“Cozy local place with outstanding food”
Review of Fiddlehead Bistro

Fiddlehead Bistro
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Saranac
Price range: US$8 - US$35
Reviewed 20 October 2017

We had supper on a Sunday night in late September. The chef was out of town and a different chef was filling in, although I would not have known otherwise. The restaurant ran smoothly, our server was lovely and efficient and the food was delicious. We shared the tomato and corn soup to start - it was fresh and full of flavor. I had the pasta special - a mushroom ravioli with a killer cream based sauce (I really could have licked the plate) and my husband had the big pork chop with house-made sauerkraut - he even asked for a second side of the sauerkraut. We also shared a cheese plate for dessert - and my new favorite cheese is definitely the Poundcake from Sugar House Creamery. All in all, a wonderful evening and experience. Would definitely return and highly recommend.

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

I stayed over a Sunday night in Saranac Lake after a canoe trip with friends. It's not easy to find a good meal in this town on Sundays in the fall--a lot of restaurants are closed. Based on the reviewed, Fiddlehead looked like a good choice.

I didn't see a sign outside, so actually walked past the restaurant before realizing I'd missed it. Inside, it was pretty hot, and they had deployed a number of fans to try to cool things off, with only partial success.

I ordered a pork rillette appetizer, which was billed a being served with mustard and pickles. I was expecting some type of charcuterie, but I got a ramekin of piping hot braised pork. The pickles were root vegetables. Only the whole Dijon mustard was what I had envisioned. It was ok, but if it had been described more accurately, I probably would have ordered something else. I then had grilled shrimp, served with corn puree, pepper coulis and sauteed leeks. The combination of flavors was quite nice, but the dish was not improved by the scoopful of nondescript rice on the plate. I would have preferred more be made of the corn puree than tack on another starch.

Service was friendly and fine. The dining room became a bit noisy with the sound of the kitchen as things got busier.

Fiddlehead strikes me as a restaurant with intentions better than its execution, but you'll wind up with a decent meal. If you are in town on a Sunday, it's probably one of your best choices.

Reviewed 24 September 2017

I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of vegetarian options at this small restaurant. Food was innovative and delicious and service was warm and efficient.

Reviewed 10 September 2017

Had the opportunity to have dinner at Fiddlehead Bistro during my last visit to Saranac Lake. I thought everything was pretty perfect, but giving it a 4 because I thought it was a bit pricey for the area and the offerings. The atmosphere is very nice. This is in a newly renovated building. It's a small restaurant so reservations are recommended. It's a limited menu, but each of the dishes look delicious. I had the steak and it was excellent. Drinks were great and a good size. Like I said, it was expensive. I would definitely go again, but don't expect a budget meal experience!

Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

If You want amazing food, which is given a lot of effort to source and prepared by two wonderful people ( Front and back of the house) who create a great environment with creative preparations this is the place you have to come.

1  Thank LPSomm