) I recognized the owner from an online photo and started to introduce myself. He immediately expressed annoyance with my having called in the morning, saying that he'd been up until 5 a.m. the night before and that I should've left a note on the door. I told him apologetically that I didn't think of it until after we'd left.

But the more I thought about it, I was truly taken aback by his attitude. I had called a place of business well within business hours, after 9 a.m. If he tends to keep very late nights, perhaps he should have someone else to answer phones at his motel. We not only stayed two nights but also spent money eating and drinking there. To be admonished for having awakened him at an hour when most people are awake was ridiculous. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't I the one paying to be provided a service?

It was a shame, because my experience there was generally good, but that interaction really left me with a negative impression.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jessica S
Reviewed March 30, 2014

It was the only motel open this time of year. The man that checked us in was very nice. The other rooms were being used by contractors. The walls were so thin we could hear them coming back late at night from the bar with whatever women they picked up. And we could hear EVERYTHING. Luckily for us, and unluckily for the poor women, it didn't last more than a minute and a half. If you need a motel and there are not any others open, go to Liberty.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Stacey P
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Stayed her last Saturday with the wife. $55 gets you a king size bed. Place was fine, seemed clean. We didn't use the shower so can't comment on it. It had running water and heat so for $55 in Roscoe NY what more could I ask for? There's a bar/restaurant in the front of the establishment in a separate building. Service was fine.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family