Roxbury Village Inn
US$160
Hotel Vienna(Windham)(Great Value!)
US$126
US$111
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed September 21, 2013

It helps to preface my review with a disclaimer: please understand that the Roxbury Village Inn is really Adam's home with rooms for guests to stay in. The house, to my understanding, does not accept guests every weekend as it is Adam's private domicile. Do not go there expecting turn-down service or coffee made every morning (although if it isn't already made, he will offer to or you can just make your own). Do not go there expecting concierge. Do go there expecting a very comfortable room in a ridiculously nice home. Do go there expecting to feel like a (welcomed) guest in his home. I loved the house! If you get the chance to talk with Adam or play with his insanely adorable dog, Taz, he is super nice and hilarious! We found him very considerate.

One complaint: The doors in our room didn't latch shut. This wasn't really a problem since we ended up being the only guests in the whole house.

All in all, I recommend this place if it is available!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sujata R
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed at the Roxbury Village Inn this September along with several friends and absolutely fell in love with this place! The decor and interior are elegant and beautiful, and you feel you have stepped into another era. Besides the interior and well-kept furnishings and the lovely garden, the best treat of this place are the exceptional artworks of Adam Cohen the artist who runs this Inn. The hosts were very gracious and hospitable and he even gave us a great talk about the history of the house, as we were curious to know. He also let us see his studio and paintings. He is an exceptionally gifted artist and a wonderful host. We overstayed our check-out time and he did not once remind us. The house was very comfortable, quiet and relaxing. DEFINITELY coming back again! A well-kept secret abode.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maddie_SJ
Reviewed November 27, 2011

I loved my stay at Adams Inn. It's mire like going home to your moms (terribly elegant) home. It is a good fit for artistic and open minded relaxed people with an eccentric independent edge.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Bilkzimm
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Hello,
I have bought a weekend and this place in August and the owner has promissed to pick me up from the station before I have made a reservation. When I have made a reservation and wanted to arranged the time of my arrival 3 days before the trip he has informed me that he have had plans left the hotel and I have not received my money back till now. He has a deal with bloomspot which has offered me a refund but never issued so please be careful and DO NOT GO THERE EVER. Please do not buy anything on bloomspot too since they will not refund your money if there will be a problem. I am going take legal steps against the owner since both of them do not care about ay customer.

Room Tip: do not go there, you will be used
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank gabriela a
Cherylfrank, General Manager at Roxbury Village Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

I don't know why this woman has placed a complaint? She purchased reservations for my Inn on Bloomspot.com and then calls me expecting transportation which I do not provide. I tell everyone who plans a visit to the Catskills a car is absolutely essential. There are no bus or train stations in Roxbury and there are no taxi's. She is absolutely correct, I did give her a prompt refund. I think she ought to have titled her review " don't ever go to the Catskills without a car" since this complaint has nothing to do with accommodations.

Reviewed September 2, 2011

While the house is historic and nicely decorated, we did not enjoy our stay here. The owner, artist Adam Cohen is NOT a gracious host and makes you feel like you are intruding in HIS house. While "The Blue room" was clean and nicely decorated, it had none of the things you would need such as a mirror or tv to entertain you!

The house is a victorian mansion, nicely upkept. It is owned by Adam, who uses it as his artistist space away from the city. The 2nd floor rooms are much nicer and spacious than the 3rd floor/attic rooms. The blue room was small and cramped. My bedroom at home in the city is bigger, which tells you something. If you get a 3rd room floor, get the purple room as it is much more spacious! The 2nd floor suite was lovely and had a sleeping porch, nicely decorated. I enjoyed the house itself and the heated pool outback but felt uncomfortable all throughout my visit due to the presence of Adam which is HORRIBLE. The second night, Adam had to leave and had a college student housesit and it was SOOOO much better. She let us swim and was helpful when we asked her questions. If not for Adam, I would have had a much better experience here.

Breakfast consisted of homemade cake and coffee. Adam makes the cakes himself the night before. The coffee had good flavor and the cake was good but I expected more from a Bed and BREAKFAST place. We did go down to a cafe one morning and they had complete breakfasts if you wanted for a reasonable price. I was full on the cake and coffee so didnt need another breakfast.

The town of Roxbury does not have much to do. Kirkside park across the street, behind the chuch is lovely with little bridges and a trail to trek up. I didnt get a chance to go on the trial but would have if my significant other would have agreed. We checked out "The Roxbury Motel" and it was delightful. If you have to stay in Roxbury, stay there!

During our day there, we traveled to Howe Caverns ~1hr away and enjoyed it. There is also a nice trail to a waterfall about 30min away at Minekill State Park on Hwy 30 that I would have liked to visit. On the way up to Roxbury, we went whitewater tubing at Phoenicia which was a ton of fun but challenging. ALso stopped by Woodstock which has some stores for shopping. Overall enjoyed the little town of Phoenicia better, it had nice restaurants, antique shops and apparently a railroad museum which I missed.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Brendabruin

Thank you for confirming the beautiful decor and cleanliness of our Inn. We pride ourselves in keeping this old house in mint condition and in a fashion forward style. All my room photo's are posted on my website and the range of rooms differ in size and cost. The spacious suite with sleeping porch and sitting room may be larger than your average nyc apartment bedroom, the considerably smaller third floor Blue bedroom possibly may not be. I do guarantee however that you will not find a mountain view from your nyc window or the foothills of the Catskills from you apartment building door! I'm sorry that you were under the impression that we are a B&B, we are not. We serve amazing coffee and coffee cake in the morning only. I try my best to communicate this with everyone who makes a reservations through me and suggest that everyone check out my website where this is clearly stated. I sincerely strive to create a positive experience for all my guests.